• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what's the buzz on Valiant?

68 posts in this topic

While browsing ebay I see that there's a CGC 9.4 copy of Predator Vs Magnus listed. Zipped over to ValiantComics.com and found that the last raw NM price listed is from 11/05 for $104.... was wondering what this will go for as it's currently mid-$30s with a starting bid. Also there's a raw copy up, looks kinda worn, probably FN+ or a very weak VF that is mid-$40s with days to go after multiple bids.

Raw NM for $183! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

A weak NM? Hard to tell on this cover, but it looks like maybe a couple color breaking spine creases roughly 1/3 down from the top, across from the bottom of the logo.

I snagged the ebay image for thread posterity.

1506768-pvm1019061.JPG

Not a bad looking "ebay NM" copy. So what multiple is a slabbed 9.6 or 9.8 worth? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And on another track, is there any heat to the Deathmate Blue/Black/Yellow/etc limited Gold variants among Valiant collectors?

1506768-pvm1019061.JPG.bc0476f13eaadd3470e5de77691a9407.JPG

While browsing ebay I see that there's a CGC 9.4 copy of Predator Vs Magnus listed. Zipped over to ValiantComics.com and found that the last raw NM price listed is from 11/05 for $104.... was wondering what this will go for as it's currently mid-$30s with a starting bid. Also there's a raw copy up, looks kinda worn, probably FN+ or a very weak VF that is mid-$40s with days to go after multiple bids.

There's a reserve on the CGC 9.4 being sold by Comix Empire - anyone want to speculate on what it might be? $100? $150? $200?

I think there's a 9.8 in the census now. I never sold my 9.6 after several attempts on ebay failed to find a buyer with very deep pockets, so I never felt the need to part with it for lower amounts! cloud9.gif

Then I checked out the Solar hardcover edition Alpha and Omega and find there's one of those going for $45 with less than a day to go. Last ValiantComics.com price from 12/05 was just over $51.

So, what's the buzz on these HTF Valiants - is interest picking up? Didn't the Valiant IP get sold to new investors? Is there news of any characters or titles resuming publication. And what's up with ValiantMan and the stale prices on his web site? Is he on vacation in '06? Hope he shows up here so we can tar and feather him or coerce him to get back on the job so we can all enjoy the fruit of his labors! poke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gif

There has never been a better time to buy pre unity valiants. There is no doubt in my mind that there are the next big thing in comics in the next couple of years.

"The best time to buy a sure thing is when only you know its a sure thing" and we have been told by Mr. Valiantcomics.com himself. That is also good enough for me since I have reached that same conclusion based on different factors.

And on another track, is there any heat to the Deathmate Blue/Black/Yellow/etc limited Gold variants among Valiant collectors?

If there is - and there isn't - you're better off trying your hand a Ebay and hoping somebody who is noticing a trend (and doesn't know the difference between Pre-Unity/Unity bites. Most Valiant fans abhor the Deathmate books and any premium that one would think would be associated with the variants indicates that stigma even while be represented by pretty low print runs. If anything Deathmate represented the final blow that ended Valiant being a publisher worth pursuing any longer, and in many ways is a microcosm reflecting the industry itself.

Damn, while what i just said was meant to demean them, I think I just talked myself into buying more.

From observation, Valiant loyalists are hoarders so you might get an offer for the lot in HG (and I mean extreme HG as from what I have seen as of late the 9.8 Valiant keys - Harbinger#1-6, Solar 10, EW#1 Gold Flat, Rai#3, Magnus/Predator TPB, Diamond Unity TPB, etc, etc - are carrying a rather hefty premium in the last couple of months while anything below is essentially ignored). Now hefty is relative (even fro ma few years ago), but as a fan even I was pretty surprised when I saw copies of early Harbinger sell for over $200 recently. That said, I believe the registry just added a Valiant Variant set option, but I think anyone who would care picked these books up long ago.

Valiant fans aren't numerous, but they are normally passionate.

As a result, books which still hold some level of "passion" to the Valiant fan have a better chance

of retaining (or increasing) the value they have now.

