• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four pricing variants

44 posts in this topic

A bag with the Whitman name on it, to me, simply means that a company names Whitman, placed comics in their bag. If I bag a newstand edition and place taste_of_h8red on the bag, it is not a taste_of_h8red variant or is it a taste_of_h8red. In the same respect, it is not a Whitman variant nor should it be called a Whitman.

You are close to geting me to jump on your side, but I still see no PROOF for either case.

A bag with the Whitman name on it, to me, simply means that a company names Whitman, placed comics in their bag. If I bag a newstand edition and place taste_of_h8red on the bag,

The key element is, that I and many others (including large dealers at the time), believe there were no "direct editions" before 1979. Look at X-Men, MOKF, Dracula, What-If, Sgt. Fury, etc.,etc., etc. Where are the 1977-78 Direct Market copies?

So, if we are correct, there were no such thing as a Diamond Direct Copy at that time, so no way for Whitman to bag such an entity. So therefore, to ensure no enterprising individual bought these multi-packs at discount, Marvel used a different cover format when printing for Western Publishing. And this scenario worked so well, it was then transitioned to the Direct Market in 1979, only using a different "skinny Diamond" format.

That's why I refer to these random 1977-78 comics as Whitman's.

P.S. If the Direct Market started in 1977, why does the "slashed UPC" take over for a month in 1979, then switch over to the new "skinny Diamond" miraculously at the EXACT time I/we contend the Direct Market started, AND the exact month where every Marvel has a "Diamond Copy"?

Mighty big coincidence, wouldn't you say? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you now claiming that there was no direct market prior to 1979?That Seagate wasn't selling direct to comics prior to this?

No, read the post. I am stating that there were no specific Diamond Direct Market copies before 1979.

Of course there was a Direct Market, but Marvel didn't start marking the books differently until that initial "crossed out UPC" first month, then with the "skinny Diamond" books after that.

The data 100% supports this conclusion, especially the "large size" book examples like What If! that would never be included in a Whitman/Western run.

If the Direct Market was NOT selling newstand copies, then their shelves would have been pretty bare - only a single X-Men issues in 2 years? No MOKF, No Dracula, No Dr Strange, No Sgt. Fury, No What If!, and only a SINGLE Diamond Copy (mysteriously in October 1977) for a pile of other books.

If the Direct Market was not selling newstand copies, then they must have been selling air for 2 years. 27_laughing.gif