• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide How To Define "Restoration"

42 posts in this topic

This week's Scoop, no doubt in response to the revelation that the definition of "restoration" had been inadvertently modified to exclude pressing in the Price Guide, asks for input on several questions surrounding the definition of restoration.

I encourage everyone to submit their positions, whatever they might be. This is an opportunity for individuals to play a role in shaping the landscape of the hobby.

Making The Grade - Part 1

Superstars, Scoop, Friday, April 21, 2006

So, you think you know comic book grading? We'd like to hear from you!

We're hard at work on this summer's new edition of The Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide. We've had a lot of feedback since the last edition was published more than three years ago, but we're eager for your thoughts.

This week's question:

How would you define "Restoration" in comics?

What would you include and not include?

Would you delineate between professional restoration and amateur restoration? And if so, what would be the determining factors?

What, if any, forms of restoration are acceptable to you?

And why?

And under what circumstances?

We're eager for as many opinions as possible! Let us know what you think! feedback@gemstonepub.com

does it have to be a researched esay? Or can we simply state that we agree with the Overstreet definitions pre-2006 AND that pressing IS definitely a restoration technique?

I'm sure they will accept and consider any submissions they receive. Of course, I don't speak for Gemstone. I'm just alerting everyone to the invitation extended to submit our positions.

I actually hated this new PRICE GUIDE. I can see the direction they are taking it. Its starting to stray away from comics and getting into areas that have nothing to do with comics. And some of the new stuff they are adding like the dumb cartoons explaining comic ages and such are just insulting to collectors. This was, in my opinion, the worst guide they put out. I could point out so much stuff about this new guide that just p@#$%s me off about it. As far as I'm concerned they better rethink what direction they are taking the guide. Because I'm not gonna be buying trash like this again. mad.gif

It takes a lot to get me angry. This OS managed to do it. Might as well vent here cause they're not gonna listen anyway. frustrated.gif

ANYTHING that manipulates the grade. sumo.gif

gossip.gif Pressing manipulates the grade up. Nothing is added, but the book is "manipulated" up in grade. It is, to me anyway, the same as undisclosed restoration.....the book has been made better than it originally was/is. 893naughty-thumb.gif If I were a "Ultra-High Grade" collector I would be screaming this from the roof tops. These guy's are the one's who'll lose the most.

I don't have a problem with conservation, but pressing, color touch, pieces added, ect fall into "cosmetic enhancement" to me. A tear seal is less objectinable if it conserves the book. Just MHO. hi.gif

ANYTHING that manipulates the grade. sumo.gif

Period. This one line would be enough without detailing anything else that can and can't be done.

Conservation and Restoration are quite distinct in the art world:

Conservation is the profession devoted to the preservation of cultural property for the future. Conservation activities include examination, documentation, treatment, and preventive care, supported by research and education. (Definition taken from the Core Documents of The American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works - see external links.) Art conservation is not identical to art restoration. Restoration is a process that attempts to return the work of art to some previous state that restorer imagines to be "original". This was commonly done in the past. However, in the late 20th century a separate concept of conservation was developed that is more concerned with preserving the work of art for the future, and less with making it look pristine. Restoration is controversial, since it often involves some unreversable change to the original material of the artwork with the goal of making it "look good."

Art conservation can involve the cleaning and stabilization of art work. Ideally, any process used is reversible, departures from that ideal not being undertaken lightly. Cleaning is not a reversable process and can sometimes be controversial due to fears that cleaning would damage a piece, or on the grounds that damage or residue forms part of the history of a given piece and should not be modified. The statue of David has undergone two cleanings to remove dirt that had accumulated on the statue's surface.

Cleaning is not a reversable process and can sometimes be controversial due to fears that cleaning would damage a piece, or on the grounds that damage or residue forms part of the history of a given piece and should not be modified. The statue of David has undergone two cleanings to remove dirt that had accumulated on the statue's surface.

My second lest form of conservation. Labeled as "restoration" these days, but probably the lest alteration of a book. It does alter a book, but it at the same time cleans/clears harmful pollutants. Cleaning should, however, be disclosed at all times.........because it does alter the current state of the book. thumbsup2.gif

restoration and conservation on artworks ought to be considered far diffferently when [erformed on comics. Cleaning the David, whether safely causing no damage, or even if caustic and an arm falls off, doesnt matter because there will only be that one original statue. Same with paintings. The Last Supper is a gresco pained on a wall... its probably has less than 20% of its original color and material used in its creation. But its still the Last Supper. Remember the Sistine Chapel? It had been painted and fudged over for centuries befor ea "final' complete overhaul last decade.

But comics are not one of a kind. If you enhance, restore or conserve ONE copy, you change the its place in the pecking order compared to its siblings. And since the underlying basis of value to paper collectibles like comics is their condiiton, meaning the surrrendipitousness of damage to them or lack thereof, you have cheated helping one copy vault over others and become more valuable.

Its no less than a sin, like killing a mockinbird. (just had to get silly since Ive made this same post about eight times on these boards.)

Understand your point Aman, but I disagree. The originality, or one of kind, is not the point. The point is "what is restoration", and "is this [insert item here] restored". In antiques, photographs, etc, the same thing holds.

sure it matters ... but "real" artworks have been restored repeatedly with no bearing on value. How can there be? If one wants a certain piece or work, you cant choose between a restored and unrestored one. But in comics we can.

But comics are not one of a kind. If you enhance, restore or conserve ONE copy, you change the its place in the pecking order compared to its siblings. And since the underlying basis of value to paper collectibles like comics is their condiiton, meaning the surrrendipitousness of damage to them or lack thereof, you have cheated helping one copy vault over others and become more valuable.

This is my stance on pressing, and my main arguement against it. thumbsup2.gif

Cleaning, while it does require dis-assembly, just doesn't bother me (me, that is) as much as a pressed book. Cleaning should, however, be disclosed. Pressing should also be disclosed. Both forms manipulate the book. Cleaning will, at least, have the quality of reducing pollutants. Pressing is the pure manipulation of the cosmetic appearance of the book......there is no "need" for conservation purposes to press a book.

yup. as for cleaning and deacidification, I think the latter should get a pass as it preserves the books. But its still work and isnt disassembly required? SO thats too radical for me. Maybe in 30 years as the GA books are really in danger Id change my mind. (If Ill care at that point!)