• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey LightHouse, Whaja Sellin' Tha Colt 35-center?

65 posts in this topic

Lighthouse, any reason the books aren't in any order, not even by title? I would think it would be easier for the customer if the books were grouped together by title. People in your shop must suffer from "vertigo" when looking at the wall. grin.gif

Lighthouse, any reason the books aren't in any order, not even by title? I would think it would be easier for the customer if the books were grouped together by title. People in your shop must suffer from "vertigo" when looking at the wall.

The books in the back issue boxes are meticulously organized, because the goal is to help the customer find exactly what they are looking for with a minimum of fuss.

But the wall is more about attracting the eyes, directing traffic flow, and encouraging impulse shopping. I use the wall to steer customers to certain parts of the store by adjusting the color patterns on the wall. I put highly visible books next to those I actually want to sell, as people tend to fix on an item that catches their eye, pan the area immediately around it, then jump to a different section of the wall (or the store). The slots immediately to the left and right of Superman 75 sell 25-30% better than the average slot on the wall. The slot directly below Hulk 340 does nearly as well. And the slot to the left of JLA 1 is one of the best on the entire wall.

Certain things ARE grouped together, particularly if I have lots of copies I want to move. At the time of that photo I had 15 full sets of the Wolvie mini, plus 20+ copies of Wolvie 1. I was in the same boat with ASM 252 and SW8. After I had sold through a fair number of copies, I rearranged that section to highlight other books. Probably 70% of the wall gets reshuffled every month, whether from turnover or from me needing to keep the wall fresh. But there are a few books that have anchor locations that never change. I bring in groups of local Girl Scouts (courtesy of one of my employees who is finishing her Gold Award, the equivalent of Eagle Scout) and have them walk through the doors and tell me the first five things they look at. I run the same drill with some guys from a local D&D group. I use that data to make subtle adjustments in the wall layout.

So I guess the short answer to the question is yes, there is a reason. tongue.gif

So I guess the short answer to the question is yes, there is a reason

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't"

Never question the House, AK! wink.gif

Chris

I'm thinking the same thing, and feel that a fair ending price would be between $200-$250, but anything higher would be highly unlikely.

Okay, so I was 2 bucks over... 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2175922026&category=12589