• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I remember

211 posts in this topic

- walking to the corner store with a dime and coming home with 2 bottles of orange crush.

- walking to the nearest convenience store after we moved to buy a comic. The lady there asked me what comics I was after. Thereafter, she always held onto the best copies for me. My first comic file. smile.gif when I was 8 years old.

- paying 40 dollars for an Iron Man number 1. At the time the book in guide was listed at 40 dollars in mint. I remember getting home and taking it out of the comic bag to look at it and the front page was sort of stuck to the front cover from static like it had never been opened. I put the book back in the bag and later sold it for a huge profit of 80 dollars! Today that book is in a CGC case at 9.8 foreheadslap.gif

Artboy99

• Waxing my uncle's car for about $3.00 and being able to go out and by all the new Marvels that hit the stands that week.

• Attending a Led Zeppelin concert at MSG in 1973.

2 questions:

1. Do you still have those Marvels you bought with earnings from your uncle, and

2. Was the Zep concert the one made into the film "The Song Remains the Same"? I know it was '73 and Madison Square Gardens for sure; don't know about the rest.

I have a handful of the Marvels........not highgrade but much loved. These include Capt. America 110, 111 and 113 and a couple others.

The Zep concert I pegged at 1973, but it could have been a little earlier. It was right after their third album came out. I have a copy of TSRTS....I haven't checked it lately.

Red

...Bringing a girl(!) to a Comic Convention at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles back in 1985 and finding a copy of both Albedo #1 and 2 on the same day.

Seeing Nirvana at a small club in 1991. Seeing TuPac Shakur live with The Geto Boyz at Irvine Meadows. Seeing The Grateful Dead at Oakland Coliseum and Shoreline. Seeing The Ramones at The Hollywood Palladium. Seeing Tom Waits live at the Wiltern. Seeing Britney Spears at The Staples Center.

Hunting down every appearance of Moon Knight back in the early 80's.

Running into the Hernandez Brothers in the Century City shopping center and asking them why they made Maggie get fat.

Getting a letter from Bob Burden saying I had correctly guessed the Flaming Carrot's secret identity... and am now sworn to secrecy.

Lining up at Golden Apple Comics on Melrose to have Frank Miller sign my copy of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1

Reading the Russ Cochran EC library reprints when I was 13.

Meeting Robert Crumb at a gallery in Los Angeles and having him whisper to me "Look at the on that girl... incredible!"

I have a handful of the Marvels........not highgrade but much loved. These include Capt. America 110, 111 and 113 and a couple others.

The Zep concert I pegged at 1973, but it could have been a little earlier. It was right after their third album came out. I have a copy of TSRTS....I haven't checked it lately.

Red

Forget TSRTS. Go with the new Led Zep DVD. Absolutely frikkin' awesome thumbsup2.gifheadbang.gif

The day my daughter was born. thumbsup2.gif

Biking to Mr. Fishers five and dime on my Schwinn every week to buy my comics every week with the $2 my mom gave me. cloud9.gif

Biking to Mr. Fishers five and dime on my Schwinn to buy my comics one week with the $2 my mom gave me only to find they went from 12 cents to 15 cents blush.giffrown.gif

Mom not understanding inflation and not upping my $2 to cover the increase Christo_pull_hair.gif

Buying Zeps Houses of the Holy in 5th grade, blew my mind. 893whatthe.gif

Going to the Phil Sueling comic market place in NYC (Taft hotel?), people were smoking cigarettes hang from their lips, looking over boxes of raw books, and sometimes dropping ashes in/on them crazy.gif

Forum dinners. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Seeing over 200 Grateful dead shows. headbang.gif

My 1st Grateful Dead NYE show yay.gif

Finishing my high grade S.A. Marvel run smile.gif, and being frustrated that I would never finish my high grade D.C. run frown.gif

Being very sick, staying home from grade school, and mom coming home with a Mego Falcon and a Mego Green Goblin for me to play with laugh.gif

Holding the Church copy of More Fun 52 in my hands for the 1st time cloud9.gif

Hearing Elvis Costello lyrics for the 1st time and realizing I had heard the next Dylan grin.gif

