• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Indented Staples

26 posts in this topic

Seems that CGC does not downgrade for indented staples even those that severely deform the shape of a books spine all the way up into the 9.8 grade.

Here is an example...Linked as it is a large pic.

http://notchtop2002.com/9.8.jpg

Personally I find this to be my major pet peeve for flaws.

Strange to me that it does not affect the grade?

Any feedback or thoughts on this?

Jay Parrino's the Mint...

Some UNBELIEVABLE copies in there, and they spare no expense with their catalogs to say the least, bet it weighs 5 pounds , beautiful glossy pics.

Man they have some NICE books!

I don't like indented staples either. But as far as CGC go they come under the same printing flaw umbrella as mis-cuts/mis-wraps etc that they don't seem to downgrade for.

I think time will rectify this though, and ultimately printing flaws must affect the grade.

Oh my GOD, that's the highest-graded Golden Age key (or semi-key, or whatever you want to call it) that I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning!!!

I can't tell from the scan whether the paper is ripped due to that depression...it appears that it may have been depressed upon manufacture and it may not have ripped the paper due to that. I've seen several Marvel Annuals from the 1980s that are thick, but not squarebound, that have this same kind of depression due to the thickness of the pages, but that don't rip the paper.

If it indeed doesn't rip the paper, I consider this to be less of a defect than the more common cause of indented staples where an issue is somewhere in the middle or towards the bottom of a stack, the stack shifts in the direction of the spine, and the pressure forces the cover and sometimes the interior pages to rip around the staples.

Does he have different items in the catalog than the stuff he has on-line??

Jonny D.

Yes....Alot of coins and graded money...But a good 80 pages of comics. Some astonishing stuff that I have never seen before.

FF...Here is another example of what I am referring to. Very common in this particular issue...And alot of late 30's ditkos.

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/photo.asp?id=807160027&lot_id=160027&d=&zoom=1&SID=8A81BFA6296643BBB37EEE19C5C070EF

Although no tearing is present, I am amazed that books are not downgraded for this flaw. After all I thought CGC was spine crazy wink.gif Guess that just applies to color breaking stress marks?

Yeh, they're nice..but the coins seem like they take up over half the catalog... I paid 10 dollars for mine mad.gif

Brian

Ten Bucks I don't mind, but this site says $50.00

http://jp-themint.com/catalog.cfm

That's a lot of scratch for a book that you don't even know has something you want in it.

Brian,...can you do me a solid and check and see if he has any Wondrer Woman besides the #28 on his website??

Jonny D.

It came with a book that I bought from them..where the "shipping" charges were 20 dollars...however, the actual shipping charges were just about 7 dollars...and then I get this dumb thing.. so basically I paid to get it.

Found the following..

Sensation Comics 1 CGC 9.4 $150,000

Wonder Woman 1 Crowley Copy CGC 8.0 $32,000

Wonder Woman 28 CGC 9.4 $3,200

Wonder Woman 105 CGC 8.0 $2,800

Brian

It came with a book that I bought from them..where the "shipping" charges were 20 dollars...however, the actual shipping charges were just about 7 dollars...and then I get this dumb thing.. so basically I paid to get it.

Found the following..

Sensation Comics 1 CGC 9.4 $150,000

Wonder Woman 1 Crowley Copy CGC 8.0 $32,000

Wonder Woman 28 CGC 9.4 $3,200

Wonder Woman 105 CGC 8.0 $2,800

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Interesting that he has a #105 in vf 8.0....only one shows in census and Rosenberg has it in his catalog...for $2,600.00 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"I can't tell from the scan whether the paper is ripped due to that depression...it appears that it may have been depressed upon manufacture and it may not have ripped the paper due to that. I've seen several Marvel Annuals from the 1980s that are thick, but not squarebound, that have this same kind of depression due to the thickness of the pages, but that don't rip the paper."

I can tell you that the paper is NOT torn. This comic is one of the best golden age books I have ever seen! cloud9.gifAnd I have seen a few smirk.gif

I can tell you that the paper is NOT torn. This comic is one of the best golden age books I have ever seen! cloud9.gifAnd I have seen a few smirk.gif

Don't know if you'll see this post Steve, but is that CGC 9.9 (white paged) Mile High copy of Zip Comics #7 from 1940 still the highest graded Golden Age book? Have any other G.A. books received 9.9's or......gasp.....10.0's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That Spidey 36 has tearing around the staple, although it's extremely minor at around 1/32". Flat, 32-page issues like that are easier to staple than the thicker books. The combined tearing from the top and bottom edges of the top staple on the Spidey 36 is probably no more than 1/16" in total length, maybe less, which is fairly minor.

But can you just add up the two tears from the top and bottom of the staple and compare them to a 1/16" tear somewhere else on the book without it being like comparing apples to oranges? I don't think so, I think the recessed staple is more severe. Like yourself, my eyes go right to those recessed staples...unlike a tiny tear on an edge, it also detracts from the square outline of the comic as a whole. But it is a minor, minor defect on this Spidey 36...I hate 1/16" cover miswraps more than a minor recessed staple like this.

Oh my GOD, that's the highest-graded Golden Age key (or semi-key, or whatever you want to call it) that I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning!!!

That's an incredible pedigree. It's the same that produced that smokin' Cap #1 in 9.6!

That's an incredible pedigree. It's the same that produced that smokin' Cap #1 in 9.6!

It also produced the best Detective 27. I would love to just get a good look at that book.