• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Education on Comic Collecting: Topics

43 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm not a collector or a major buyer of old books, but for fun/education I sometimes read this board.

I think another good topic for newbies would be "Scarce" comics. I hear Overstreet lists some books as scarce that really aren't that hard to find.

Are there any comics that are truly scarce? Any chance of a listing?

Also: what tricks to some shady dealers try to pull? An old one is selling a modern reprint of Action Comics #1 and claiming it's the real thing.

And one more thing, a catalogue of counterfiet comics and how to detect them. Thanks to a scan on my old comic history site, I discovered I was using a counterfiet scan of Cerebus #1 and a dealer was using it to convince people his counterfiets were the real deal. Oops! I made the correction when notified and told the dealer, but he didn't want to accept his counterfiets were counterfiets.

Who's the dealer?

Hi guys. Great topic! I'm currently writing a book on buying and selling comics on ebay and these are exactly the kinds of things new users need to know.

What do you think about the idea for a book? Do you think there's a market for something like this? I've been buying and selling on ebay for 7 years now and I think there are far too many un-informed people trying to sell comics. This is a niche market for sure, but I think people might buy a book like this.

Let me know what you think!