• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Shameless plug with war comics art on ebay in the "Comics Market - Sales Advertising - Ebay, Dealers, etc." section.

Here's the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4223161#Post4223161

:bump: I'll check it out! (thumbs u

Andy

Folks,

Did you see the new issue (#4) of DC's "Legacies" that hit the stands this week? I am not sure what the rest of the series is about, but it seems that DC is trying to tie up some of the continuity issues that have been the topic of so much discussion over the years amongst fans. I'm sure this effort is in vein, because these continuity explanations (Crisis comes to mind) seem to only compound the confusion. At any rate, though, there's this back-up feature that does a bit of continuity explanation for the war characters. I won't give anything away except to say that it's beautifully drawn by Joe Kubert and whimsically written (with a tear to wipe away) by Len Wein to reflect on as many of the major WW2 war comics characters as DC produced.

Good stuff. Check it out. Like me, all you war comics wackos'll be thinking about it afterward.

Mick

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm going to be selling off many of my DC War books. I have long runs of many of the titles so I'm sure this will be a daunting task. Most of my books are raw so I have a lot of scanning and grading ahead. I live in the SanDiego area so if anyone lives close and wants to stop by let me know. I'm planning on adding a piece or two to my DC War OA collection. I would love to get a Kubert Cover!

Larry

Folks,

Did you see the new issue (#4) of DC's "Legacies" that hit the stands this week? I am not sure what the rest of the series is about, but it seems that DC is trying to tie up some of the continuity issues that have been the topic of so much discussion over the years amongst fans. I'm sure this effort is in vein, because these continuity explanations (Crisis comes to mind) seem to only compound the confusion. At any rate, though, there's this back-up feature that does a bit of continuity explanation for the war characters. I won't give anything away except to say that it's beautifully drawn by Joe Kubert and whimsically written (with a tear to wipe away) by Len Wein to reflect on as many of the major WW2 war comics characters as DC produced.

Good stuff. Check it out. Like me, all you war comics wackos'll be thinking about it afterward.

Mick

Will check it out, Mick, thanks. (thumbs u

Andy

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm going to be selling off many of my DC War books. I have long runs of many of the titles so I'm sure this will be a daunting task. Most of my books are raw so I have a lot of scanning and grading ahead. I live in the SanDiego area so if anyone lives close and wants to stop by let me know. I'm planning on adding a piece or two to my DC War OA collection. I would love to get a Kubert Cover!

Larry

best if luck with your sales, Larry! (thumbs u

Andy

:news: A plea to my war buddies!!! :news:

I need hi-res scans of the following books (in high grade), please and thank you. (worship) As soon as possible, please and thank you. (worship)

1. AAMOW 94

2. GIC 78

3. GIC 80

4. GIC 87

5. GIC 88

6. OAAW 112

7. OAAW 275

8. OFF 29

9. OFF 71

10. SSWS 81

Once again, please and thank you. (worship)

Andy :foryou:

Hey Andy,

Here's an OAAW 275 from an old selling thread I had a coupla years back. I have a higher grade copy in the stacks, so let me know if you need a better scan of that... I can get it for you tonight a.t.k.g.t.b.

Shep

9b01160a.jpg

And here's the SSWS #81... not uber high grade, but one of the nicer copies I have seen.

Again, if you need a larger, out-of-the-mylar scan, lemme know. Just grabbed this from the photobucket archives.

Shep

ssws81.jpg

Hey Guys,

Many of you know my cousin Steve. He asked my help in tracking down some books that he still needs and I figured I would have better luck asking here instead of the general want to buy forum. If anyone has any of these in VG+ or better, and is willing to part with them, please drop me a line. Thanks!

Andy

All American Men Of War: 11, 16

Our Army At War: 13, 35

SS War Stories: 12, 34

Hey Guys,

Many of you know my cousin Steve. He asked my help in tracking down some books that he still needs and I figured I would have better luck asking here instead of the general want to buy forum. If anyone has any of these in VG+ or better, and is willing to part with them, please drop me a line. Thanks!

Andy

All American Men Of War: 11, 16

Our Army At War: 13, 35

SS War Stories: 12, 34

Tough books. :baiting:

I'll take a look. :shy:

I'm really starting to dig some of the war titles, I've always bought the violent one's here and there but you guys have really turned me on to something other than Marvel and DC hero stuff. So until I complete my little Batman run here are some of the ones I already have. I may have shown a couple before but I actually took the time to take them out of the bag this time. Nothing fancy but great stories.

warreport2.jpg

warfury1.jpg

attack4-1.jpg

I've had this book on my want list for some time.

Battle #70 was the last issue of this late Atlas/early Marvel title.

It was cancelled in February of 1960, along with Wyatt Earp.

In typical Martin Goodman style, they were replaced with two returning titles, My Girl, Pearl #7 and a revamped Rawhide Kid #17.

This book attracted me most for the cover. I believe, whether through conscious or unconscious act, that the central character is a Jack Kirby self-portrait. Gotta love those eyebrows.

Kirby1.jpgKirby2.jpg

B70FJun60.jpg

Though Kirby has no interior art, there's a great Ditko yarn. The scan below underscores his talent. The man knew how to tell a story.

B70Ditko.jpg

I've had this book on my want list for some time.

Battle #70 was the last issue of this late Atlas/early Marvel title.

It was cancelled in February of 1960, along with Wyatt Earp.

In typical Martin Goodman style, they were replaced with two returning titles, My Girl, Pearl #7 and a revamped Rawhide Kid #17.

This book attracted me most for the cover. I believe, whether through conscious or unconscious act, that the central character is a Jack Kirby self-portrait. Gotta love those eyebrows.

Kirby1.jpgKirby2.jpg

B70FJun60.jpg

I would agree. This is Kirby doing a self-portrait. I think he once admitted that Fury was sort of an idealized drawing of the way he saw himself (or wanted to be) in the war.

Now that I see this book I want it.

Though Kirby has no interior art, there's a great Ditko yarn. The scan below underscores his talent. The man knew how to tell a story.

B70Ditko.jpg

B70Ditko.jpg

Yeah, but those are Kirby pencils or layouts under Ditko inks. The story telling style by Kirby is unmistakable.