• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS vs. regular slabs

85 posts in this topic

Anyway, getting back to the spirit of the original post

ASM # 250 is CGC 9.6

ASM #250 is CGC SS 9.6

What is worth more? Or is it purely equal value unless you desire SS and are willing to pay a bit more?

gossip.gif Whose signature?

Anyway, getting back to the spirit of the original post

ASM # 250 is CGC 9.6

ASM #250 is CGC SS 9.6

What is worth more? Or is it purely equal value unless you desire SS and are willing to pay a bit more?

gossip.gif Whose signature?

Lets say the artist or writer. Just an average signature, not something that is scarce or in high demand.

Your response presupposes that collectors will pay more for a copy of a book with a signature than one without a signature.In the 1980s,I had a FF #1 with a Jack Kirby signature on it. In fact,I had a small number of books that had his signatures and could show that they were from a person who lived down the block from Kirby in Williston Park.Not one of them sold for close to guide.

There seems to be a small segment of collectors who will pay more for autographed comics,but this is a new trend.Just as there are now coin collectors who collect colorized coins.but,I believe,but these are small subsections of the overall collector base.

If I have 100 copies of Spawn #1 that I can't sell for $5,do you really believe I can fake Todds signature and now sell them for $25?Not to traditional collectors,thats for sure.

I don't remember the final result but Mark Zaid was offering a EE#1,signed by Kirby,here a few months ago and the world wasn't beating down the door bidding on it.

Yes because I would only be buying the grade. I do not like McFarlane so the SS isn't important to me. I am with you Chris on the books I send in for SS. I buy it because of a certain attachment to the creator or the issue. I do not buy it because the creator is hot right now.

I slabbed both books myself, and the difference between the 2 books is pretty much a slightly rounded corner.

I hate paint marker sigs, but the signed copy is the superior book. I wish the signature was on the interior....but sometimes you gotta take what you get.

I don't miss the 9.8 at all.....and am happy to make the 9.6 my permanent keeper. 1st McFarlane Spidey. Done. cloud9.gif

If the two books were priced the same,I'd go for the one that looked the nicest.

In the case of the MTU 53...it's the same book.

I guess the question is this:

Would you pay an additional $22 + shipping to turn the old label book into the yellow label one?

This thread has focused on the purchase of Sig Series books that were submitted by others. No need to pay a premium if you don't want to. Pick a book...scan the convention schedules....and submit it. thumbsup2.gif

I slabbed both books myself, and the difference between the 2 books is pretty much a slightly rounded corner.

I hate paint marker sigs, but the signed copy is the superior book. I wish the signature was on the interior....but sometimes you gotta take what you get.

I don't miss the 9.8 at all.....and am happy to make the 9.6 my permanent keeper. 1st McFarlane Spidey. Done. cloud9.gif

That is what the SS should be about. I can't wait to hear the grade on my Wrightson SS. Then I will have a 9.4 blue label and whatever the SS is.

th_Batman320.jpgth_Batman320.jpg

Your response presupposes that collectors will pay more for a copy of a book with a signature than one without a signature.In the 1980s,I had a FF #1 with a Jack Kirby signature on it. In fact,I had a small number of books that had his signatures and could show that they were from a person who lived down the block from Kirby in Williston Park.Not one of them sold for close to guide.

There seems to be a small segment of collectors who will pay more for autographed comics,but this is a new trend.Just as there are now coin collectors who collect colorized coins.but,I believe,but these are small subsections of the overall collector base.

If I have 100 copies of Spawn #1 that I can't sell for $5,do you really believe I can fake Todds signature and now sell them for $25?Not to traditional collectors,thats for sure.

I don't remember the final result but Mark Zaid was offering a EE#1,signed by Kirby,here a few months ago and the world wasn't beating down the door bidding on it.

Shadroch, and I don't mean any disrespect at all, just hear me out...

even though you knew that the signature was authentic, to the majority of people they want some certification of some sort. Homemade COAs don't work, they just don't. That is the reason people are not beating down the door. Authentication for the purposes of selling is a must, thus the SS books. Keep em, trade em, sell em, just like blue labels.

As far as signed comics, (think what you will of this group...) Dynamic Forces has been selling comics for I would guess 15 years now confused-smiley-013.gif, and seem to be doing very well for themselves as a business. So not really a new trend and not one that can be compared to the coloring of coins, when you consider it is older than slabbing of comic books?

Heres where we disagree. I believe the vast majority of collectors don't want a signed book. They look at a signature as being little different from a date stamp.distributors ink or any other defect.A sub-group of collectors likes autographs and I suppose the SS appeals to them.I have nothing against SS books. They just are not something I have much interest in,nor do I believe they are worthy investments.If you like em,collect em. thumbsup2.gif