• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Marvel Mini-Seies

22 posts in this topic

I would say the first Marvel mini-series is Contest of Champions.

Oh wait, you said not counting Contest of Champions.

Then I would have to say Contest of Champions is the the first Marvel mini-series.

Perhaps because Contest of Champions was not originally supposed to be a mini-series,but an extra large one shot.Only after negotiations with the Olympic Committee broke down did they decide to publish it in three books.

Wolverine,Hercules,Hawkeye,Falcon,ect,ect were designed as limited series from the start.

I always though Wolverine was the first,but know I have my doubts.

Contest of Champions was the first mini! An incredibly important set of books, really the dawn of a new era. Or at least that's how I plan to market my 10 sets of them whenever I get around to selling them.

A look at the OPG will give the dates, but it sure as heck felt like Wolverine was the first other mini and Falcon/Hawkeye, etc. followed shortly thereafter.

Just wonder if there was anything earlier that was intended to wrap up relatively shortly. Was 2001 supposed to end when it did or was it just cancelled? How about some of those other short mid-70s series? man from atlantis?

Contest of Champions was the first mini! An incredibly important set of books, really the dawn of a new era. Or at least that's how I plan to market my 10 sets of them whenever I get around to selling them.

A look at the OPG will give the dates, but it sure as heck felt like Wolverine was the first other mini and Falcon/Hawkeye, etc. followed shortly thereafter.

Just wonder if there was anything earlier that was intended to wrap up relatively shortly. Was 2001 supposed to end when it did or was it just cancelled? How about some of those other short mid-70s series? man from atlantis?

You have 10 sets? I need one. PM me if you don't mind selling and i will take one flowerred.gif

I think The Man from Atlantis was scheduled for a limited number of issues.

In reading a run of Conan the King,I was quite surprised to see ads for Hercules,the limited series. It appears that that mini-series came out at the same time as Wolverine.

2001 was canceled as were most of the short lived series from the 70s. In fact in 2001 I think they specifically talk about this being the last issue due to poor sales in the letter column.

2001 was canceled as were most of the short lived series from the 70s. In fact in 2001 I think they specifically talk about this being the last issue due to poor sales in the letter column.

I recently read the run and for the most part the first few issues all told the same story using different faces and names.

Kinda' like reading a re-run with only the names being changed to make you think each issue is different.

The Standard Catalog Of Comic Books (CBG, 4th edition) has the 1st Hercules mini listed as 9/82 through 12/82, and the 1st Wolverine series with the same cover dates, so they did indeed come out at the same time.

yes, I remember buying both of these "off the rack" at the same time, during the same purchase.... thumbsup2.gif

Bump

I bought all the minis off the rack as they came out. I enjoyed the Cloak & Dagger mini

YES !!! Although that came a little later... Rick Loenardi...( IMHO one of the most underappreciated artists EVER ) with Terry Austin inks, EXCELLENT artwork...!!!!

thumbsup2.gif

Bump

Yeah, its contest of champs, no 2 ways about it.

I think my favorite 80's mini when it was out was longshot becuse I LOVED Adams' art. I bought them at my local 7-11 but #3 was gone before I could get it I never did read #3 in all these years. He does have a mullet though....

I bought all the minis off the rack as they came out. I enjoyed the Cloak & Dagger mini

I've always been a Cloak & Dagger fan and I bought that first mini as well. Although he is thought of as a hack, Bill Mantlo probably brought me as much comic book fun as any creator has.

(I've always enjoyed self contained stories, which is why I love minis and original graphic novels.)