Being the 1st person to go through and get 1st shot at the Nova Scotia collection at Jim Payette’s house in New Hampshire. Spent $90,000 and back then, that was a lot of books! tonofbricks.gif

Hanging out with Neal Adams, Dave Sim, Jim Starlin, Buzz, and Michael Bair with some forum members at Shun Lee last November. smile.gif

Trying to convince my best friend in grade school that buying only Sad Sack comics was stupid. I told him that super heroes was the way to go. tongue.gif

Everything my daughter has done to make me laugh and cry. smile.giffrown.gif

And so many more music and comic memories………

The first time I met my wife to be. I always considered myself an educated individual (at the time I had 2 years of college behind me) but I could not get one legible word out of my mouth for the first five minutes. It was so obvious that a friend of mine "spilled" a drink on me, took me aside and helped me collect myself. I must have made a good impression because I am still with her 22 years later. I remember it like it was yesterday.

10 years ago my wife went into labor with my son and I was in San Antonio. I remember the flight from San Antonio to Dallas and then Dallas to Orlando like I was still sitting in the seat. My son waited for me and was born 50 minutes after I gotto the hospital.

My daughter was less stressful but just as memorable. She joined us 7 years ago on a Saturday on the way to a late dinner.

This I remember thread needs to be spun off to an "I am so fortunate" thread.

Red

Forget TSRTS. Go with the new Led Zep DVD. Absolutely frikkin' awesome thumbsup2.gifheadbang.gif

Oh, that's why I haven't checked TSRTS lately. I HAVE the double DVD set....and yes....it's AMAZING!

The first time I met my wife to be. I always considered myself an educated individual (at the time I had 2 years of college behind me) but I could not get one legible word out of my mouth for the first five minutes. It was so obvious that a friend of mine "spilled" a drink on me, took me aside and helped me collect myself. I must have made a good impression because I am still with her 22 years later. I remember it like it was yesterday.

10 years ago my wife went into labor with my son and I was in San Antonio. I remember the flight from San Antonio to Dallas and then Dallas to Orlando like I was still sitting in the seat. My son waited for me and was born 50 minutes after I gotto the hospital.

My daughter was less stressful but just as memorable. She joined us 7 years ago on a Saturday on the way to a late dinner.

This I remember thread needs to be spun off to an "I am so fortunate" thread.

Nice. thumbsup2.gif

Red

Oh, that's why I haven't checked TSRTS lately. I HAVE the double DVD set....and yes....it's AMAZING!

I think the MSG scenes in the double DVD set are from the same MSG performance scenes in TSRTS, which is why the cinematography is so good. The double DVD set is much much better than TSRTS, although I wish they had taken the beginning of the MSG set in TSRTS (when they open with "Rock and Roll") and also used it in the double DVD.

Actually I am going to change that....it had to be 1971.....the MSG show on Sept. 3, 1971. That's the one. I was just starting my senior year in high school. Goddam, I'm old!

See this list......

http://uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/concert_dates.htm

You the man, Brad! That had to be the best time to see Led Zep live, when they were truly at the height of their powers. That concert was before Zoso came out, so you guys were probably getting previews of a lot of the songs that would be on the album.

I remember that my seat was on the floor about halfway back. I eventually moved my way towards the stage and finished up right in front of the stage. Trust me, I was a total nerd. John Bonham flipped a coke can out near the edge of the stage and I grabbed it and took it home. I kept if for a while until I realized....it was a dang coke can, and threw it out. 27_laughing.gif

I also remember my ears ringing for about a day afterwards!

Only recently did I really pay attention to the lyrics to "Ramble On".

Mines a tale that can't be told,

My freedom I hold dear;

How years ago in days of old

When magic filled the air,

Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor

I met a girl so fair,

But Gollum, and the evil one crept up

And slipped away with her.

Her, her....yea.

Aint nothing I can do, no.

893whatthe.gif

I remember:

- Rotary telephones and black & white televisions

- The neighborhood vacant lot, for playing football, and the old barn, for doing...well, you know

- when the lazy, hazy days of summer meant: Annuals!

