• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Some sweet ST goodness :cloud9:

ST11394001.jpg

Beautiful! That's a tough book in high grade.

Thank you!! Highest graded copy I've ever seen for sale. According to the census, there's only 1 other 9.4 and 3 in 9.6. Bet there's only 2 9.6's and someone tried to resub for a 9.8, but that's just rampant speculation on my part :hi:

And here is mine.

Alan

Wow! That's a great copy (worship)

Alan, I remember seeing some other raw high grade ST of yours...great collection that you have ! (thumbs u

I showed this drawing (your bottom signature/avatar) to my 11-year old son and he really dug it! Can I have it? :devil:

Edited by trmoore54

Korvac, I thought you might of snap that book up. Vince did the rounds offering it to the usual suspects, but I passed. The usual story of too many brands in the fire.

It is a superb book, well done (thumbs u

Funnily enough I was speaking with some old time collectors this weekend gone on the early torch issues. And apparently back in the day, everyone beleived this was the run, and the character that everyone expected to take off.

Torch being an FF member, and with his stories with all the right artist's doing them. It was regarded as the best of the second tier titles around. And only a matter of time before it went big time.

But as time has shown us, the early issues, 101-109 are great, and highly rewarding to collect, but are not regarded as great key's or essentail early Marvel books.

They get somewhat overlooked from a collecting perspective othert than the ST completists. Probably hindered by the fact that #101 is expensive, and just generally difficult to locate in grade.

And #110 somewhat overshadows things, with more copies around ( 2 copies PC in 9.6 :insane: ), and more available in the affordable 8.5 - 9.0 range.

Thanks Stace, I'm mighty chuffed with it, to borrow a phrase!! HG early ST and a ped to boot?!?!?! This book had to be mine. :sumo:lol Interesting historical perspective on how ST was regarded when it first came out. As you know, I'm a big "tales" collector + I'm not too concerned about the different titles' status amongst collectors. If its ST, TTA, JIM or TOS, then its for me. ASM's, X-men and FF's are nice, but not as cool as my tales!!

Thanks Stace, I'm mighty chuffed with it, to borrow a phrase!! HG early ST and a ped to boot?!?!?! This book had to be mine. :sumo:lol Interesting historical perspective on how ST was regarded when it first came out. As you know, I'm a big "tales" collector + I'm not too concerned about the different titles' status amongst collectors. If its ST, TTA, JIM or TOS, then its for me. ASM's, X-men and FF's are nice, but not as cool as my tales!!

Korvac, there's no question.... Mass copy... early SA Torch story... top grade. It's going to be a very long time that book resurfaces!!

And once the Curator copies emerge and get slabbed, the rest of us might have a chance of catching up to your's and Doug's set doh!:wishluck:

Funnily enough I was speaking with some old time collectors this weekend gone on the early torch issues. And apparently back in the day, everyone beleived this was the run, and the character that everyone expected to take off.

Torch being an FF member, and with his stories with all the right artist's doing them. It was regarded as the best of the second tier titles around. And only a matter of time before it went big time.

But as time has shown us, the early issues, 101-109 are great, and highly rewarding to collect, but are not regarded as great key's or essentail early Marvel books.

They get somewhat overlooked from a collecting perspective othert than the ST completists. Probably hindered by the fact that #101 is expensive, and just generally difficult to locate in grade.

And #110 somewhat overshadows things, with more copies around ( 2 copies PC in 9.6 :insane: ), and more available in the affordable 8.5 - 9.0 range.

That's interesting. I love Strange Tales for Ditko's Dr. Strange: a fabulous run of work that lies buried in a run of books that, if price be a guide, is still rather underappreciated.

Strange Tales, even though it had "strange tales" backing up the Torch's run, became a bit of a marketing mismash after #110 (-112 and 113). The Torch strip started off like Superboy and, with the later addition of the Thing, morphed into a bit of a comedy skit. In all stages of its run, the Torch was definitely for a young audience.

Dr. Strange was not only a different genre, but written for an older audience. The book was a real odd couple. I sometimes think that those who bought the book, bought it out of loyalty to their favourite character -- as you only got 1/2 a book. Dr. Strange fans would find the Torch too juvenile and Torch fans would find Dr. Strange inaccessible.

Replacing the Torch with Fury did little to end the marketing schizophrenia of the book. The book now catered to the central "Marvel Age of Comics" audience (teens to college years), but coupling a techno-James Bond with a master of the mystic arts still provided the reader with 1/2 a book that he or she either did not read or enjoy fully.

Thought I would register some of my recently scanned pre-hero ST covers.

Love any Eqyptian/Sphinx cover..

ST_70.jpg

Can you say: "Thing prototype"?

ST_95.jpg

The very finest ST cover...I would go so far as to say that the cityscape has an almost partial wash-tone effect.

ST_97.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan