• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: Is there a market for hard-bound comics?

23 posts in this topic

I've always been fascinated in hard-bound comics, but never actually owned any. I know of a killer hard-bound collection of Showcase #'s 1-11, but could never begin to understand how much something like that would be worth, or if there is a market for it. Any ideas or thoughts on the market for hard-bound comics, or the values of some you have known about?

Here's an interesting example of a hardcover...less than 10 years old...

from a "non-Major" publisher:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2174368329

That's cool... laugh.gif

What I'm referring to is a little different. Imagine taking a bunch of comics -- lets say a run of Mad comics 1-10. They are the real comics which are professionally hardbound just like a library would do with its older periodicals. So the books inside are the original comics when they first were published, and in most cases are in perfect condition because of the protective nature of the harcover format.

Twenty years ago, collections would surface that had been bound. As they seemed to sell for a fraction of what the individual books would have sold for, I guess they discouraged newer collectors from repeating the process. .They look real nice but you might as well just laminate the books as you'll be destroying the future value in either case.

Ahhh...I see.

Well, there would have to be some "damage" to at least the spine

in order to bind the books inside a hardcover.

(Glue and maybe trimming)

If done correctly, the end result would be nice, no doubt...

but it would appeal to a smaller "market" than the original books.

The "hidden damage" would probably affect the perception that

though the books are original, and they appear "well-preserved",

thoughts of that left edge might cause nightmares if top-dollar was paid.

I guess it's similar to restoration, in that it could be done by amateurs or professionals,

with differing results, but the end result is that the books would probably

be much less desirable than the originals...unless the "binding work" could be reversed.

Twenty years ago, collections would surface that had been bound. As they seemed to sell for a fraction of what the individual books would have sold for, I guess they discouraged newer collectors from repeating the process. .They look real nice but you might as well just laminate the books as you'll be destroying the future value in either case.

I can understand where you're coming from, but how about if the hard-bound collection was something really difficult to obtain in any grade? Like for instance, a complete run of Suspense 1-11 or Action Comics 1-11? I vaguely remember a guy selling a run of Amazing Spider-Man from AF 15 - ASM 100 on eBay. I never followed the auction, but he was asking some serious money for it. I always thought the Showcase 1-11 was neat because it had several key books (1st & 2nd app of SA Flash, Lois Lane and Challengers of the Uknown).

I have bid on a few sets myself. If it is something you like,by all means go for it. All I am doing is warning about future resale value. If you intend to keep it for yourself ,then that is not an issue. They make very attractive additions to a collection.

Imagine taking a bunch of comics -- lets say a run of Mad comics 1-10. They are the real comics which are professionally hardbound just like a library would do with its older periodicals. So the books inside are the original comics when they first were published, and in most cases are in perfect condition because of the protective nature of the harcover format.

Under the heading of "You have to see/read it to believe it", this was promoted in some of the early Overstreet price guides as a way to protect your books!! blush.gif It's in the "Preservation" section of some of the early price guides...

There are numerous examples of publisher's bound file copies that exist. I have seen several of the Dell bound volumes over the years. A number of years ago Jack Kirby's personal bound copies of Captain America were offered for sale. Bound copies also exist as it was one of the best ways at the time to keep publications in good condition. Various magazine and newspaper publishers all bound their publications.

Comics are cropped/trimmed on at least 1 edge usually to fit the std book binding hardcover size.

Does anyone know if there were any exceptions to this standard? Any custom hardcovers created to fit a full-sized comic so as to avoid any trimming?

Of the dozen or more sets I have come across, they were all trimmed in one manner or another. Before collecting comics took off in the early to mid sixties this seems to have been a popular way of storing books. I have seen only one set of bronze books, the rest are early siver age or older.

Comics are cropped/trimmed on at least 1 edge usually to fit the std book binding hardcover size.

Does anyone know if there were any exceptions to this standard? Any custom hardcovers created to fit a full-sized comic so as to avoid any trimming?

I recall a bound Conan set that was not trimmed in some old Sothebys or Christies catalog.

I have a New Gods and Forever People bound sets and both of them are trimmed! makepoint.gif

Did you have them bound or did you purchase them as such?If you did them yourself could you share your thoughts as to why you did it?

I bought them bounded for the equivalent of around $30 for each set. Cheap enough for me to have and read. smile.gif

It sounds like you got a Real Nice deal.They are an excellent addition to almost any collection. I passed up a nice Tales to Astonish lot awhile ago because I ws worried about future market value. They make a heelllofa better display than those white cardboard boxes.Any chance they are from the Kings' own collection?

It sounds like you got a Real Nice deal.They are an excellent addition to almost any collection. I passed up a nice Tales to Astonish lot awhile ago because I ws worried about future market value. They make a heelllofa better display than those white cardboard boxes.Any chance they are from the Kings' own collection?

Nah...I bought it up in Canada! Highly unlikely his copies migrated up here!

There are numerous examples of publisher's bound file copies that exist. I have seen several of the Dell bound volumes over the years. A number of years ago Jack Kirby's personal bound copies of Captain America were offered for sale. Bound copies also exist as it was one of the best ways at the time to keep publications in good condition. Various magazine and newspaper publishers all bound their publications.

Tom;

Since you most likely work closely with the gang at Overstreet, would you know if personal bound copies from noted personalities such as Kirby would carry any value in the marketplace? Since bound books are always trimmed, I know that they would most likely go for substantially less than the original books. It would be nice if the provenance carry some weight in the marketplace.

I know a fellow collector in town who has Harry Wildenberg's personal bound copies of Famous Funnies #1 - #5. I don't think you can go much earlier than that. For anybody that doesn't know, Wildenberg is often acknowledged as one of the driving forces behind the creation of the modern comic book back in the early 1930's. According to Robert Beerbohm on page 298 - 299 of the OPG, it was basically his idea for the creation of the comic book.

Still don't understand why Max Gaines who was just one of the sales staff working under the direction of Wildenberg appears to have gotten most of the credit for the creation of the modern comic book.

Any idea as to the value of this early bound set?