• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hello to all......i kneel before thee.

48 posts in this topic

would somebody please explain what a "shill" account is? confused.gif

In eBay terms, a shill is an account used to artificially bump up the price of an item for sale! 893naughty-thumb.gif

That would be an account used to bid up the price of an item being auctioned. The intent not being to buy the item, but to force up the bids of the legitimate bidders to very close to their max bid.

Or even outbidding the legitimate bidders hoping to get a higher counter bid.

But in any case, a shill account is basically used in any way possible to manipulate auction prices higher.

would somebody please explain what a "shill" account is? confused.gif

In the context I used it in it's an account used for adding to your star rating and taking away from others.

I just wanted to know why you're interested in the slabbed versions of what you named to be some of the more notable, and best, stuff around for reading and enjoying

Don't worry; I purchase reading copies of these great books before I ever think about starting my high grade, slabbed collection.

I wonder why you've also decided to go with CGC copies or get your current ones slabbed? I remember buying the entire run for about $15 putting it together with vf/nm copies and better when two stores closed and put everything in the 25 and 50 cent bins...

The books I end up slabbing or wanting slabbed copies of are older books, worth a lot of money, that I wouldn't take out of the mylar anyway for fear of damaging.

By the way, Byrne Alpha Flight? You're only the second person I know who ever said they wanted slabbed alpha flights.

My pursuit of the Simonson Thor, Miller Daredevil, amd Byrne Alpha Flight runs in in no way speculative. I don't intend to make money on flipping slabbed copies of these low value books. In fact, I realize that it will probably cost me a lot more than the books and the grading/slabbing will cost to complet these runs in 9.6 or better. Truth is, I don't care. The only reason I want to put these runs together is out of nostalgia and to display them nicely when I have the complete runs.

If there's one thing you'll learn on these boards, JLF, it's that there is no right or wrong way to collect comics. There are simply preferences. Just because you don't find it necessary to have your books in all 9.6 and above, doesn't mean others shouldn't. And just because a lot of the guys here talk about high grade books as if they are the only books that exist or are worth collecting, doesn't mean they're right.

In the end, it funnels down to one common precept: a love for comics. Some like them raw, others slabbed. Some like high grade, or mid grade, or low grade, or a mix. Some like volume, some own very few. Some only collect Marvel, others only DC, and many collect a mix of many titles.

If you stay here awhile, you'll see a lot of emphasis on high grade comics and slabbing. This is very logical because it's the CGC forum. If it were a Batman forum, they wouldn't spend all their time discussing North Star. They'd talk Batman. So this forum does talk about CGC, grading, and market trends quite a bit. However, there is no 'rule' about this, so anyone is free to discuss their collecting preferences, regardless of whether it's CGC-related or not.

A real plus for the collector is the fact that a lot of ebay sellers and dealers are here. This means you can talk about want lists and have a shot at finding someone who has the books you need. And you can learn who the good dealers on ebay are, and the bad. It's a real advantage to get to know the people here if you're interested in collecting. It's quite an interesting, diverse, and sometimes rowdy bunch, but there is a camaraderie between most of the guys, and that makes for safer transactions.

In short, this forum is what you make of it, as long you remember that no collecting habit is wrong, and no one's collecting preferences have intrinsically more value than another's.

-- Joanna

Oh, I don't have any problem with the books Rui targets, just was curious (which he explained) why he wanted them cgc'd. The Byrne FF, Simonson Thor, etc. are all runs of books which still had some of the classic stories, with a slightly more modern feel. Plus, those are the books I grew up on as well... so i have a real fondness for them.