- leaving the doors unlocked, so my brother and I could come and go as we pleased

- when the pieces of gum in baseball card packs were nearly as big as the cards

- "progressive" radio on FM

- hashish

- the madness that ensued following the bombing of Cambodia

- meeting Kirby, Adams, Steranko, Smith, Thomas and Wrightson at my first con

- my PhD dissertation defense, bachelor party, wedding, honeymoon, and a move to California all in the same week and a half

- sitting in the bleachers the crazy day the wind was blowing out at Wrigley, and the Phils topped the Cubs, 23-22

- seeing the Stones, Clapton, the Dead, Tull, The Allman Brothers, McCartney, Springsteen, The Eagles, The Beach Boys, Bob Marley, and, the best of all of them in concert, Little Feat

- Photoelectric football

- the Broad Street Bullies - not just the two straight cups, but the time they beat the living pi$$ out of the Russians (both physically and in score), the only NHL team to do so on the first Soviet tour

- seeing my son's emergent head for the first time

and a whole lot more...

- seeing the Stones, Clapton, the Dead, Tull, The Allman Brothers, McCartney, Springsteen, The Eagles, The Beach Boys, Bob Marley, and, the best of all of them in concert, Little Feat

-

Wow, Little Feat.....wish I could have seen a show...... thumbsup2.gif

I remember:

-Flying down to Seattle with my father to purchase a new truck in 1972 (Because it was so much cheaper in Washington) (I was 5) and driving up the Alaska highway.

-The local mom and pop shop that I purchased my first comics from that I walked about a mile from my house to get to. (I still have many of those, but not high grade).

-Walking home from school and wading through the pond/lake near the Goldpanners baseball field and then having to wait to get home to take the leaches off.

- Going to a goldpanners baseball game and winning the 7th inning stretch prize ( a signed baseball). Going to get it and being told that I didn't win a baseball and that I had to go get my parents. Turns out I won a trip for two to Seattle. I was so "pi ss ed off". Later someone came up into the stands with a signed baseball for me.....ah...to be 7 again. Still have the ball, and one of the players made the pros that I know of.

-When it was a big deal that McDonalds was going to open up in Fairbanks.

-Riding the 1/2 scale train at Alaska Land in Fairbanks for a whole summer when my father won the concessions contract and drove it with a friend of his. I've still got the railroad cap and patches. (I ate a lot of popcorn that summer)

-Wacky Package Stickers stuck on things around my room.

-My father bringing home all the comics that he confiscated from kids at school. (He was the principal). Among them was the Strange Tales 178 that first introduced me to Starlin's work.

- Going to the Rexall and purchasing the 1975 baseball cards. (All minis) I didn't buy again for many many years, and always hated that they were odd sized.....bigger that is.

- Meeting another collector when I was very young and telling him about my great collection, only to have him come over to look at them and inform me that the best thing I had was a Conan 33 in about VF condition.

- Seeing the first Supersnipe Cover in a comic book price guide (not overstreet) in around 1977. It was V1 #8 in black and white and about the size of the end of my pinkie. I wanted it from that day (It was listed as $8 in NM).

-Seeing Pink Floyd in concert at MH stadium along.

-Seeing the Who in concert at Folsom Field in Boulder Colorado.

-Seeing many good concerts at Red Rocks.

-Sitting Front Row Center watching Bonnie Raitt at a concert in Florida (I purchased the tickets that day....and was told by another couple that they had purchased tickets about 10 months prior, and that I had a better seat as I was on the Left front row center and could see more of the ??Guitar and finger action??)

And the best................

- Seeing my wife for the first time, and asking her out on the spot (now married 12 years).

- The birth of both of my children, being there to cut the chord and release them into this crazy world. cloud9.gif

- Getting a package from 143ksk for my kids (free no less) and watching them open it and get excited about all the funny comics. KUDOS TO YOU AGAIN. thumbsup2.gif1358820-Picture038.jpg

1358820-Picture038.jpg.70cde3f098fa736b22332d4974ad0765.jpg

AWA Wrestling with Vern Gagne, Mad Dog Vachon and The Crusher…headbang.gif

Jesse Ventura The Wrestler 893scratchchin-thumb.gif – and the Governor 893whatthe.gif

Vintage Viking Football at Metropolitan Stadium – Fran Tarkenton, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Paul Krause… cloud9.gif

Vintage Twins Baseball at Metropolitan Stadium – Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva, Camilo Pascual… cloud9.gif

Teaching my kids to ride bikes 893applaud-thumb.gif and drive cars foreheadslap.gif

Great thread....

