• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quire Collection

61 posts in this topic

((I'm renaming this thread so that people that may be interested will be able to keep up with the forthcoming scans and keep up to date on the selling status of this collection. I'm not really needing help in value determination, at least not yet. I'm calling it the Quire Collection cause thats the guy's name! foreheadslap.gif If no one is really interested, that's ok, I just like the thought of keeping it all in one thread.))

I have a fellow worker whose mom made him come over and get his old comic book collection this weekend or she was going to toss em out (he's 47 yrs old).

I knew he had the books and figure most of them to be silver age. He had told me before that when he gets them to his house I could come see them.

Today, he stops by at lunch time and shows me a beautiful Superman #30 and a Batman #32 and says there are many more like that, plus plenty of silver age. Needless to say I am going ovwer to his house tomorrow night to see the rest of the collection (6 boxes worth). He knows they have value, but not how valuable. Since I know I can't afford them, I thought I would at least help him organize and value them out, as many as I can.

My question is what do you do in learning a current value? I have the Overstreet guide, but they don't give me an actual current selling price. What would you guys recommend I do? Any help would be appreciated.

I should add that I'm hoping he might throw a crumb my way if I help him sell. I like the guy, but I ain't no charity!

Thanks!

Between the price guide, checking completed ebay auctions, and heritage archives, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the value range of a given Golden Age book. If any of the stuff looks worth slabbing, a subscription to GPA would probably be valuable. For low-mid grade silver - I'd stick with ebay values.

Financially, if I'm honest with him, and I will be, it's out of my league. If it's as good as I hope, I'm hoping he'll let me scan some to here. He's talking like he's going to contact some auction place and let em all go. I think he could do better, but won't know til I see the whole collection.

You should offer to sell them for him on the boards. List them up at his asking price and see if you have any takers.....those that don't sell could go to ebay or an auction house.

Get him a decent price minus the auction house cut and maybe you could get one for your trouble.

Financially, if I'm honest with him, and I will be, it's out of my league. If it's as good as I hope, I'm hoping he'll let me scan some to here. He's talking like he's going to contact some auction place and let em all go. I think he could do better, but won't know til I see the whole collection.

one word...EBAY...so that my EBAY stocks would pick up sorry.gif

Got over there and he had company coming so I didn't get to go through them all but I did see the boxes (small boxes, not huge). He told me to grab a half dozen and research em for him if I wanted. Of course I wanted too! Guys, he's gonna sell the whole lote of them, I know it. Anyways, here's three of them (front scans only so far, but can do more if someone wants to see).

sensation41.jpg[/img]

gl16.jpg[/img]

sup30.jpg

>> I would at least help him organize and value them out

Good luck -- that would be a fun job!. How come my coworkers never have those

kind of books!!!!

One question, if he's 47 where did he get the golden age books? He can't be the

original ower (47 = 10 years old in 1969), so was he buying GA books when he was a collector?

gozer

----------

Request permission to sedate cargo ahead of schedule.

It sounds like you think he is going to let them all go to an auction house or dealer. I am sure there are plenty of people on the boards chomping at the bit to get a chance to purchase a collection like this. Me included. You should recomend that he let you make a list, scan the higher priced ones if there are too many to scan them all, and get an idea from board members what the collection might be worth. You will probably get plenty of interest from members here. First, make any board member that might happen to purchase them agree to pay you a finder's fee.

You could also use these boards as a selling platform and keep the commission that he would be paying to a larger auction house. If he went to comiclink he will be paying a 25% commission for ungraded books without being approved to sell ungraded books, so you could probably make him more money on here, along with some for yourself. Oh, and also let us have first stab at them. devil.gif

Gozer, I asked him that. I asked if they were his dad's. He said no, not his dad's, but that he probably picked them up yard saleing with his mom during the sixties. I haven't even seen what he has from silver age, when he would have been actually buying.

One thing I know. I've known this guy all my life, and when he tells me he hasn't bought a comic since he was fourteen, I believe him.

It sounds like you think he is going to let them all go to an auction house or dealer. I am sure there are plenty of people on the boards chomping at the bit to get a chance to purchase a collection like this. Me included. You should recomend that he let you make a list, scan the higher priced ones if there are too many to scan them all, and get an idea from board members what the collection might be worth. You will probably get plenty of interest from members here. First, make any board member that might happen to purchase them agree to pay you a finder's fee.

You could also use these boards as a selling platform and keep the commission that he would be paying to a larger auction house. If he went to comiclink he will be paying a 25% commission for ungraded books without being approved to sell ungraded books, so you could probably make him more money on here, along with some for yourself. Oh, and also let us have first stab at them. devil.gif

Yeah, I do believe he is thinking auction house. I'm telling him that he could do better here. I told him just before I left that I was going to post scans on this board. The last thing he said to me was let him know if there were any offers, so I am hoping he lets me sell here.

Try to sell them here. The golden age stuff you posted would sell in two seconds if it was priced reasonably.

Ahh, but thats the trick. What is reasonable? Thats what he wants me to tell him. Thats why I come here, cause you guys know. My biggest problem is he knows how to read a price guide, and guess what? The 1st thing they see is the NM values. I'm in the process of letting him know what I think grade-wise the books are, and thats where I could lose him. Especially if he thinks I'm trying to low-ball him. Hell, I told him I would sell them for nothing for him. All his. I can hope he'll (arrr) remember me later, but I won't count on that. It's just fun to actually get my (washed) hands on some of those books!

This looks like a fantastic bunch of comics! hail.gif

Post more here and we can let him know which to send to CGC.

If scans are too much, then just get a complete list with grade estimates.

I'd love to just see the whole list before they are broken up. cloud9.gif

Try to sell them here. The golden age stuff you posted would sell in two seconds if it was priced reasonably.

Ahh, but thats the trick. What is reasonable? Thats what he wants me to tell him. Thats why I come here, cause you guys know. My biggest problem is he knows how to read a price guide, and guess what? The 1st thing they see is the NM values. I'm in the process of letting him know what I think grade-wise the books are, and thats where I could lose him. Especially if he thinks I'm trying to low-ball him. Hell, I told him I would sell them for nothing for him. All his. I can hope he'll (arrr) remember me later, but I won't count on that. It's just fun to actually get my (washed) hands on some of those books!

Yep, that's the tricky part and it will take some work to get it right. Start with tight grading, then look at the guide, then look at Heritage and eBay, then knock off 10-20% if you want to sell them quickly.