• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the Presses: Mile High 3 Collection for Chuck??

88 posts in this topic

While the seller had seemed quite understanding when I called to delay my trip, I was still worried.

Someone else would find out about how badly he was going to rip this seller off too and didn't want anyone to beat him to the "fleecing"

I knew darn good and well that if word got out to the other comics dealers bidding on the collection that I was involved, that the pressure on the seller to sell for an immediate cash payout would become intense. To the best of my knowledge that information did not get out, but one dealer did increase his down payment offer by $100,000.00 during the week's delay caused by Tanith's operation. All I could do was to advise the seller that if he wanted to take any other deal he'd been offered, that he should go ahead. Quite honestly, cash in hand is almost always better than a deal that involves only a smile, a handshake, and a promise to pay later...

No [!@#%^&^], sherlock. After the "..." he should really talk aobut badmouthing the other seller who up his down payment by $100,000 to this collector.

I then went to lunch with the seller and his son, where he took the time to pray (the seller and his family are very dedicated Christians...) for the Lord's guidance.

Lucky, a bolt of lightining didn't just come out of the sky and strike Chuck dead - Comic Satan that he is...

He then said a prayer for the success of our venture, and had his son (who is in training to be a preacher) also say a prayer.

Praying that they didn't get screwed by this hustler in their home...not much of a living in being dedicated Christians...especially if they blew their money on comics. 400,000 of them...

While I am not particularly devout, I felt incredibly honored by this display of faith in me as a person, and in my abilities. The seller could not have manifested any single other type of action that could have inspired me to work harder to try to live up to his, and God's, faith in me.

Don't flatter yourself, Chuck - the prayer was that you'd actually hold up your end of the baragin without bending him over and his son-of-a-preacher-man "Church-style"...

I suddenly felt this enormous weight of personal responsibility. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling, but I sure felt it settle into place on my shoulders. It is still there now.

Pangs of repressed guilt manifesting itself physically. "So this is what it feels like to try to do the right thing?" - another good one Chuck...

I am totally dedicated to prove to this man that he made the right decision in choosing me as a working partner in selling his wonderful comics.

Good luck.. frown.gif

It is obvious that the seller, judging from his tastes and his thinking that Mile High is the best way to liquidate his collection, that he is an old fogey and not computer savvy. He should have sent his son to a computer class to learn html and auctions instead of a seminary or whereever generic "Christian" preachers go...

if it is worth this much - sell it all on the internet and guarantee that they would pay so much less in fees than Chuckie would rape them for....

Chuckie is definitely building this up to be Mile high 3, the story is complete with direct analogy to his initial Mile High scam pulled on the Churches, replete with difficulty and travel woes..boohoo...

Once we both signed the contract, it was time to pick up the rental truck I had ordered from U-Haul. I had to have a rental truck, as there was no way to ship $4 million dollars in rare comics via any kind of ordinary truck line. No common carrier would take on that kind of risk. The only way for me to get those great comics back to Colorado was to drive them there myself. Normally this would not have been such a big deal, but when I went to get trip insurance, I discovered that it was totally unavailable! The insurance company we ordinarily use was willing to sell us a two-day policy for $15,000.00 (!), but only if we provided them a detailed inventory of every single issue of the 80,000 books I was taking in the 24-foot truck, complete with grades! Since none of these books had yet to be graded, that was out of the question. The only way for me to get these books home was to drive them there by myself, completely uninsured.

Smart company - what company would insure for $4million worth of merchandise without an inventory of merchandise? Come on now Chuck - if they insured it, you would have loaded the truck up with a boatload of Valiants and 90's Marvel new universe (all worth about $100 for that volume)and found a way to send it off a cliff

Frankly, this trip this past weekend was the single most dangerous thing I have ever done in my life. Not only was I putting a substantial portion of my life's earnings at risk, but I also was in considerable danger from those who might be aware that I was driving, alone, across one of the loneliest stretches of the American West with at least $2 million in untraceable liquid assets.

On top of which, he didn't have a license or ID? Isn't this illegal? Why oh why could he not have gotten pulled over and tossed into a jail...

It didn't help matters one bit when the truck I rented (for $1600.00!) turned out to be a complete clunker, with no air conditioning, and hardly any power. I could have waited until the next day for a better truck, but I made the decision that my safety was enhanced by every mile I could put between myself and San Diego before the word got out that I was on the road by myself.

Oh poor chuck - ripped off by the mean truck rental folks and endangered by the comic ninja clan, besetting the highways out of San Diego to bumblef*uck USA, wating to pounce on dealers traveling from the con with there most valuable wares...

I was already regretting that decision within an hour of leaving, however, when the truck proved incapable of taking the hills out of San Diego at more than 30 miles per hour (50 KM/H). When it lost all power entirely in one particularly busy stretch of road, resulting in me nearly being crashed into by an enormous tractor-trailer truck going at least 70 MPH, I was convinced that I was doomed.

I guess no one from Chuck's family should be getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle...(unless the wear their veil on their DMV ID - I love Chuck's earlier shot at the gov't - those bastards for making us get identification in the form of licenses and passports - big brother paranoid freek...too much Peyote, Chuck)

zonk's post just got me started - I was reading this too and I just said "whatever" - this is f'in NUTS! (That's a lotta NUTS!)

I love how he covers everything. Why no discount? well because the guy is well to do and is not in dire need for money and would prefer to market the collection in a style suited for Chuck- high priced and over decades..why would this guy sell his collection if he wasn't in need of the money?

