• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY #$@#$!!! CGC 9.8 AVENGERS 58 WHITE ROSE COLLECTION

25 posts in this topic

check out the heritage san diego updated listings and this book

anyone know anything about the "white rose" collection?

heritage is bringing out some el primo material yet again!!!!!

The majority of the "White Rose" collection was offered in the last signature auction. They had a seperate catalog for the collection, which featured Timely comics! insane.gif

Looks like another overgrade to me. I have a 9.6 with white pages and it has perfect centering and not that big line showing down the spine. Not sure how anyone would classify that as a 9.8! Maybe a 9.4 but 9.8 in my mind means perfect.

I agree with that being an overgraded 9.8. Look at the upper right corner on the cover where there is a tiny piece off the corner and what is going on with the lower left hand corner of the cover. A book like this will get such a high premium over a 9.6 but the buyer would probably only be getting a true 9.6 in 9.8's clothing.

Tod

Speaking of overgrading, here's a 9.8 Action #70:

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/hnai/300/807/807013094o.jpg

It looks to me like there is a spine stress around the upper staple and some color flecks missing near the "Superman" in the uper left. And the Church writing on the cover. Does it look like a 9.8 to you guys? I could maybe see a 9.4, with the writing. I know the writing is indicative of the pedigree, but at some point it has to override the pedigree and affect the grade, right?

This comic will go for crazy money though. It's very nice, just not what I would call a 9.8.

Neither would I...looks to have a slight spine roll as well. But....CGC apparently has a different standard for GA material as well as the appearance comics offered through Heritage receive more favorable grades. And it has a black cover. Pretty book but when you're dealing with all these factors, it's kind of hard to determine what grade CGC is going to give it.....

Jim

Speaking of overgrading, here's a 9.8 Action #70:

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/hnai/300/807/807013094o.jpg

It looks to me like there is a spine stress around the upper staple and some color flecks missing near the "Superman" in the uper left. And the Church writing on the cover. Does it look like a 9.8 to you guys? I could maybe see a 9.4, with the writing. I know the writing is indicative of the pedigree, but at some point it has to override the pedigree and affect the grade, right?

This comic will go for crazy money though. It's very nice, just not what I would call a 9.8.

I can see it as a weak 9.8. The book is for all intents and purposes perfect, beyond what might be a couple of milimeter sized chips and one non- color- breakinig spine stress. As for the writing- to me it's just part of the deal with GA books. Unobtrusive date stamps and writing don't bother me at all and I don't take them into account when grading a GA book. I probably wouldn't give a book a 10.0 with writing or a date stamp, but anything short of that, I think I'd be fine with it.

Numerical grade aside... what a beautiful book!

I can see it as a weak 9.8. The book is for all intents and purposes perfect, beyond what might be a couple of milimeter sized chips and one non- color- breakinig spine stress. As for the writing- to me it's just part of the deal with GA books. Unobtrusive date stamps and writing don't bother me at all and I don't take them into account when grading a GA book. I probably wouldn't give a book a 10.0 with writing or a date stamp, but anything short of that, I think I'd be fine with it.

Numerical grade aside... what a beautiful book!

It is a very nice looking book!

Another point on Heritage. I had not looked thru the upcoming SD auction stuff in awhile but there are now some 80 odd pages of material up for auction!!! That seems like more stuff than ever before. I doubt I will be bidding on anything- I am in the middle of several deals and am pretty much tapped. It makes me wonder with this much high caliber stuff where all the money will come from? Not to mention all the stuff they run thru their bi-weekly auctions! Maybe there will be some decent deals in the after-auction bargain bin. And on a side note- Avengers 58 in 9.8 is incredibly hard to find. I don't think that is really a 9.8 though but I have seen only a couple 9.6s and never another 9.8.

Another point on Heritage. I had not looked thru the upcoming SD auction stuff in awhile but there are now some 80 odd pages of material up for auction!!! That seems like more stuff than ever before. I doubt I will be bidding on anything- I am in the middle of several deals and am pretty much tapped. It makes me wonder with this much high caliber stuff where all the money will come from? Not to mention all the stuff they run thru their bi-weekly auctions! Maybe there will be some decent deals in the after-auction bargain bin. And on a side note- Avengers 58 in 9.8 is incredibly hard to find. I don't think that is really a 9.8 though but I have seen only a couple 9.6s and never another 9.8.

The current weekly auction blows chunks. I'm not even tracking anything after I searched it the first day. I think people must be saving up for the July one.

Shuley, he put in the thread title what book he was referrring to. It's not like he tricked you into reading a frigging thread about a book you don't care for.......and just because you don't care about this book doesn't mean that others feel the same way.

Ok Im looking at this scan of the Action 70.Im trying to be an objective grader and learn something.I see at least 3 spots on the cover that could be stuff on the scanner but one for sure looks like a problem, plus I can count the pages in the book from the scan.How can this be a 9.8?Am I missing something here?

Are we getting this is an older book so we should grade it more lenient?

Enquiring minds need to know. ( :

Are we getting this is an older book so we should grade it more lenient?

Enquiring minds need to know. ( :

I believe that is basically it. Golden Age books tend to be graded with more leniency.

You have to admit though, that is one primo looking book from the 1940's with a black cover.

lol take this tongue in cheek please.Im laughing as I type this.At what point in time should one start giving a book grading points because it is old?

A book is a book is a book.Regardless of age they should all be graded on the same scale.If the cover gloss disappears after 50 or 60 years and thats the way it is on a book then the top grade should be 9.2 for that book unless of course Howard Hughes hermetically sealed a book and it had cover gloss.Just my point of view of course.I love to see a vf+ silver book and admire it for its condition compared to age but I cant call it near mint if its not as if it "Just came off the newstand"

Near mint books in 1965 had cover gloss and sharp corners.They also didnt have chips out of the cover and you couldnt see all the pages looking directly at the front cover.

Just my opinions and Im not person_without_enough_empathying just stating what Im seeing. ( :

I have no intention of going into golden age collecting.I was just suggesting that there should not be a different grading format for different eras.If that was the case then perhaps Overstreet should put out grading guides for different eras stating that because each era is older then we should overlook flaws in older books we would normaly take into consideration.Again this was all tongue in cheek and grading should not favor older books over newer ones.If the best condition of a 1950 book is 9.0 or whatever then thats what a golden age collector should strive for. ( :