• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how does CGC handle autographs that are not certified

52 posts in this topic

I've never seen one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Really? I can remember when CGC changed this, and all the cover sig books were suddenly coming back Qualified - it was quite a stink. This was awhile ago, and would only show up on the oldest labels.

These books were also denoted as "Stan Lee written on cover" rather than the generic "name" comment used now, obviously to protect their SS business model.

I don't why that seems unfair? CGC or a CGC approved witness did not see the signing so why should they say that it is a true signature?

Huh? No one asking for a Signature Series label, just not a Qualified.

Here's an example: Some kid writes his name on the cover (Winnipeg pedigree for example) and it's a Universal, yet if Stan Lee puts his name on it, it's a Qualified. In fact, the only time it gets a Qualified is if the book was signed by a pro.

Seems rather strange, no?

If I sign a book on the cover myself & submit it in Baltimore...I imagine it would get a Green Label. Will CGC give it a Blue Label & deduct for the writing on the cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I sign a book on the cover myself & submit it in Baltimore...I imagine it would get a Green Label. Will CGC give it a Blue Label & deduct for the writing on the cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The latter, I'd imagine, unless your name is shared with someone famous in the biz.

Otherwise, the entire pedigree enterprise comes crumbling down.

I've never seen one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Really? I can remember when CGC changed this, and all the cover sig books were suddenly coming back Qualified - it was quite a stink. This was awhile ago, and would only show up on the oldest labels.

These books were also denoted as "Stan Lee written on cover" rather than the generic "name" comment used now, obviously to protect their SS business model.

I remember SB addressing this before. Pretty sure the actual name will be noted if the signature is recognizable.

I have a few SS books coming back that had unauthenticated interior Byrne sigs prior to getting Cockrum to add his sig to the covers if front of a SS witness. I'm expecting them to come back with the notation : "John Byrne" written on 1st page

Signature series drives me crazy. Such a waste of all those high grade books. Especially silver and bronze. All for a temporary marketing fad frown.gif
893whatthe.gif You shouldnt say that in this tread with all the SS freaks..

This issue seems to come up fairly frequently...why it seems that just yesterday (ok, two years ago) Steve and JC went back and forth on this:

JC:

Okay, before the Sig Series debuted, comics with a creator's name on the cover received a Universal grade with the name denoted. I have one.

Now you stated that all DF autographed books (with no other sketches/numbers/issues) were always given a Qualified grade, even in the early days and I was wondering what the rationale was?

Remember, this question requires to time-slide back to pre-Sig Series days.

Steve:

Unless it was mid or low grade, or in the 1st 2 months, that is not true. Can you post it? We have always "qualified" sigs on the cover in high grade before the sig series. The sig series came from people asking us for authentication of sigs. The Sig Series came 1 1/2 to 2 years into CGC inception.

Bugaboo:

Now let's see if Joe even bothers to respond to you. Usually, when he's shown to be wrong, he just ignores the post/thread and starts a new one to complain in.

27_laughing.gif

We never did see Joe's book with the "creator's name on the cover received a Universal grade with the name denoted" confused-smiley-013.gif

More on the subject from December of 2002..."Your signed book would receive a green Qualified Label noting the signature as writing and describing its location."

This one's funny, here's Steve's response to another of JC's rants about how CGC handles sigs -"I am sure you have not submitted many comics to CGC because you have all of this mis-information......" 27_laughing.gif

Banner, you need to spruce up your reading skills:

This was awhile ago, and would only show up on the oldest labels.

Please show me where Steve stated that ABSOLUTELY NO books like this received a Qualified grade.

This one's funny, here's Steve's response to another of JC's rants about how CGC handles sigs -"I am sure you have not submitted many comics to CGC because you have all of this mis-information......" 27_laughing.gif

Ever notice how CGC takes off once extremely-logical questions like this one (posted by blowout) appear:

"But WHY does it get a Qualified label if it is on the front cover?

If it is clearly seen through the holder, shouldn't it get a Universal grade with no notes, as a book with an arrival date or similar 'writing on cover' would?"

I have yet to see a valid and logical reason for this.

Signature series drives me crazy. Such a waste of all those high grade books. Especially silver and bronze. All for a temporary marketing fad frown.gif

I must agree. I'm not a big fan of sigs and don't see the value in it, especially on a hi grade book. I can see why people would think it's cool, but it's not for me. I'd probably rather have a piece of paper with the sig on it slipped into the book, than rather have it on the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

Like a lot of the "signature fads" in other hobbies, collectors a decade from now, will look back and shake their heads at the stupidity of this collecting generation. So many nice comics defaced for the all-mighty dollar.

I felt like smacking Beyonder when he showed me some of those X-Men with the horrible signatures on the cover. Just wait ten years. devil.gif

We all know how Anfield feels but we still talk to him. screwy.gif

Like a lot of the "signature fads" in other hobbies, collectors a decade from now, will look back and shake their heads at the stupidity of this collecting generation. So many nice comics defaced for the all-mighty dollar.

I felt like smacking Beyonder when he showed me some of those X-Men with the horrible signatures on the cover. Just wait ten years. devil.gif

27_laughing.gif

Austin & Claremont were supposed to sign the interiors. Christo_pull_hair.gif

They were supa-sweet before I made the mistake of cracking them.

CGCSSX-MEN130.jpg

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

So then ALL those that are currently into the CGC SS books will just up and disappear in ten years? (or however long).

I actually think it's kind of cool to have a book (be it childhood treasure OR modern book) signed by your favorite artist or author.

Remember it's not JUST the fact that you own said signature book (or whatever), but the memory that you talked to the person in question. Though I will agree that sometimes it IS just about having it signed. But I don't see a problem with that.

I remember back in the early 90s when I had Jimmy Palmiotti sign some Ninjak issues - it wasn't his signature, but the actual meeting that was meaningful and fun.

Now would I have (or had) Joe Shuster or Jerry Siegel sign an Action #1??? That one I would have to think about, but even now I'm leaning toward yes. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We all know how Anfield feels but we still talk to him. screwy.gif
27_laughing.gif

Unauthenticated cover signatures garner Green labels now & always have.

Pre-SS, they got a Universal, but once CGC changed the business model to authenticated sigs.... devil.gif

Not so. Pre-SS I received a green lable for a cover sig.

Incorrect. gossip.gif

So what are old "front cover sig" books with Blue labels, all mistakes?

I've never seen one. Got a scan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I posted a scan of mine in Golden Age a while back. cloud9.gifLINK