• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The FEAR: trimming

43 posts in this topic

faecetiousness aside, don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive books or books with high investment potential are the only ones being trimmed.

it ain't the case. be'lee dat

tonofbricks.gif

I never said inexpensive books don't get trimmed. Christo_pull_hair.gif However, like restoration, trimming on low dollar books is going to be amateurish and easy to spot. Nobody is going to have a $30 book professionally restored, and nobody is going to have a $30 book "professionally" microtrimmed either. It isn't cost or time effective.

*cue the guy who will spend three hours searching the trimming threads to find a low dollar book that Ewert might have worked on*

now, someone like Ewert might not "professionally" trim a $30 book, but that doesn't mean it ain't happening. if it's being done by someone who hates the ragged edge of thier book more than they hate hacking a piece of it off...

not trying to argue with you. just making an observation. because i agree with the premise of this thread in the general sense

faecetiousness aside, don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive books or books with high investment potential are the only ones being trimmed.

it ain't the case. be'lee dat

tonofbricks.gif

I never said inexpensive books don't get trimmed. Christo_pull_hair.gif However, like restoration, trimming on low dollar books is going to be amateurish and easy to spot. Nobody is going to have a $30 book professionally restored, and nobody is going to have a $30 book "professionally" microtrimmed either. It isn't cost or time effective.

*cue the guy who will spend three hours searching the trimming threads to find a low dollar book that Ewert might have worked on*

now, someone like Ewert might not "professionally" trim a $30 book, but that doesn't mean it ain't happening. if it's being done by someone who hates the ragged edge of thier book more than they hate hacking a piece of it off...

not trying to argue with you. just making an observation. because i agree with the premise of this thread in the general sense

Also there is not always a logical reason why people do things ie. trimming an inexpensive book. Could be for practice, try out trimming on the cheap copies first, right? confused-smiley-013.gif

Amateur trimming of SA books was pretty common in the 80s, back when resto was less frowned upon and resto checking was less careful, and undoubtedly still goes on today. Andy is right that many of us are overly paranoid about it when viewing scans here (guilty as charged) hi.gif ... but IMO it never hurts to look closely if something is potentially funky. Definitely an issue long before Ewert.

In recent years I've bought and returned many an inexpensive ebay SA Spidey because of amateur trimming, and I would never call someone out on it and go through the hassle of a return unless I was 100% sure.