• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylars and backing boards question

44 posts in this topic

I was doing fine for 20+ years, moving from house to apartment to apartment- then I moved into a new house a few months ago. After 3 days of high humidity and effective lack of air conditioning in 90 degree heat, I lost about 10% of my bagged collection to moisture warping from the humidity. I lost 100% of my open bagged and non-bagged collection, by comparison. All of it warped beyond collectibility.

Thankfully, everything I had worth 'real' money was in a different room in the house, and was spared, including my entire GA collection.

I would really love to see these books to see what three days of high humidity and no ac did to them.

In thirty years I've never heard such a story. These books are in New York?

Yah, I work on 38th street. I can bring some in if you want to meet up. Or a picture. The heat did very little damage in and of itself AFAIK, as the few Don Rosas I had are still white inside.

If it's just moisture warping, anything that was worth money could probably be pressed back to its original condition. Send one or two of the more expensive ones to Matt Nelson and check it out.

would not the same 'cooking' theory apply even moreso to CGC'd books?

Excellent question... comments anyone?

For the record, I'm still double-bagging!!!

Comics, I mean. smirk.gif

Shep

This is the reason that the Library of Congress recommends placement of an alkaline buffered sheet (such as a halfback or fullback) within the Mylar enclosure. Microchamber paper works too.

Oh I agree completely, sorry if my post was confusing. I DON'T think the quality difference is worth a $200.00 premium, not at all thumbsup2.gif

I was simply intending to covey my Preference for the "look, and feel" of the BC boards, over anything else.

But as i had written, that price factor becomes HUGE when the point of decision is upon you tonofbricks.gif

Most people will without a doubt buy the Gerber stuff...its the better "deal" However, IMO...I just believe the BC material IS of a higher standard, its up to the individual to decide further.

I was doing fine for 20+ years, moving from house to apartment to apartment- then I moved into a new house a few months ago. After 3 days of high humidity and effective lack of air conditioning in 90 degree heat, I lost about 10% of my bagged collection to moisture warping from the humidity. I lost 100% of my open bagged and non-bagged collection, by comparison. All of it warped beyond collectibility.

Thankfully, everything I had worth 'real' money was in a different room in the house, and was spared, including my entire GA collection.

I would really love to see these books to see what three days of high humidity and no ac did to them.

In thirty years I've never heard such a story. These books are in New York?

Yah, I work on 38th street. I can bring some in if you want to meet up. Or a picture. The heat did very little damage in and of itself AFAIK, as the few Don Rosas I had are still white inside.

If it's just moisture warping, anything that was worth money could probably be pressed back to its original condition. Send one or two of the more expensive ones to Matt Nelson and check it out.

lol!

"Hi Mr. Nelson, can you quote me on pressing Conan the Barbarian 212-252? "

I got very lucky in what was destroyed...