What got me all twisted was the religious tripe he was shovelling - that and the part about his license and passport (like goverment requirement to carry proper identification is an arbitrary nuisance and an inconvenince to paranoiod freeks like Charles who believe Big Brother is out to get only him with their mandatory id requirements)....this story makes me want to puke and seethe at unbelieveable levels.

So many aspects of his story defy logic and common sense..another cover up of a Chuck scam...

Supa - just to make it clear - I think Chuck is a great salesman and has fallen "bass ackwards" into deal after smooth money making deal - a la Kramer style - when it comes to comics - good for him. I have no qualms with that. It's this attaching life drama aspects to it for what? A couple extra bucks to get this collection pediGREED(he wishes). Any other good comic dealer/seller would just have said "I went to San Diego and I picked up a couple of good books...and went home", not the whole Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones-esque saga of the trip back, lurking with evil and Danger as no other area of the world but indigenous to the Mojave Desert. Smoke some more peyote in that desert heat and anyone would be telling that same tale of Chucks...

This way maybe both sides of the story will be revealed.

I hope so too. but since this seller is in "cahoots" now with Charles, what would it gain him to dispute the 'facts" as laid out so cleverly by his new partner? Unless his Christian devoutness and morals make him reveal the true version of this story? BWAHAHAHA!

Okay... still trying to figure this out...

He says he rents a UHaul for $1600... In 2001, I rented a 26-foot UHaul for a one-way trip of 2200 miles and it cost me just $950...

He talks about 8500 key comics, which in 4mil Mylars takes 44 long boxes. You can fit that in a 7-passenger van no problem, and a one-way rental would be a whole lot cheaper than $1600. Heck, you could rent one from Alamo and have a grunt employee drive the thing back. Between rental, gas, return airfare, and wages for the grunt, you're still under $700...

He also mentions that the whole collection is 400,000 comics. Now that certainly won't fit in a 7-passenger van. In fact, at 57,000 pounds, you can't even put that in a 53-foot tractor trailer. Not that UHaul rents anything bigger than a 26-foot truck (which by the way has a load limit of just 11,000 pounds).

So instead, he says he did 80,000 comics in a 24-foot truck... The 24-foot trucks that UHaul rents have a load limit of just 9,100 pounds. It's no wonder he says the truck has no power. He was 2,300 pounds over the load limit!

According to his story, he took 11,400 pounds of comics, by himself, from San Diego to Denver. Why in the world didn't he fly someone else down to make the trip with him? Why didn't he hire an off-duty police officer to ride shotgun? Would've cost him $600 tops, including the return plane fare. Who helped him load the truck? That's a lot of comics to load by yourself...

He says the 8500 comics will total $4mil by themselves. Why not drive those in a nice comfy van and come back for the rest later? Or have the rest of the books shipped by truck? There are so many false economies in this story it's unreal! Geez, on a $4mil deal, it's gotta be worth it to spend an extra couple grand to make the process smoother!

I love a good story as much as the next guy... and I am happy that some more nice comics will be on the marketplace, although part of me wonders if some of this stuff isn't from the rumored Mafia job three years ago in SoCal... Regardless, even if they are at "Mile High" prices, there are some books that are just never available, and it will be nice to see them change hands... but Chuck's story is more than a little nuts...

Hey aman! The story mentions links to pics... Can you pull those links out of the email so we can see these beautiful books?

One other thing I just don't get...

How many people do you know who purchase HG Keys second-hand AND have 400,000 books in inventory?

I know guys who amass personal collections of really nice stuff buying from the best dealers out there. And I know guys who buy in huge quantity and flip some books and keep the rest. I don't know ANYONE who does both.

I could see if a guy was the original owner for the keys, and then went into the bulk buying business. But a guy who drops fat cash on mega-keys from other dealers AND buys enough bulk comics to fill a 1000-sqft space three boxes deep wall-to-wall?

And he didn't buy his first comic until 1987?

Ask BlazingBob how many of his HG customers own 100,000 comics... much less 400,000...

Oh my god, I can see why he was spooked. That's some scarey greenery around him, and that parking lot looks like it hasn't seen any repairs in a while. Phew. I'm glad Chuck made it out of that hell hole alive.

Brian

I couldnt post the pics.....but zilla already has.. Chuck mentioned we could enlarge the Showcase 4 to see how nice it was...but that didnt work in the email for me...

as for how many collections are out there, in duplicate, by buyers who only buy and never sell? I know a couple of guys. Id like to know who THIS collector is, though. As it was said, he may be 'sworn' to silence as part of Chuck's marketing plan; and reverence for the Lord, of course, who is watching over him and his son (the preacher!) in this deal. Hope he's tithing!!

If this collectort started buying heavily in 1987, and started with the keys, then he's not really into them for all that much compared to their present value. Those Showcase, though small in the pics, look pretty nice and solid dont they?? I have the #3 I bought for $300 about ten years ago. It was a VF/NM then, so it was a pretty decent book, but certainly not a 9.4 today.

LMAO!! And another question. Supposedly Chuck had just completed this deal with the Mystery Seller and they both had signed the contact. Why did he have to take ALL the comics with him that very night?? Why couldn't he have left the comics with the seller, and flown back a week later? Why couldn't he have hired 3 or 4 guys to help him with the trip? Etc. etc.

Chuck is a grade-A as*hole, and it's a real shame he keeps getting all the luck.