• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in Poly Bags--Long-Term Effects?

32 posts in this topic

What happens when comics are in poly bags for decades without changing the bags? At what point do the bags break down and actually damage or even ruin the comics? I've never heard of comics with bag damage before, but given the plastic breaks down, what does happen to the comics?

V/R,

Mike

Are you talking about bagging and boarding your own comics, or comics that arrived on the stands in a polybag (X-Force #1, etc)? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

What happens when comics are in poly bags for decades without changing the bags? At what point do the bags break down and actually damage or even ruin the comics? I've never heard of comics with bag damage before, but given the plastic breaks down, what does happen to the comics?

V/R,

Mike

Are you talking about bagging and boarding your own comics, or comics that arrived on the stands in a polybag (X-Force #1, etc)? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

I mean comics placed in poly bags years ago. Personally, I always remove copies in poly even if they come that way from Marvel. Mine go into Mylite II with full backers, so I don't want the poly.

V/R,

Mike

Question. I store my comics in my basement against an outside wall. They are bagged,boarded, and vertical in file cabinets. There is a dehumidifier nearby. Now, the basement is bone dry, no leaks from the walls, etc.

Should I be concerned about this mold situatrion that was mentioned?

Only danger is moisture build up. And you may get some even with a de-humidifier in the winter time. Problem, the inside of the wall gets cold from the cold air outside. That mixes with the warm air on the inside of the house and could create condensation. So..if they are in a cabinet, just take the time to check the area between the cabinet and the wall in the winter-time.

I would only worry about possible damage to the cabinet as it would take a lot of moisture build up to reach the comics.

I have a gap of a few inches between the wall and the cabinets. The dehumidifier is nearby. Stays dry down there. I have never seen moisture on that wall nor on the cabinets. It is not that cold as the basement is below ground and the wall is the below ground wall which maintains the same temp nearly year round. It is not an outside wall exposed to the elements. Does that matter?

I think flooding from broken pipes is the biggest worry for basements if you don't have humidity issues. My in-laws have a basement in Rockford, IL that stays bone dry and cool year round and would be a perfect storage environment for comics. But they had a pipe burst last year that flooded the basement. If any comics had been there, they'd have been ruined.

Same thing (burst pipe) happened to a good chunk of the pulps in the Edgar Church collection. Just something to think about.

My basement fluctuates from 35% in the winter to 55% in the summer. The dehumidifier is set at 45%. The temp ranges from a constant 68-73F. I think those are good conditions personally.

My basement fluctuates from 35% in the winter to 55% in the summer. The dehumidifier is set at 45%. The temp ranges from a constant 68-73F. I think those are good conditions personally.

Well, it'll certainly prevent mold and foxing, that's for sure! 27_laughing.gif

As long as the humidity doesn't fluctuate too rapidly, that'll probably be just fine. thumbsup2.gif