Books which are collected, but "unloved", such as the Deathmate gold variants,

probably don't hold the same promise for future value, primarily because they

aren't "demanded" today even though they are lower print (20,000 copies or less).

Prices paid for a given book are always a range of "highs and lows".

Record sales prices for a comic are driven by passionate fans.

Lower minimums for that same comic are driven by passive fans.

Any time the lower minimum for a comic is still respectible,

that's when you know it's a comic that matters.

When the record sales prices for a comic aren't overwhelming,

that's when you know that even passionate fans don't care much.

More fans in either group (passionate or passive) support the price ranges...

but only the passionate fans will push prices to the sky (or keep them there).

Valiant fans who "hoard" multiple copies of some books are most likely:

A. Passionate fans still passionate about buying multiples of the book

-or-

B. Passionate fans who buy their multiples passively at lower prices

Either way, they are passionate fans.

It's unlikely that passive fans are hoarding Valiant... (or any other back issues for that matter)

so hoarding back issues, while being a sign of greed (of course),

is usually ALSO a sign of a passionate fan... the best type of fan. grin.gif

Hoarding new issues is usually just a sign of greed. tongue.gif

If anything Deathmate represented the final blow that ended Valiant being a publisher worth pursuing any longer, and in many ways is a microcosm reflecting the industry itself.

Damn, while what i just said was meant to demean them, I think I just talked myself into buying more.

893whatthe.gif

I can understand that the Deathmate books themselves aren't desireable, but I thought maybe the gold variants might be more popular.

It was interesting to me to note that I saw VERY few Valiants at the Mid-Ohio Con while browsing through bargain boxes at numerous dealers. Probably I didn't spot more than 2-3 dozen copies in boxes spanning quarter boxes up to $3 boxes. And I mean ANY Valiant, even those "common" issues from the large print run years. Are these so unloved now that dealers don't even want to bring them to shows to blow them out? Or have they all been scooped up and stored in massive warehouses by some of the mega comic dealers? Or are they filling up landfills now? 27_laughing.gif

Even those "common" Valiants would have been of more interest to comics collectors than some of the dregs I thumbed through in dozens of quarter boxes! thumbsup2.gif

Generally, the Valiant "prizes" are gone from bargain bins... though there are sightings from time-to-time.

Valiant common issues are probably still "travel prohibitive" meaning that if someone's lugging boxes

of their cheapest product, they're probably picking the things they believe the cheapest buyers like.

It may not be true as a blanket statement, but it seems more likely that a "flashy cover"

will sell from a bargain bin faster than a "slightly-less-muscular, significantly-less-mammoried" Valiant cover.

After all... at a convention... who has the time to check content for a $0.25 purchase? grin.gif

I've heard from a few dealers who have said they have significant Valiant backstock,

and they're perfectly happy to sit on it in hopes of "solid" prices in the future,

rather than blow it out for pennies. I wonder how long they'll wait, but 13 years later,

many of them haven't budged. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It may not be true as a blanket statement, but it seems more likely that a "flashy cover"

will sell from a bargain bin faster than a "slightly-less-muscular, significantly-less-mammoried" Valiant cover.

Turok#1 should be a staple in any bargain BIN then!

I can understand that the Deathmate books themselves aren't desireable, but I thought maybe the gold variants might be more popular.

You're absolutely right, the variants are indeed more popular, but in this case you're talking more popular in comparison to a quantity that has no value.

All that said - and to step a way from the high dollars and potential high dollars - early Valiant in quarter bins might just represent the best story/value ratio in the industry.

so hoarding back issues, while being a sign of greed (of course),

is usually ALSO a sign of a passionate fan... the best type of fan.

I have to include myself in the passionate, valiant, and greedy (mostly the latter) group. thumbsup2.gif

If anything Deathmate represented the final blow that ended Valiant being a publisher worth pursuing any longer, and in many ways is a microcosm reflecting the industry itself.

