• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHILADELPHIA - WIZARD CON - MARKET REPORT

55 posts in this topic

Just flew in from Philly ( i am in Boston). Met several board members & dealers including: Bronzebruce (we tossed back a few brews on Friday night), comgeek, Tom Burlato, Mike Shuley (cgcfan), Steve Borock (real nice guy), Josh Nathanson (comiclink), Blazing Bob, Harley Yee (more on him later), Ted (Superworld), and a few other guys (names I can't recall, sorry).

Some highlights:

1. Met Alex Ross and he signed my Batman: War on Crime. Really nice guy. laugh.gif

2. Saw Jim Lee: Line was too long for me.

3. Met Allison Mack (Chloe on Smallville) grin.gif

4. Saw a pretty big deal go down for like $18K for (I think) ASM #13 & 15 both cgc 9.6. stooges.gif

5. Picked up ASM #250 cgc 9.8 & a Marvel Team up #1 cgc 9.2.

6. Sold my Detective #405 cgc 9.2 triple cover for $150. grin.gif

7. Traded a few books that I brought (all uncertified, my cost was like $300) for a cgc GA book and then dealt that for $650 to a dealer. 893applaud-thumb.gif

8. Went there looking for nice high grade (uncertified) books but did not find too many. Bechera (boston collection guy) wanted to sell me a Batman #189 that was like a 9.2 in my opinion (creamy pages though) for 3x guide..I passed and a Cap #138 that was like a 9.4 for 3x guide, again passed. 893censored-thumb.gif

9. Looked at several SA Spidey books but could not come close to the asking prices.

10. Harley Yee had some killer books but prices were beyond comprehension. He had a TOS #53 cgc 9.4 but wanted $1100!!!!! I offered $800. 893censored-thumb.gif He thought it could get a 9.6 if resubmitted......please get off the pipe.

11. I heard that Thursday night before the show opened and dealers were setting up was where the real action was. Lots of deals for probably all the quality high graders......

12. Crowds were good but did not see to many people buyin certified books or spending alot of $$. Friday was slow for the dealers (at least I heard).

13. Lots of moderns. Saw a Ult Spidey #1 cgc 9.8 but it just sat there. Saw a cgc 9.6 DD #168 (no longer the highest graded copy btw), saw a AA #18 cgc 9.8 with an asking price of $300.....

14. Hottest book at the show was ASM #129... Heard many people asking for that.

15. Lots of hot looking ladies in Wonder Woman garb and others..... 893whatthe.gif

16. Kid I went down there with comleted his run of DD from #1 until present. 893applaud-thumb.gif

17. Finally met Bill Hughes. Nice guy and had some great stuff, all cgc. Wait until u guys see his new catalog. Gave me a free copy.

18. One dealer had a Planet Comics #1 cgc 8.0 and a Miss Fury #4 cgc 9.0.

19. Saw many ASM #1 and AF #15 in cgc 1.8. Also a DD #2 cgc 9.2 wp but the asking price was $1500.....

20. Good deed of the day: At the airport tonight me and my buddy had a few beers b4 boarding and we hooked up the bartender with our 3 day passes for the show. He was a big comic fan and picked up the tab on the beers......NICE!!!!! cloud9.gif

All in all it was alot of fun. Went down there to spend $ but came back $500 ahead.

Saw a pretty big deal go down for like $18K for (I think) ASM #13 & 15 both cgc 9.6.

That's about 9K each,that's cheap considering i have seen 9.4's on the 13 go for 5K and 9.4 15's go for 7-8K, I would do it but would rather spend the 18K on something nicer,like a 9.2 X-men 1 or even put the $$ towards a Hulk 1 9.0,or pick up an 8.5. or even a FF 4 9.4 instead. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I spent saturday afternoon at Wizard World East and I must say that I had a great time. I didn't do a lot of buying, but I did get a chance to see (and drool over) comics that I have, until now, only seen on websites and in catalogs. That was a great deal of fun. So was watching all the folks walking around the in costumes. I must say the biggest laugh I got was from seeing this rail-thin guy dressed up as Thor; he looked more like Thor's anorexic brother...

BTW, G-man...I saw the Wonder Woman babe...mui caliente...

I did pick up a bunch of Thors for my reading collection. Filled in all my gaps back to issue 128 so that leaves me only 7 issues and the three Marvel Masterworks volumes left to buy and my collection will be complete. I also filled in some gaps in my Batman and Detective Comics runs so now I'm complete with both those titles back to the mid 80's. Finally, I picked up a couple of limited series. Hardly an earth-shattering expenditure of money, but nevertheless, very cool for me.

In the evening, I went to the dinner with Steve Borock and Paul Litch from CGC and a bunch of guys from the forums here. It was great to meet all the people I've talked with in the past. Bruce, Sam, Jeremy, Dan, Chris, and all the others were great guys and the dinner was fun; good food, good drink, and lots of talk, most of if comics related. I'm glad I went and I'm looking forward to the next get-together.

All in all, it was a great time.

I must say the biggest laugh I got was from seeing this rail-thin guy dressed up as Thor; he looked more like Thor's anorexic brother...

Rumor has it that that was actually Supapimp that you saw.. tongue.gif

Brian

I must say the biggest laugh I got was from seeing this rail-thin guy dressed up as Thor; he looked more like Thor's anorexic brother...

Brian

Was supapimp holding a "hammer"?

Brian

Was Thor wearing Prada? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian

Was Thor drunk? insane.gif

Brian

Was Thor drunk? insane.gif

Was he getting his butt stomped by this man? 893whatthe.gif

181098-dannyboy.jpg

Yeah......what's up with all the frigging multiple quote boxes? smirk.gif

The repeated questions looked good together; I did it on purpose! Yours and greggy's intimate utterances of lust for each other showing up in infinitely repeating quote boxes...now that's just annoying. mad.gifstooges.gif