• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any problems with border control?

11 posts in this topic

Like to hear experiences of any collectors bringing books across the border, how they are declared, how slabbed books are perceived and if they've ever been confiscated or evaluated. Any suggestions of how a collector should handle a situation of bringing books across borders?

I think this was more of a problem back in the early-mid 90's when there was a mass influx of Image books coming in and taking all of Marvel's and DC's jobs. Then again, Image was only making books that nobody else wanted to make. You figure out my analogy.

tongue.gif

Scott

The border patrol will ask u to declare a fair mkt value for your collectible back issues. They may open up the Yellow Pages & call the local dealer with the biggest ad to verify over the phone the Overstreet/Wizard mkt value.

If u dispute their valuation b/c u say u bought it during a 1/2 price sale at a USA retailer or comicon, they will ask u for a receipt with a business tax #. If u argue with them, they will do a thorough search of your vehicle with a German shepherd sniffing for contraband in your quarter panels or glove compartment. They have the option to give u a cavity search. 893naughty-thumb.gif

On a good day, they will skip the anal probe & just confiscate your car until u pay your fair share of importation taxes & double duty for allegedly underdeclaring the value of the paper collectible (comics, rookie cards, etc). Can u afford the back and forth cost & inconvenience of a cab ride from the border to your home in the city, fanboy??

Yet another reason why the border with Canada should be closed. Read my posts in the Bronze horror section about the Canada post if you need clarification.

Scott

anyones in particular to read?

Yet another reason why the border with Canada should be closed. Read my posts in the Bronze horror section about the Canada post if you need clarification.

Scott

Is this a joke? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was joking, but man did I have a hard time with the postal system in your country. Start with the Bronze Horror thread on page 817 and I think I follow up on about 820-21 or so. Nothing at all wrong with the seller, just the delivery system.

Scott

I was joking, but man did I have a hard time with the postal system in your country. Start with the Bronze Horror thread on page 817 and I think I follow up on about 820-21 or so. Nothing at all wrong with the seller, just the delivery system.

Scott

Haven't read the thread but you should label your packacges as "bonded printed matter" or "documents" and it should get through with no problem. That's how Chuck does it.