• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze CGC values could be destroyed by this warehouse find

93 posts in this topic

i dunno, most of those books are from Aug / Oct 76 to May / June 1977.

Well, where are the X-Men then? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i know. shocking that they wouldn't be in that hoard there

why dump those x-men for 25 cents each in bulk when he can blow them out on ebay and shows slowly but surely for $5-$10++ each? Mike always has a bunch of tables at his own shows. Doesn't cost him anything other than the guys who already work for him. tossing in a bunch of x-men into that lot probably doesn't make him more money. the ultimate winner will just consider more of the other books as "freebies". let's be serious, the only way to move 100 VF/NM (on average, let's say) copies of Iron Man 95 or DD 143 is doing it this way.

not to mention 66 long boxes is not 25,000 comics, even if not bagged and boarded, particularly some of those issues being oversized thick ones. 20,000 is probably more realistic.

if not already from the same hoard, these are books that have been found in other warehouses already, other than the romance books. i've picked up a bunch of them for 50 cents or a buck each.

why dump those x-men for 25 cents each in bulk when he can blow them out on ebay and shows slowly but surely for $5-$10++ each? Mike always has a bunch of tables at his own shows. Doesn't cost him anything other than the guys who already work for him. tossing in a bunch of x-men into that lot probably doesn't make him more money. the ultimate winner will just consider more of the other books as "freebies". let's be serious, the only way to move 100 VF/NM (on average, let's say) copies of Iron Man 95 or DD 143 is doing it this way.

points taken, but i think the rationale behind bringing up the x-men in th first place was to demonstrate that any keys or semi keys that may have been found would have been yanked out of the hoard from the get go.

just an observation, not really saying anything earth-shattering

Anyone think that this is really part of the other huge warehouse find advertised by neatstuff a year or whatever ago and he's trying to think of ways to intelligently bust it up? I'd bet a nickle a number of these books have already been filtering out over the last 6 months as I have definitely seen and bought warehousesque copies of several of these (multiple copies). My thinking in buying them (on the cheap) is not that I have visions of sugar plums and 9.6/9.8s dancing in my head (there's no way I'd spend the $15+ to take a chance), but that a nice crisp mainstream 76/77 marvel in nice glossy 9.2/9.4 ought to be worth $3-$6 in the land of ebay (or even here). I'm not thinking big or anything. At that sort of anticipated price, census numbers don't really matter so much. Particularly if I have multiple copies of a book and can just hit "re-list" after every time I sell one because the copies all pretty much look the same. Gosh I love having books like those!!! Too bad I don't have many in quantity that are sure things to sell near my hoped for price every time I list them.

Already happened, a few times over, and in one notable case, there were some CGC 9.4-9.6 copies that came out of it. A lot haven't even been graded yet, including everything I bought and probably most of what Jim has.

Other than the possibility some of the very early 70s Amazing Spider-Mans and Hulks I sold on eBay a couple years ago were slabbed, exactly one of the comics from the collection you're referring to was ever slabbed and in my collection...

The rest haven't been touched since buying them...and a large majority could easily get 9.4s and possibly some 9.6s.

There's a misconception about warehouse page quality as well. Just because a comic came from a warehouse find doesn't automatically translate to cr@p PQ. All the comics I own from the seller are no lower than OW-W with the majority White pagers

Jim

well woogie, the million book lot is mainly a bunch of 90's overstock. won't make a difference in the big picture given that some books in the 90's had monthly print run of around there.

There's a misconception about warehouse page quality as well. Just because a comic came from a warehouse find doesn't automatically translate to cr@p PQ. All the comics I own from the seller are no lower than OW-W with the majority White pagers

Yeah, I was amazed with that too - very nice PQ overall and better than the "high grade" comics you buy from most dealers.

If I have the same books, then the PQ doesn't always match up to the nice glossiness of the covers and other warehousiness. Off-White/White, maybe. Don't remember seeing white pagers when flipping through, and some are more like just OW.

If someone found a warehouse find that contained a particularly valuable book (such as X-Men 94 or Hulk 181 or Iron Man 55 or Marvel Spotlight 5 for example) it is unlikely that they would "announce" that the valuable issue had been found, even if the rest of the find was made public.

If you had a chance to get 25 "HIGH GRADE" copies of any of the above mentioned books, wouldn't you quietly send a couple of the very best to CGC, then as they came back, oh one to Heritage, one to Comic Link, wait a few weeks one on eBay...you get the idea. Why devalue a book you stand to make a lot of money on by bragging? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeah, but sometimes funny book people aren't braniacs. when neatstuff picked up the zillion book warehouse find last year they announced that they had pallets or whatever of X-men 108s, etc. Sure, not in the same league as Hulk 181, but why dimish a book you can blow out in quantity for $10-$20++ a pop easy and slab the real nice ones?

yeah, but sometimes funny book people aren't braniacs. when neatstuff picked up the zillion book warehouse find last year they announced that they had pallets or whatever of X-men 108s, etc. Sure, not in the same league as Hulk 181, but why dimish a book you can blow out in quantity for $10-$20++ a pop easy and slab the real nice ones?

Because NS knows virtually all BA books are ultra-common, and have such an insane warehouse, they'd rather blow them out ASAP!

funny thing is, when did people even get the temporary notion that these books weren't common!!??!? they're at the price they are because people like them and want them, rarity never factored into the equation 10 years ago. they're 70s books, of course there are lots of them, that wasn't the point! ASM 300 wasn't a $75-$100 book 13 years ago because people thought it was rare. Something like Avengers Annual 10, X-Men 137 or 150 or some other megaspeculated book, there, that's something where sales prices were depressed because there were cajillions of them.

funny thing is, when did people even get the temporary notion that these books weren't common!!??!?

Come on, we have arguing that "there will never been another OO Silver Age collection come to light" or "all the high-grade SA has already gone through dealer's hands" and bingo, we have the GA D copies appear. It's truly bizarre what some people believe. screwy.gif

Most are either stupid, or just delude themselves into thinking comics are far rarer than they actually are.

But remember,comics are still rarer than people,and most people don't possess the degree of taste required to appreciate a good funny book poke2.gif(whatever that means).GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Somebody made a very good point recently about CGC, high grade slabbed book prices, and how artificial "scarcity" as perceived in the early CGC years has panned out since then. In 2001 and 2002, most issues that CGC slabbed instantly became Top Census books b/c they had no competition, many common books were perceived to be scarce, and due to the huge influx of books into CGC at that time, their turn-times bordered on a ridiculous 6 months. foreheadslap.gif

This caused prices for a lot of common books to skyrocket, and also caused an artificial bottleneck in getting the census to settle out to reflect reality, showing which books are scarce, and which are common. In the last 1-2 years, this effect has been reduced, CGC's target turn-times have been met, prices on these false "scarcities" have come down, and the truly tough books have been identified.

I think 6 years later the Census has become a great indicator of scarcity, and I've seen books that were on my want list 6 years ago remain on my want list and surprise surprise - the census has provided an independent confirmation that indeed, some of these books (non-key books in the middle of a huge run of Hulk, FF, etc.,.) are indeed scarcer than other non-key books surrounding them. The whole scarcity of BA DC's vs. Marvels debate has also been confirmed by the census - when 15 and 20-cent slabbed 9.4+ DC's are selling for higher prices than Marvels, you know those puppies are tough!! frustrated.gif

The point here is, people can blabber on and on about how common BA books are and how many untold warehouse stashes and pristine runs are sitting in old-time collectors closets, but if the books aren't on the market, there might as well be a million of 'em stashed away, if not zero. confused-smiley-013.gif