• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Things that make you go hmmmmm?

45 posts in this topic

I guess, since I knew Chuck, I'm just fascinated by all the bashing he gets and have concluded (for now) that the primary cause is. . . envy. Who wouldn't be envious of anyone who found the Church collection?

Man, why do you Chuckie Fans always trot that one out? The discovery happened before most of us could drive, so why the whole psychobabble? I don't view it as anything I could or would have bought, and I don't live in fantasy land.

And if you think that I would ever in a million years want to "be Chuck" or emulate his business dealings in any way, then you're obviously not from the planet Earth.

What goes around comes around...

Did I ever say I was a "fan" of his. I may be a "disgruntled" EX employee myself. I'm just curious why he gets bashed on. In your case Joe, envy is not the problem so what's he done to you?

Is it possible for me to have zero rating stars? That's what I want. smile.gif

Did I ever say I was a "fan" of his. I may be a "disgruntled" EX employee myself. I'm just curious why he gets bashed on. In your case Joe, envy is not the problem so what's he done to you?

Nothing personally, and I'm just one of those "nice guys" who doesn't finish last and has no sympathy for those who bend the rules (and other human beings) for their own personal and financial gain.

That's about as politically correct as I can word it. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

OK - I can relate to that. I'm a "nice guy" too and I think we are in agreement. I've personally had dealings with CR that I wasn't very happy about but blamed myself for being taken advantage of. Over time, those dealings worked out OK so I no longer have gripes. It just seemed bashing him was so prevalent I was trying to figure out why but think I'm no longer in the dark. Cool.

You're right, I haven't seen you "bash" him at all. I think what got me to post was this:

"Chuck bragged about scamming the Church's, as that is a story anyone remotely involved in comics personally can attest to."

I'm remotely involved in comics and I can't personally attest to that. You said the same in an earlier post you made. There are others that do believe he, in fact, scammed that collection. They are free to feel that way but not on the basis he paid $2,000. I don't know where that price comes from but I've seen it mentioned before. I'm fairly confident he paid waaaay more than that.

but not on the basis he paid $2,000. I don't know where that price comes from but I've seen it mentioned before. I'm fairly confident he paid waaaay more than that.

Well Chuck, why not post exactly how much you paid for the Church comics, not including inflation, any other expenses, art/office buys, or other items.

I heard from a very reliable source that the original amount paid for the LOT OF COMICS was between $1800 and $2000 USD. If you have another figure, please feel free to post it.

You're right, I haven't seen you "bash" him at all. I think what got me to post was this:

"Chuck bragged about scamming the Church's, as that is a story anyone remotely involved in comics personally can attest to."

I'm remotely involved in comics and I can't personally attest to that. You said the same in an earlier post you made. There are others that do believe he, in fact, scammed that collection. They are free to feel that way but not on the basis he paid $2,000. I don't know where that price comes from but I've seen it mentioned before. I'm fairly confident he paid waaaay more than that.

I started this thread but did not say that,either here or on any post ever! I DID say I never felt he ripped off the Churchs.As the great man once said-There is no such thing as bad publicity. When a man puts himself on a pedestal, he's got to expect to attract some bird droppings.

I know that quote wasn't from you shadroch - guess I should have credited it to it's author "joe_collector". I don't mean to point Joe out specifically but that was the most recent example I had to show my point. I understand your analogy about the "bird droppings". Really makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to shed some light on misinformation that has gone on for 20+ years. Really, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't be so concerned about it. Chuck isn't so why should I.

"I heard from a very reliable source that the original amount paid for the LOT OF COMICS was between $1800 and $2000 USD. If you have another figure, please feel free to post it."

Hi, Joe - Would it make any difference if I said it was closer to $10,000? Probably not.

Hi, Joe - Would it make any difference if I said it was closer to $10,000? Probably not.

Nevermind, it's obvious you missed what I said and are trying to worm in other aspects of the deal into the total. Next you'll be saying you paid $100K to the family because you bought the house a few years later.

This whole thread was meant to be taken semi-seriously.its rapidly losing whatever humor it had. Nuff said

Agreed, and Chuckie's skeletons should remain hidden, especially in this case.

I do like his articles though, and love hearing even heavily-abidged versions of these seedy affairs.

the MH/Church story as I always heard it told was that Chuck paid cover price for the comics,,,,, or 2000 comics for $2000. I dont think anythibg he has said recently has included a figure, greater or lesser than that.

Nevermind, it's obvious you missed what I said and are trying to worm in other aspects of the deal into the total. Next you'll be saying you paid $100K to the family because you bought the house a few years later.

No, I'm not worming other aspects of the deal into the total. No, I didn't pay $100K for the familys house. I only recently got interested in comics again after being out of the hobby for about 15 years. I was active in the hobby when the Church collection was found. I know most of the people involved in the deal except the Churchs. Friends of mine include the guy who couldn't be bothered to go see the collection when their agent called him on the phone (poor sap) and the guy who received 10% of the collection in exchange for his store (great guy). I know the guy who received MH golden age DC's / Timely's prior to the catalog being printed and subsequently aren't listed in the catalog.

So, I thought I could maybe provide some interesting details about the collection and the deal surrounding it that was previously unknown. I've read earlier threads here and other places and that $2,000 figure floats around as though it's gospel (one of the most vocal was comicinvestor) and forms the basis for many peoples opinion that Chuck scammed the collection. When that price was brought up again on this thread (by Joe_C maybe) I finally had to respond and thought the first thing I would do is dispel that erroneous figure by offering what I know about it.

Apparently I've gone about it the wrong way as I instantly lost a rating star as soon as I opened my mouth about it. I don't really care about the rating stars but it showed me my opinions weren't all that welcome and I should have thought this through. makepoint.gif

I don't really care about the rating stars but it showed me my opinions weren't all that welcome and I should have thought this through.

Okay, I'll play one more time.

Exactly how much in USD cash did Chuck personally pay for the Church Golden Age comics?

No secondary art/magazine sales, no inflation, no expenses, no other Church purchases, just the amount agreed to for the actual Golden Age comics.

OK - I'm back! smile.gif

The verdict is in: we're BOTH wrong. Direct from the Big Cheese himself who was adamant he's never told anyone what he paid.

....we now return you to our regularly scheduled program....