• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*SIGH* another day, another scammer

66 posts in this topic

as soon as i post this you know what i get in my email? damn straight, a email with scans of the back cover form the seller. 893frustrated.gif i'll try to get the back cover scans posted, then you kids can tell me if theauction is legit or not. gossip.giflaugh.gif

You have to ask two questions:

1) Can I either come by and see the books or if I win, pick up the books in person with a cashiers check.

2) If not, can I use an escrow service (and say you will pay all fees).

If you get NO and NO (or no response) then the auction is almost surely not legit.

I would be interested to know if anyone has ever won one of these "just found in the attic" type auctions and it was legit (including the actual grade given).

I emailed him and asked for a back cover pic and a pic of the first page upside-down. He emailed me right away (within an hour or so) with both pics. The back cover was a psd file (don't know what this is) and the first page was a jpeg. He asked why and I told him that basically he looks like a scammer. I didn't say that exactly but said that with no feedback, starting the auction the same day he signed up on eBay and putting up the books he put up it all looks a little funny. I'll attach both and you can take a look.

589a8af490388_195547-giantsizex-men1stpageupsidedown.JPG.6e2e2e5573fe5f8566c686480008f8d1.JPG

nice avatar! hey if it looks like a scammer it usually is, im just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. it's easy to save front cover scans, but it's usually hard to get the back cover scans, still no new email from the seller. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

I emailed him and asked for a back cover pic and a pic of the first page upside-down.

What does the upside-down san prove? That he knows how to use the "flip/rotate" option in Paint? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I am wondering if he has the book at all so I asked for a pic of the first page upside-down. I know he can flip it but I don't know how many pics are out there of the first page vs. the front/back cover. So I guess I didn't have to ask for it upside-down but I did want to try and figure out if he has the book at all. I see that someone else gave us the litmus test for proving if he's for-real but I thought this would be easier than a plane trip to Phoenix where it's 1000 degrees.

Someone else had posted on this yesterday....but , for the life of me...I can't find it..

Keep us posted supa... 893applaud-thumb.gif

That was me down in the marketpalce. Arty, I can't tell from the small image you

posted but that back cover don't look near as white as the front. Heck it could be

the back cover of any book from the time so I don't think that helps.

Calling it a scam was a bit premature in that you just asked him a day ago.. Not everyone spends tons of time on the internet like all of us. :\

Anyways, IMO it's more likely an overgraded raw book than it is a scam.

Brian

Calling it a scam was a bit premature in that you just asked him a day ago.. Not everyone spends tons of time on the internet like all of us. :\

Anyways, IMO it's more likely an overgraded raw book than it is a scam.

Brian

well no email reply since i asked for the back cover scans, you say overgraded, does the ASM 129 and the X-Men 4 look overgraded to you. im saying those are not his books, or the books up for auction. 893naughty-thumb.gifboo.gif

Well considering you gave him 1 day to reply to you, all I'm saying is you jumped the gun. I can't see a thing on those books, they could easily be VG+. I posted a scan of my ASM 129 which was a VF, but the scan looks like it's a 9.2

Brian

well no email reply since i asked for the back cover scans, you say overgraded, does the ASM 129 and the X-Men 4 look overgraded to you. im saying those are not his books, or the books up for auction. 893naughty-thumb.gifboo.gif

what.gif