• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early 15¢ Bronze "Inside Out" Comic Covers...

26 posts in this topic

When I started collecting in my youth… 20¢ was the cover price.

I missed the Early Bronze 15¢ Era by a year or two in terms of buying off the rack at my beloved 13th Pharmacy. Of course, I acquired some 15¢ers from garage sales and flea markets, but clearly not enough to retain many memories of them.

Recently, I noticed this Iron Man 33 cover from 1971. I was intrigued by the design which was basically a short "interior-style" panel to panel sequence. I don't recall seeing many comic covers like this one... complete with word balloons. Shorty after, I noticed this ASM 89. Very similar, but without any word balloons.

It occured to me that this may have been a bronze design trend that I simply have not seen many examples of. Nothing could top Gil Kane's famous 20¢ picture frame format (in my mind), but I'd love to see more if anyone has other examples...

1229992-IM-33-94%28FT%29.jpg

1229992-IM-33-94(FT).jpg.f9dedf684994dbf0ec104bd2d4a99772.jpg

That FF 140 sure does Vince... and its a 20¢er!

The other 2 are not really "sequential" storytelling. They're more design partitions.

I can't believe I missed (or forgot) too many 20¢ covers like that. I'm still assuming there are more 15¢ examples. Time will tell.

so... there were only (4) I guess?

flamed.gif

I knew I should have put "pressed" in the thread title.

grin.gifyeahok.gifjuggle.gif

Of course not...but your views on pressing are always welcomed... grin.gif

42856589026.34.GIF

Jim

The other 2 are not really "sequential" storytelling. They're more design partitions.

Yeah I know, but so is that Iron Man cover you posted, which is why I gave it a shot. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

You're right... the Iron Man 33 I posted only "gives the illusion" of being sequential. It's really a partition design that spotlights several non sequential crucial moments.

It might help if I actually studied my first example a little more closely. I guess the presence of the "voice balloons" led me to assume.

I guess what I failed to get across was that the IM 33 had the "look & feel" of typical interior panel by panel storytelling. The 2 examples you posted (that I excluded) don't have the same "look & feel" without any voice balloons.

The ASM 89 that I posted (even without voice ballons) is actually a better example than the IM 33 "sequentially speaking".

The Marvel Spotlight 2 and your FF 140 are the best examples thus far of what I thought I was seeing with the Iron Man 33. The Batman 220 fits the bill too.

Yeah I know, but so is that Iron Man cover you posted, which is why I gave it a shot. confused-smiley-013.gif