• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at these Prices!!!

33 posts in this topic

Everyone brings fantastic points into the conversation!! So let's get this thread back to it's point, did you guys look at those old prices!?!?! If we only knew.. but's it's all relative, my income today isn't what it was 15 to 20 years ago. Anyways guys, I respect all the opinions about the market and I agree the 2 are different creatures but have some similarities economically. Let's reflect and enjoy what the thread was posted for.

Everyone brings fantastic points into the conversation!! So let's get this thread back to it's point, did you guys look at those old prices!?!?! If we only knew..

Another problem with looking back at Guide Prices, is that most times, books were NOT widely available in the stated condition.

Sure, you can look back at NM prices and think "Wow, I should have bought 10 copies of FF #1" but where and from whom? Most of the books being sold by any dealer are F to VF, and it was only when the various pedigrees were unearthered that you had a viable shot at buying true high-grade GA/SA hyper-keys.

And that's not even getting into over-grading or resto books that continue to plague the hobby.

Everyone brings fantastic points into the conversation!! So let's get this thread back to it's point, did you guys look at those old prices!?!?! If we only knew..

Another problem with looking back at Guide Prices, is that most times, books were NOT widely available in the stated condition.

Sure, you can look back at NM prices and think "Wow, I should have bought 10 copies of FF #1" but where and from whom? Most of the books being sold by any dealer are F to VF, and it was only when the various pedigrees were unearthered that you had a viable shot at buying true high-grade GA/SA hyper-keys.

And that's not even getting into over-grading or resto books that continue to plague the hobby.

Absolutely!! Another valid point thumbsup2.gif

OP: I get more irritated by the 1980/1981 price lists one sees in a lot of comics where ASM 129 is listed as a regular issue and priced at $1-$2 or whatever.

Joe: Are you saying the structure of the Dow and S&P 500 are manipulated for some nefarious purpose? I understand stocks drop in and out of them due to market cap issues, but seriously, if you own an S&P 500 fund, that's all taken care of for you and things get evened out. Sure, the stocks that composed the S&P 500 in 1999 are not the same as in 2006 (though most are) and I'd be curious how that 1999 S&P 500 did. 5-10% of that was probably companies that were there due to the temporary tech blip and might be busto right now.

Looking back on old Overstreets naturally makes you go "if only I had what I spend now, then... " but the valid point is that it would've been hard to find many of these. I only had what the Comic Shop in Toledo caried back in the late 70's. That was pretty much my source. I used to be in hog heaven if I scrounged and saved up $20.00 to go back in 1980 at the age of 14. Man, I didn't want one expensive book so I bought a lot of lesser grade books. I don't regret it because it made me happy then and I still have those great memories.

used to be in hog heaven if I scrounged and saved up $20.00 to go back in 1980 at the age of 14. Man, I didn't want one expensive book so I bought a lot of lesser grade books. I don't regret it because it made me happy then and I still have those great memories.

Man shadow!!! You're bang on!!! that's what collecting is truly about, but geezz....just look at that guide price for NM ASM #300 at $7.00. I bought many a modern book in those days for that price and they all sunk. 27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gif

whats more painful is looking at the old catalogs that advertised the pacific coast collection. PCEI was only a couple of hours from me. It was about the time I was a poor college student, and I remember seeing the prices and saying to myself...I really would want some of those spideys and daredevils.... but whose gonna buy those books at at three times guide?

Looking back tonofbricks.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~ruddj/PacificCoastSpideyAvengersDDSurfer.jpg

Also remember that fine and good copies of comics were ridiculously high in price back then compared to todays percentages. So even if you bought G and F copies back then, they're not worth that much more today save for a few titles and issues.

Also remember that fine and good copies of comics were ridiculously high in price back then compared to todays percentages. So even if you bought G and F copies back then, they're not worth that much more today save for a few titles and issues.

That's another thing people forget. A dealer would sell you a VF copy of a key issue, that was really F/VF or F, and to make matters worse, he'd spike it up 1.5X VF Guide, and you'd buy it because you needed the issue for your run.

Do the math.

whats more painful is looking at the old catalogs that advertised the pacific coast collection. PCEI was only a couple of hours from me. It was about the time I was a poor college student, and I remember seeing the prices and saying to myself...I really would want some of those spideys and daredevils.... but whose gonna buy those books at at three times guide?

Looking back tonofbricks.gif

So true! frown.gif

there was always a pretty good selection here in NYC. 25 years ago there were a lot of shows and a lot of shops and guys like Koch and Dolgoff with huge inventories, I guess Rogofsky too, but I never bought anything from him and I guess his grading could not be trusted. But Dolgoff's could/can be. there were definitely some high grade (well, NM) books to be had at guide or less. Maybe not so much GA, but 1965 and later, definitely.

Man if I had the money I do now I would have just told the guy at Styx comics to just give me every thing under the glass.

Hey topofthetotem, do you live in Winnipeg or the Manitoba Area? That guy from Styx comics is Joe, the original owner of the Winnipeg Pedigree. He now owns the shop on Academy calle Comics America. He used to be the mass distributor of all comics to Western Canada also.