• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

And now I can join the DC 10 cent war club!! :banana:

Welcome to the club. Nice to have you. Now that you have one war comic might I suggest you move your focus to superheroes?

:whistle:

lol ... that's my problem, as soon as I join a club, the members want me out :(

Posted this in General, but I feel I would be cheating on all of you if I didn't post it here.

Well, I think I did wonderfully on this particular book. Star Spangled War Stories #38, highest graded copy at 7.5. Other than being a great book, earlier 10 cent DC war, it boasts the first Russ Heath cover (for DC war). For only $90! :cloud9:

ssws38.jpg

Lots of nice Kubert, Heath, Drucker, Grandenetti, and A&E art all over the place. They reprint plenty of Rock, but as Marc said, there's quite a bit of other stuff including Haunted Tank, Mlle Marie, Johnny Cloud, etc. There are quite a few non-character driven stories (mostly backups or pre-Rock).

Hope that helps.

Mick

Thanks for the help, you guys are cool! (thumbs u

I haven't posted anything in a while. Here's one. I remember my Dad bringing me a copy of this issue home from work to cheer me up when I was sick. I probably still have it. I actually saved all the war comics I had as a kid. I was a regular war monger.

Jack

scan0002-2.jpg

I was going to bid on a few 50's DC war books in the CLink auction as I still don't own any, but because of a bid I placed on a ASM which unexpectedly won, I ended up having the money to pick only one book to seriously bid on. I picked the cover I liked most in the auction, and ended up over-paying, but I now own my first DC 10 cent war book:

RAD363872010629_8276.jpg

Congrats (thumbs u That is a great book...and one of my favorite covers as well.

I was going to bid on a few 50's DC war books in the CLink auction as I still don't own any, but because of a bid I placed on a ASM which unexpectedly won, I ended up having the money to pick only one book to seriously bid on. I picked the cover I liked most in the auction, and ended up over-paying, but I now own my first DC 10 cent war book:

RAD363872010629_8276.jpg

Congrats (thumbs u That is a great book...and one of my favorite covers as well.

Thanks, much appreciated!

It's books like this which make it easier to sell some of my other books to pay for it as they simply don't measure up to the same pleasure I get from owning it.

Posted this in General, but I feel I would be cheating on all of you if I didn't post it here.

Well, I think I did wonderfully on this particular book. Star Spangled War Stories #38, highest graded copy at 7.5. Other than being a great book, earlier 10 cent DC war, it boasts the first Russ Heath cover (for DC war). For only $90! :cloud9:

ssws38.jpg

Frogman...Heath......$90.....

:frustrated::pullhair::tonofbricks::frustrated::pullhair::tonofbricks:

So, thumbing through the new OPG to check prices, and I notice that SSWS #84 is still radically underpriced.

$450 for a 9.2?

Yeah, ok.

I'll gladly pay double OPG for one.

(thumbs u

Double would be one heck of a deal. Realistically, that book would sell for $4000-$5000. (thumbs u

So, thumbing through the new OPG to check prices, and I notice that SSWS #84 is still radically underpriced.

$450 for a 9.2?

Yeah, ok.

(thumbs u

Double would be one heck of a deal. Realistically, that book would sell for $4000-$5000. (thumbs u

Hence my "offer".

I had typed up a whole response, quoting GPA, but stupid Explorer froze, and it was all lost. But the last sale of the 9.0 was $1955 last fall.

I already bid on yours. :insane:

$450 for a 9.2?

Yeah, ok.

(thumbs u

Hence my "offer".

I had typed up a whole response, quoting GPA, but stupid Explorer froze, and it was all lost. But the last sale of the 9.0 was $1955 last fall.

Yep, I paid $1955 plus buyer's premium. I forget what that was....10-15%, I think. Cost was $2200-$2300. I still figured that was a decent deal as the book was a $3000 book in my mind. I don't think we'll see a 9.2 or 9.4 of this book for years, if not ever. Mind you, only time will tell.

My SSWS #85 CGC 7.5 is currently sitting at $1. lol Could be a steal? (shrug)

$450 for a 9.2?

Yeah, ok.

(thumbs u

Hence my "offer".

Yep, I paid $1955 plus buyer's premium. I forget what that was....10-15%, I think. Cost was $2200-$2300. I still figured that was a decent deal as the book was a $3000 book in my mind. I don't think we'll see a 9.2 or 9.4 of this book for years, if not ever. Mind you, only time will tell.

My SSWS #85 CGC 7.5 is currently sitting at $1. lol Could be a steal? (shrug)

Great book, Jay. That definitely is one of the coolest covers! I think you got a pretty good deal, really.

Thanks! I am still too attached to Overstreet prices on 9.2 and under books....I have to learn that sometimes it is not overpaying to pay more than guide for these books.

Great book, Jay. That definitely is one of the coolest covers! I think you got a pretty good deal, really.

Thanks! I am still too attached to Overstreet prices on 9.2 and under books....I have to learn that sometimes it is not overpaying to pay more than guide for these books.

I missed out on so many beautiful books from the original Keith Marlow collection because I was too attached to the frikken OSPG. Boy, I wished I kept that book closed. doh!