• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next scandal: UNDISCLOSED ABSORENE!

56 posts in this topic

The funny thing is, since your posts I have sold about 2 cases of it, and before your posts I hadn't sold any for about 2 months. Thanks smile.gif

I was afraid of that....

gossip.gif(So how much is my cut...huh?)

A buck 2 eighty.

Awesome post as always ffb...

How ya doin'? hi.gif

And yes, paper is self-destructive. As it should be.

I'm not suggesting that paper/comics should not be restored or preserved, I am just suggesting that Absorene is probably not the way to do it.

The restoration thread is the place to be for this discussion I guess. I have spent many a night purveying the awesome posts there (including yours). I'll get into it eventually.

And hey, tell these people I'm not a weight-lifting trimmer, will ya?

Hey CG, good to see you over here. Your April Fools gag at Comicscorral was one of the funniest things I've ever read on a comic board. yay.gif

I tend to agree with you that Absorene isn't the ideal substance to use for cleaning a comic book, assuming the ingredients now are the same as they were in 1989 (and I don't know the answer to that). Personally, I have had great results using very light pressure with a white art eraser (like the clickable Pentel erasers you can get at Office Depot). If you use very minor pressure (and only on the white parts -- not over ink), all that comes up is the dirt. For three-dimensional muck, a microspatula is your best bet.

And to whom it may concern, CG is not Hammer.

I asked Absorene Co. what the ingredients are in the book and paper cleaner, and it turns out that they're the same now as they were in 1989 -- a blend of water, flour, salt, and mineral spirits.

Here's Absorene Co.'s email response to my question:

Hello. The Absorene Paper & Book Cleaner is very safe. The study is correct. It is a special blend of those ingredients and does not contain any toxic or harsh ingredients.

If you are interested in purchasing, we only sell by the case here which is $96.00 for 12 - 15 oz. containers OR you can purchase online or call the following companies (list of companies snipped because if you want Absorene, you should buy from comicsupply.com -- we support our own!). Please let me know if you should have any further questions. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Sherri

Absorene Manufacturing Company, Inc.

www.absorene.com / absorene@sbcglobal.net

2141 Cass Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63106

314-231-6355 / 800-662-7399 / Fax 314-231-4028

If it contains mineral spirits then i have no idea how it does not damage the paper. I was a mechanic for a year or so and we used mineral spirits to clean some parts when we took a transmission apart. The stuff is strong. It will remove all the oils from your hands and leave your hands with a slight tingle for the first week or so.

If it contains mineral spirits then i have no idea how it does not damage the paper. I was a mechanic for a year or so and we used mineral spirits to clean some parts when we took a transmission apart. The stuff is strong. It will remove all the oils from your hands and leave your hands with a slight tingle for the first week or so.

It doesn't damage the paper because the inks and the paper are not soluble in mineral spirits (unlike the oils you were removing from the transmission), and mineral spirits are volatile solvents that completely evaporate in seconds.