• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: Is there a market for hard-bound comics?

23 posts in this topic

These appear to be bound comics,which is the topic of this thread. However these same books were the topic of another thread here about four months ago, as someone was asking about them claiming this was a special edition that was given to editors at Marvel,or something like that. As for the value-it is what it is. The market will determine the value-its just that books like this have a smaller market to determine it. If this was a NM hulk collection containing same books do you think there might be more than 5 bids?

ummm, is this the type of book you are referring to?

Click right here!!

if so then i would say there seems to be some sort of market for them, although this cat may want a bit too much for it. who can say till the auction ends though.

That's it alright! Thanks for the contributions of all. It seems that there is a market for the books, but I have a funny feeling that most of the people owning them have a considerable amount of money tied-up.

I've been strongly considering the Showcase set just because its a fairly difficult run to obtain... or is it? I mean, ya, I could go out and buy some reader copies of 1-11 and pay poor prices, and then bind the book. And seeing that the books in most hardbound are trimmed, it doesn't really matter if my run includes some low-mid grade restored books... but what are my chances of putting together a run like that at a cheap enough price?

I can't even recall seeing too many copies of Showcase 4 selling for reasonable prices... even beater copies sell strong! I don't ever see myself binding a book, but I would sooner consider buying a bound run if the price was appealing enough. For these reasons, I would have to believe that there is a market, but from reading some of the ideas here, it seems a terrible shame that someone decided to assemble such a run of nice books in a hardbound format. At least from a values standpoint.

Now just out of curiousity, someone once told me to use a formula for buying harbound books that was something like paying poor prices for each issue because they were trimmed. Does this sound about right? And should this theory change if the somehow the hardcover was custom designed to not need a trim on the comics?

The provenance of the bound copies should carry some weight in the marketplace. As for a value I think that would be determined based on the interest for the item.