• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,101 posts in this topic

As time goes on, I am really appreciating the deals that can be had on solid mid-grade silver.... otherwise, I have to get out of the market altogether. The prices on the high grade stuff are just getting way too high, especially anything Sgt. Rock or G.I. Combat.

I thought the $81 on the OAAW #90 was a great price. It's a tough book, and it just has about THE single best Sgt. Rock tale from that early run (beat only, perhaps, by #87). It's an origin story, and I still think the argument can be made that this is the TRULY the first Sgt. Rock cover (it's certainly the first time a scene on the front cover of Rock coincides with a similar scene on the interior, quite unlike #88). So, getting that book for under $100 bones was great... and it completes my run on that title from #80 to #90. I plan to lay 'em all out tonight and just geek.

Shep

Shep,

That OAAW 90 is the most undervalued of the entire run. Not necessarily the rarest, but way cheaper than people typically pay for issues around it. It's everything you say AND it's a Kubert masterpiece. That time-period of Kubert stands up against anything he or anybody else ever did. When I bought my copy years ago, I nearly sat down and had myself a good cry. If you think about it, all the uproar about whether Rock's first app. is OAAW #81, 82, 83 or GIC 68 is genuinely legit, but in 1 single issue (#90), we're treated to his first origin and his first definitive cover (never considered the #88 a Rock cover--I know, it looks like him, but it just isn't him on the inside story--and the #90 is just a WAY better cover. Don't get me wrong. I really like the #88 if for no other reason than that it's among the toughest in the run. But I like like like like like like like like like the #90). If you read that story, it IS the first origin. No doubt about it.

Sweet copy for cheap.

Edited by Comick1

Mick,

I totally agree... I sat down last night, gave it a good read and just LOVED it. I've only ever read that story in the Archives, which are great, but there's something that's just so immediate about reading the story off the original pulp (the pages in this book are ow/w... total bonus.)

Then, I got a fresh Fullback and a mylar and tucked 'er in to the boxes, but not before I pulled out a bunch from that era and just stood back in awe. Kubert and Kanigher were so locked in during that period.

Sgt. Rock.... I mean, dammit.... there's nothing sweeter.

Shep

You two want a room? lol

Just kidding, guys. It sure is great to see the enthusiasm from true war comic fans. I've got to agree about that #90 may be the first cover appearance of Sgt. Rock. #88 just doesn't look like him. I'm re-reading the Showcase Vol. 1 of Sgt. Rock, so I'll chime in with my final thoughts a little later about the cover appearance and the origin. I've read all of these stories before, but sometimes it's tough for me to just call out what story is from what issue number. Great books, no doubt about it, all of them, in fact. (thumbs u

Andy