• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

I know this is a Bronze age question, but I put it in the Bronze age forum and it was recommended that I ask here. . .so here we go.

As a kid (late seventies-early eighties) I remember a story in a war comic that had a short piece detailing a Polish Cavalry Unit charging German Armor during WWII. Does this ring a bell for anyone?. I would like to know what issue it was. I think it may have been in one of the $1.00 GI Combats but I am not sure. Help is kindly appreciated.

Hi Fellow War Comic collectors,

I hope you don't mind that I steered this question to this thread (worship) You've helped me in the past with silver/bronze questions and I thought this gentleman would get some leads from you good fellows :wishluck: I've noticed the bronze thread has been pretty dead for a while now.

I think you can ask anybody and they'll tell you that the war comics board is the most peaceful (ironically enough) thread in the entirety of all the CGC message boards. Like I said before, it sounds a whole lot like something out of Kanigher's GOW. Betcha Shep's running for his reader copies as I'm typing this. . .

No pressure, Shep!

Betcha Shep's running for his reader copies as I'm typing this. . .

No pressure, Shep!

I was going to do the same. Problem is my 3 year old still doesn't understand the concept of "these are daddy's comics and you can't touch them yet" lol

Hey fellas,

I'm in bed with the flu, otherwise I'd be picking through my books right now.

Polish Cavlary.... hmmmm. Off the top of my head, it doesn't ring a bell as Gallery of War Story, but that would make sense.

It could be one of the endless array of short stories in the GI Combat dollar books.

If I can, I'll dig around this weekend.

Talk soon,

Shep

I'm all dosed up with antibiotics, Buckley's Mixture, Extra Strength Tylenol and Tantum. Not only am I feeling better, I think I just saw God!

I'll pick through my GICs over the weekend. I think you're right - it was likely in a dollar size book, and I'm positive it wouldn't have been in All Our War. I'll check the 1977-1982 era books. That's when I was buying those off the rack ... Mmmmmmmm :cloud9:

Hey, just curious - what stands out about that story for you?

Talk soon,

Shep

I'm all dosed up with antibiotics, Buckley's Mixture, Extra Strength Tylenol and Tantum. Not only am I feeling better, I think I just saw God!

I'll pick through my GICs over the weekend. I think you're right - it was likely in a dollar size book, and I'm positive it wouldn't have been in All Our War. I'll check the 1977-1982 era books. That's when I was buying those off the rack ... Mmmmmmmm :cloud9:

Hey, just curious - what stands out about that story for you?

Talk soon,

Shep

Shep, for me the story really displayed some of the futility of war. No matter the individual courage of the cavalrymen, the mechanized armor simply destroyed them. 19th century heroes caught in a 20th century war, but yet they did their duty anyways.

I just hope my memory is not failing and my details are correct.

Thanks for the help and I am glad you are feeling a little better

Judd

Curiously, the story of Polish Cavalry attacking German armor is something of a myth. They certainly engaged German infantry units that may have had armoured car support (happened in the very first days of the campaign) but there is no record of mounted cavalry attacking German tanks.

The closest parallel that is historical fact would be the Ethiopian army fighting the Italians in 1935. In that war, there are many cases of infantry (and likely irregular cavalry) attacking Italian armor with nothing more than spears, swords, and pre-1900 rifles. As a result, losses to the Ethiopians were greater than 10 to 1.

Shep

Hi Fellas, :hi:

I'm glad you guys are such a mellow, helpful and gracious group! (thumbs u I've read about that myth of the Poles charging German armor too and was curious where Judd might have seen that in a war comic.

On another note, here's a link to an awesome original sketch of Enemy Ace by Russ Heath! Just thought some of you might want to view it :acclaim: It's from the "Fallen Son" thread in the signature link here on the boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1760332&fpart=195

Best,

Mervin

Yep, that's a nice Heath alright. Typically brilliant work from a guy who can still knock it out of the ballpark.

I agree! (thumbs u Did any silver age war comic collectors get lucky enough to get one of Heath's sketches?

Heath. :cloud9:

He's 85 this year, and still rocks the ink pretty hard.

To me, it's always been about Kubert and Heath. They're the yin and yang of the DC war pantheon.

That both are still with us, and apparently healthy and keeping their hand in their craft is a blessing.

Shep

It's a good one Andy! There is so much sweetass stuff shown in this thread, it's nice to have a colorful adjective like that handy.

Hey, btw... heading to your neck of the woods sometime over the Christmas holidays. I'll give you a shout when I know exactly when.

Take care,

Shep

Your cousing Steve is awesome! Tell him Shep say hi, and hopes that he's doing well.

BTW, that's a sweetass Atlas!

Shep

Will do!

I think I am going to try and meet up with him at the SD con this year. Anyone know if the war dinner is happening again?