• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

From OSPG notes, apparently this is the very first War comic. Not sure if this is correct, but hey at almost $50 for it I think it was worth it....now let's hope GD- doesn't mean a destroyed back cover. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

They probably hammered it grade-wise because of the brittle pages.

From OSPG notes, apparently this is the very first War comic. Not sure if this is correct, but hey at almost $50 for it I think it was worth it....now let's hope GD- doesn't mean a destroyed back cover. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Well, my winning bid was only $35, the total with everything $44. So even with the brittle pages I think I made out like a bandit. Is there any type of restoration that can fix brittle pages?

Well, my winning bid was only $35, the total with everything $44. So even with the brittle pages I think I made out like a bandit. Is there any type of restoration that can fix brittle pages?

Good question. I am not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Even if there was, it would be cost-prohibitive on a $40 book.

It will look like a nice 4.0-5.0 copy in the mylar though, which is good. thumbsup2.gif

There is a very complicated and expensive process for restoring brittle pages. My understanding is that few comic restoration guys even attempt it because it is so hard/cost-prohibitive.

The brittle pages are gently soaked and cleaned. Then they are resized, but the resizing process requires some sort of special process... more than soaking in a methyl-cellulose bath. It apparently gives the pages more elasticity. But it does nothing for pages colour.

I read about it several years ago. There may be newer and more cost-effective methods.

Either way, nice looking War #1!!!!

Shep

Ok guys, the third (and final) batch of war books are in. There are about 40 OAAW issues between 115 and 160 (no 151) and some of them are absolute stunners. I just flipped through them, but I would say 35 out of the 40 are 8.5 and up. I pulled three (and only three) out of the mylar and graded them: 9.4, 9.6, 9.4. Not bad for 12 cent war books!

The owner is working on a trade deal with someone, so that guy gets first shot. Whatever is left goes into the marketplace. I gave him first shot the time before and he didn't take any, so there will be plenty left this time I think.

The books should be listed tomorrow around 5pm Central barring any unforseen problems.

Again, sorry about posting a sales notice here, but WAY too many people wanted me to.

Hey Andy,

Looking forward to this... sounds like some sweet books.

Shep

Lots of 9.0-9.6 copies. 20 or so Mass books too.

Highly unlikely that I'll be able to buy any frown.gif but should be fun to watch. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've been following the Salida thread lately and decided that for every 1 Salida war book I have, there are 3-4 non-pedigrees that are ultra-cool, too (I don't have as many Salidas as Adamstrange anyway, so I can't post that many). At any rate, I've decided that periodically for every Salida I put up on the Salida thread, I'll put up about 4 non-pedigrees on the regular war comics thread. So if you see a Salida and like it, go check out the war comics thread for the ones that AREN'T Salidas. And visa versa. For the few that I post on the war comics thread, it means that I've posted 1 on the Salida thread.

Here goes.

aamow37.jpg

"5000 Prizes" era.

aamow52.jpg

Man, I loved it when DC did these greens.

aamow77.jpg

Single staple book (never WAS a lower staple). Everett and Drucker inside

aamow80.jpg

"Bar" margin motif

aamow52.jpg

Man, I loved it when DC did these greens.

You know what would happen to that guys crotch if he was sitting on a real tank turret while it was being fired? Instant castration....come to think of it, that should be a legal form of punishment for child molestors. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

aamow80.jpg

One of my least favorite DC war covers.

You know, I always liked this one... don't ask me why. The border treatment is so weird...

Mick, as always, nice books!

Shep

Love it! I have never seen it before. I want it.