• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze CGC values could be destroyed by this warehouse find

93 posts in this topic

When JC started talking about toys I got to thinking about things from the 80's & early 90's that have increased in value to some degree.

As a 13 to 19 year old teenager during the mid-late eighties I purchased countless Powell-Peralta skateboards. Usually Tony hawk, Lance Mountain, Mc Gills boards yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, I went looking for one ot these complete with trucks and wheels in "as new" condition to mount on my computer room wall as a viewing piece.

Lets just say that I have put this in the "things to do when I have a lot more money basket" sorry.gif

Regards,

Russ

And The Rule of 25 is proven! acclaim.gif

"What came out of those mystery boxes of comics that were on ebay a few months ago, anyone remember that?"

Wasn't it all debunked and it wasn't really high grade, nor unopened boxes?

The Rule of 25 is always true. You want to speculate on the hot collectible? Buy what twelve year olds were buying 20 years earlier and wait five years. You'll see incredible price appreciation. Right now - buy late 80s and early 90s toys, games and comics and sit on them for five years.

Maybe toys and games, because I don`t know those markets at all, but no way will comics from the late 80s and early 90s exhibit "incredible price appreciation". Well, I guess technically, if they`re currently selling for $0.25 and start selling for $1.00, then that`s 300% price appreciation, but I don`t think anyone would really consider that to be the kind of meaningful appreciation that characterizes a real price boom.

The fact is, as much as we might debate just how many HG copies there are of BA comics, there is no disputing that there is definitely an inexhaustible supply of HG comics from the late 80s and early 90s. We are talking the era of Jim Lee Uncanny X-Men, Peter David/Todd MacFarlane Hulk, and Todd MacFarlane Spidey and Spawn. They were bought in huge multiples and 99% were probably bagged and boarded without ever being read.

The Rule of 25 is always true. You want to speculate on the hot collectible? Buy what twelve year olds were buying 20 years earlier and wait five years. You'll see incredible price appreciation. Right now - buy late 80s and early 90s toys, games and comics and sit on them for five years.

Maybe toys and games, because I don`t know those markets at all, but no way will comics from the late 80s and early 90s exhibit "incredible price appreciation". Well, I guess technically, if they`re currently selling for $0.25 and start selling for $1.00, then that`s 300% price appreciation, but I don`t think anyone would really consider that to be the kind of meaningful appreciation that characterizes a real price boom.

The fact is, as much as we might debate just how many HG copies there are of BA comics, there is no disputing that there is definitely an inexhaustible supply of HG comics from the late 80s and early 90s. We are talking the era of Jim Lee Uncanny X-Men, Peter David/Todd MacFarlane Hulk, and Todd MacFarlane Spidey and Spawn. They were bought in huge multiples and 99% were probably bagged and boarded without ever being read.

Not even the highly sought after and collectible New Mutants 87!?!? 27_laughing.gif

There are a few copper books that may continue to do well (TMNT, Spidey 300, etc.,.), but those are already pricey books and while they will probably continue to be in demand, they're not going to see another round of huge increases in value as they turn 25-30 YO. foreheadslap.gif

"Not even the highly sought after and collectible New Mutants 87!?!?"

Actually, New Mutants 87 (as opposed to 97 or whatever) IS NOT a book that was printed and purchased in HUGE numbers. I believe the print-runs were around 80K when Liefield took over (he likes to point this out whenever he can), which was low by Marvel's standards back then (would be a popular title today) and not that many steps from cancellation. Granted, the title took off shortly thereafter, so probably not that many copies got tossed in the 25 cent box and trashed. Other than it being a boring, nothing overblown character (Cable) and Liefield's art being annoying, it's not such a bad one to have. Sure, 80K is still plenty of copies, but giving that new mutants before then was an instant quarter box book, I'd suspect that perhaps huge numbers of this issue weren't bought in quantity, by the palette, for speculative purposes alone.

But I didn't need to tell you that!

"Well, I guess technically, if they`re currently selling for $0.25 and start selling for $1.00, then that`s 300% price appreciation, but I don`t think anyone would really consider that to be the kind of meaningful appreciation that characterizes a real price boom."

Every dealer, and most collectors, would instantly jizz their pants if these books suddenly started moving well at $1 a pop. Do you have any idea what kind of boom there would be if suddently a bunch of 24-29 year olds with money decided they NEEDED to fill in all those runs of X-Men 260-320, ASM 350-390, X-Force, X-Factor, Darkhawk, New Warriors, Deathlok, Guardians of the Galaxy, Punisher, Image, Valiant, etc. that they threw away 8-10 years ago, even at only $1 a pop? Seriously, 99.99% of those books weren't consistently selling for $1 a pop even in the early 90s. People have warehouses full of them (and not the bull-oney 65 long box warehouse either, that's just for titles staring with "A'!)

but I definitely recall the same being said about Bronzes in the 80's...

Do the math.

Even though only the old fogies felt that way in the 80's (I was buying all I could and marvelling at the low prices), let's just say that 1970's comics were said to be worthless in the 80's. Then in the late-80's they exploded and then jumped even higher post-CGC.

So that would translate into 1980's CA comics been deemed worthless in the 90's, then exploding in the late-90's, then....

Hmmm, something is wrong with that equation. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the rule of 25 is valid, except when there was no good stuff available. Look at the muscle cars, they are going strong. You don't see the cars in the 70's following suit, because they were trash to begin with. I.E. the ninties comics will always be drek.

I think the rule of 25 is valid, except when there was no good stuff available. Look at the muscle cars, they are going strong. You don't see the cars in the 70's following suit, because they were trash to begin with. I.E. the ninties comics will always be drek.

Absolutely wrong. They're drek to you (well, and to me), but there will be a grouping of people who will want to have the things they bought when they were 12. This has been true since the beginning of fandom for almost all pop-culture collectibles. Not everything will show strong price appreciation, but there will be things that do. The trick will be to find those things. In comics? Sandman, maybe, some oddball stuff, who knows.

And I don't think the car analogy works. I'll bet you a 1976 convertible cost a lot less 10 years ago, even adjusted for inflation, than it does now.

Those probably won't the the books - but there will be something. I'd actually, if I was pressed, think about pre-Unity Valiants as something that could see a nice price appreciation (doubling, maybe tripling) in five to ten years from now.

"Peter David/Todd MacFarlane Hulk, and Todd MacFarlane Spidey"

Well, the Todd Mac Hulk and Amazing Spideys still sell fairly well. The other stuff, yeah, just way too much! Throw out the guide, of course, but there's a definite demand for them at a fair 25-40% discount off of OPG in nice (above VF) shape (though I've even sold some reader copies too). I put up like 10 or so issues of McFarlane Hulks ranging from VF to NM- and they ALL sold for like 60-70% of guide to three different buyers.