I'll stick with early chidhood comic book related memories....

* The first time I saw a Hulk comic book, and thinking he was Frankenstein's monster

* Learning how to read comic books, before I actually learned how to read !!! i.e, I would pronounce Galactus as GAL ak tus, and Daredevil as DAR e DE vil, until my older brother corrected me

* Thinking the Thing's name was "Four", because he was the one character featured on the Fantastic Four's logo, upper left corner, at the time

* After getting tired of there never being "clear cut winners" of hero vs. hero battles, I developed MY OWN system of scoring battles, so I could make MY OWN determination of which hero won

* Thinking that I was placed on this earth to become the best comic book artist ever, and actually taking the first step to achieving that goal, i.e, teaching myself to draw

* The first time I saw Neal Adams artwork, (Avengers #93), and the realization that my goal would NEVER be obtainable !!

* When I finally figured out that all of these same characters look so different, at different times, and behaved so differently at different times, was because they were being done by different creators

* The day I learned that new books come on Mondays and Thursdays !!!

* The spinner rack, and the way it squeaked so loud, the whole store would hear it !!! ( I have that rack, and it still squeaks !!! There is a bearing on it, which is shot. It must have been shot in 1971 also, because it still makes the SAME SQUEAK !! But, I would not replace it with a gold plated bearing !! )

* My mother, ( a single mother with many mouths to feed) when time pressed, would give me money to "get a sandwhich" at the local sandwich shop for supper, and I would get a 1/2 pint of chocolate milk, and spend the rest on comic books

* Anyone from the Reading, PA. area...circa 60's, 70's, and early 80's ...? If so you would remember Eve's Book Shop right off of 10th and Walnut. At the time, the only place where one could find back issues.

* Stealing a copy of Giant size X-Men #1 from the local variety store.

* Later selling that same book to the previously mentioned Eve for $.01

* Getting caught stealing a copy of Marvel Tales ( the anniversy issue which reprinted Amazing Spiderman #123), and being thrown out of the store for "ONE FRIGGIN MONTH"..., as the store owner yelled it

* Having to get my friends from the neighborhood to go to the store on my behalf, whenever my mother sent me to the store for whatever it was that she needed at the moment

* Reading an obituary for Bill Everett on one of the letters pages, or editorial pages, and realizing that creators are human beings just like me.....

* Refusing to have a DC book in my collection !!!!( This was prior to my realization that these are stories being told by creators !!!)

* The first time I discovered that there were other collectors who thought that their "comic book collection" was much more "valuable" than mine, because there books were in better shape than mine !!!!

* And the heated debates with these same people that it did'nt matter , because I knew the stories better, I knew more about the history of the characters, and I knew more about the creative talent behind the books than they did

* Turning my nephews on to comic books...one in particular loved the "A (as in HAT) vengers", ...must run in the family !!!!

* A one day vacation at Rehobeth with just me and my mom (bless you mom), where she purchased for me a copy of the Silver Surfer Fireside PB, by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, and an Iron-on transfer of the Silver Surfer,( anybody remember these ?) I believe Steranko art , both of which I still have

* How blown away I was, (and still am), the first time I discovered Jim Starlin, and his whole "Thanos saga". I did not "discover" this until Strange Tales was being reprinted along with the Silver Surfer in one of the many Marvel reprint books of the late 70's/ early 80's, but once I did, WOW !!! ( I just recently saw a "top 100 artist's of all time somewhere while surfing the web, and Starlin was NOT on it.!?! Personally, I do not believe that such a list can EVER exist without Jim Starlin!! sorry 'bout the rant....)

* I know I said at the start of this post I would keep this to early comic book related memories.......However...

* BATTLING TOPS !!!!!! Does ANYBODY remember this game ???? Does ANYBODY know where one could be found ??? I, as a 41 year old man, would not be ashamed to play this game right now !!!

Thanx for allowing me the walk down memory lane on your watch

smile.gif.......Next.....