• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any problems shipping a $360.00 book to Canada?

55 posts in this topic

Just FYI. I sent a CGC comic to a buyer (on this board) in Canada on 4/2/03 (give or take a day) and he got it last week (5/23/03). That's over seven weeks via "7 day" air mail. On the other hand the same person sent me a book and I got it in six or seven days. Go figure.

Here's the deal with Canada-USA shipping.

If you ship from Major City to Major City, the delivery times are usually within a week. My stuff gets here fast, most of the time quicker than BC or Alberta.

If you remove one of the "Major City" points from the above equation, you can add a week or two (potentially) to the time, and if neither sender or recipient lives in a metropolitan area, then God knows when it will arrive.

So if you're experiencing shipping delays, and if the buyer and/or the seller live in the middle of nowhere, shut yer piehole!! grin.gif

So if you're experiencing shipping delays, and if the buyer and/or the seller live in the middle of nowhere, shut yer piehole!! grin.gif

I know you're kidding, but just for the record I get all my mail at a "Mailboxes Etc." in Santa Fe, not at my home. He sent me a package and I got it in a week. The day after I got the package from him I sent my package and he got it 7 weeks later. Anyone that pretends to understand that might as well say that the comic book market is crashing. grin.gif

If you ship from Major City to Major City, the delivery times are usually within a week. My stuff gets here fast, most of the time quicker than BC or Alberta.

If you remove one of the "Major City" points from the above equation, you can add a week or two (potentially) to the time, and if neither sender or recipient lives in a metropolitan area, then God knows when it will arrive.

It's going to Englewood, Saskatchewan. The buyer is paying by Money Order.

I hope there are not any hassles with that.

So why did my (Northern Virginia/major post office) package sent to Bronty (Vancouver) take 5 weeks?

Donut,

If the box was opened or just assessed 7% tax, it could have been sitting at Customs for 1 week for invoicing. If bronty did not receive his initial pick up slip, this could have caused another 5 day delay for the Final postal pick up slip to arrive. Those Customs ppl are a very suspicious lot looking to grab taxes at EVERY turn. mad.gif

Depending on the value of the comic, 2 day fed ex is another option. Usually cruises by the Customs ppl. Best online tracking on the planet. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great! I'll check with Fed EX. tomorrow as there is an office in the building I work in.

I always thought they were really expensive, but it sure doesn't hurt to check. It is a CGC book. smile.gif

Thanks.

You can probably send one CGC book via international economy (2 day) for around $20 US. However, they will only insure collectibles for $500. Usually not a problem because there tracking is top notch and service is great! All my CGC books get returned from CGC via internation economy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I asked at my PO and they said they could only insure a package to Canada for $600. Is that right?

I am thinking of shipping to Canada using FedEx, but if they only insure up to $500, isn't there a risk? What about UPS? What is their insurance limit? Is UPS reliable to Canada?

With respect to customs, should I NOT include and invoice and mail the invoice seperately? Or will they be suspicious? Do they have a copy of Overstreet sitting at every Customs Office? How do they have any darn clue as to the price?

Thanks

Depending on the value of the comic, 2 day fed ex is another option. Usually cruises by the Customs ppl. Best online tracking on the planet. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great! I'll check with Fed EX. tomorrow as there is an office in the building I work in.

I always thought they were really expensive, but it sure doesn't hurt to check. It is a CGC book. smile.gif

Thanks.

You can probably send one CGC book via international economy (2 day) for around $20 US. However, they will only insure collectibles for $500. Usually not a problem because there tracking is top notch and service is great! All my CGC books get returned from CGC via internation economy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I asked at my PO and they said they could only insure a package to Canada for $600. Is that right?

I am thinking of shipping to Canada using FedEx, but if they only insure up to $500, isn't there a risk? What about UPS? What is their insurance limit? Is UPS reliable to Canada?

With respect to customs, should I NOT include and invoice and mail the invoice seperately? Or will they be suspicious? Do they have a copy of Overstreet sitting at every Customs Office? How do they have any darn clue as to the price?

Thanks

In Canada, UPS does NOT provide insurance for any collectibles as per a phone call to them a while back. Don't know if that is the universal rule for all the countries. insane.gif

Customs will open up the Yellow Pages & call the comic retailer w/ the biggest ad. They will then ask how much is Cerebus # # in the price guide & gladly assess the Canuck the NM price as that is what they were quoted on the phone. Customs are not trained to grade comics or sportscards that may have underdeclared value. Customs can't tell the difference between FF 1 record reprint or FF 1 original. Full nm taxes for u, fanboy. mad.gif

Customs will open up the Yellow Pages & call the comic retailer w/ the biggest ad. They will then ask how much is Cerebus # # in the price guide & gladly assess the Canuck the NM price as that is what they were quoted on the phone. Customs are not trained to grade comics or sportscards that may have underdeclared value. Customs can't tell the difference between FF 1 record reprint or FF 1 original. Full nm taxes for u, fanboy. mad.gif

OUCH!

I don't think you will have a problem !! In my experience , I have only had 2 shipments come in and held. One was for a bunch of comics I won from Showcase New England . They put my books into 2 boxes, 1 got separated from the pair, so it was held. I received a notice from the Canada Customs within a few days of receipt of my first box. All they asked for was proof of purchase & value. I faxed them a copy of my CC statement & I had my books within the week. I paid 5 buck when I went to p/u the box at the Post office. They billed me for handling. No GST !! ( Maybe Used ? )

The second time was for a fishing rod that I purchased on E-bay.This time I did pay GST & Handling. ( $13. and change. Maybe New ? ).

On average I receive most of my wins within 2 weeks. 3 weeks at tops !!

I believe that on average most of my sells have been received by the buyers within 2 weeks also.

I sold some books into Australia and he got them within 3 weeks !!

I don't think you will have a problem !! In my experience , I have only had 2 shipments come in and held. One was for a bunch of comics I won from Showcase New England . They put my books into 2 boxes, 1 got separated from the pair, so it was held. I received a notice from the Canada Customs within a few days of receipt of my first box. All they asked for was proof of purchase & value. I faxed them a copy of my CC statement & I had my books within the week. I paid 5 buck when I went to p/u the box at the Post office. They billed me for handling. No GST !! ( Maybe Used ? )

The second time was for a fishing rod that I purchased on E-bay.This time I did pay GST & Handling. ( $13. and change. Maybe New ? ).

On average I receive most of my wins within 2 weeks. 3 weeks at tops !!

I believe that on average most of my sells have been received by the buyers within 2 weeks also.

I sold some books into Australia and he got them within 3 weeks !!

Thanks for the feedback. Book will be sent fully insured and I will put "comic book" on the forms.