893whatthe.gif

It was interesting to me to note that I saw VERY few Valiants at the Mid-Ohio Con while browsing through bargain boxes at numerous dealers. thumbsup2.gif

I am interested in the Deathmate Golds (that I do not already have in 9.8) in CGC 9.8 and as 9.8 raw candidates. Not as easy to obtain as you would think.

And there are always plenty of Valiants, cheap and expensive, at shows I set up at! I'll carry them to the ends of the earth! thumbsup2.gif

Generally, the Valiant "prizes" are gone from bargain bins... though there are sightings from time-to-time.

Valiant common issues are probably still "travel prohibitive" meaning that if someone's lugging boxes

of their cheapest product, they're probably picking the things they believe the cheapest buyers like.

After all... at a convention... who has the time to check content for a $0.25 purchase? grin.gif

I've heard from a few dealers who have said they have significant Valiant backstock,

and they're perfectly happy to sit on it in hopes of "solid" prices in the future,

rather than blow it out for pennies. I wonder how long they'll wait, but 13 years later,

many of them haven't budged. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What books are on your buy them now valiant list. Thanks

How truely rare are the dealer preview copies. I wonder how many actually still exist................

I always buy Harbinger 0 Pink, Harbinger 1, Magnus 0, Unity 0 Red, Chaos Effect Alpha Red,

when I see them for $10 or less... any (complete) condition.

Doesn't happen very often... but when it does, I "buy them now".

I'll pay more for these books in higher condition... CGC graded I like to pay under GPA.

Any Gold issue (besides Deathmate) is a good deal for $5.

(Deathmate golds were double-printed so that Valiant and Image both got full quantity,

so the Deathmate golds are not really worth $5 to me.)

How truely rare are the dealer preview copies. I wonder how many actually still exist................

These aren't Valiant books... but they are previews of the Acclaim "volume two" versions

of some Valiant titles. Since Acclaim changed the characters so drastically, there isn't a large

Valiant following for Acclaim books (of any kind). Acclaim collectors seem to be a "subset"

of Valiant collectors, and most have already picked up the dealer previews ("Retailer Reviews")

for about $5 each (or less).

One dealer in Texas was constantly offering the full "dealer preview" set (about 8 different books)

on Ebay, and they sold for $20 to $50 as a set.

I always buy Harbinger 0 Pink, Harbinger 1, Magnus 0, Unity 0 Red, Chaos Effect Alpha Red,

when I see them for $10 or less..

I'm the same but I'd add Eternal Warrior#1 Gold Flat and Gold Emboosed, Solar#10, Rai#3, and any Harbinger from 6 down, but admittedly not interested in any copy below a strict NM/M. Now that I'm at it, I'm really down for most of the variants in HG - Magnus Platinum, Mannus#21 Gold, etc. To be honest I don't own a slabbed Bloodshot#0 gold which is unfortunate.

That blasted CKB has me checking out the Valiant Nintendo Issues now to confused-smiley-013.gif (which means PM if you have any in high grade and priced to move)

when I see them for $10 or less..

I'm the same but I'd add Eternal Warrior#1 Gold Flat and Gold Emboosed, Solar#10, Rai#3, and any Harbinger from 6 down, but admittedly not interested in any copy below a strict NM/M. Now that I'm at it, I'm really down for most of the variants in HG - Magnus Platinum, Mannus#21 Gold, etc. To be honest I don't own a slabbed Bloodshot#0 gold which is unfortunate.

That blasted CKB has me checking out the Valiant Nintendo Issues now to confused-smiley-013.gif (which means PM if you have any in high grade and priced to move)

poke2.gif

About a year ago I had a Harbinger 0 pink on ebay. I listed it as the regular version and not the variant. Shortly after it was listed I had a potential buyer email me a question as to whether the scan shows that it's really the pink cover. At first I had no idea what he was talking about, I did a little research and found out that my copy was indeed the pink variant. I immediately changed my auction title and added "pink". The book sold for around $60.

when I see them for $10 or less... any (complete) condition.

Doesn't happen very often... but when it does, I "buy them now".

I'll pay more for these books in higher condition... CGC graded I like to pay under GPA.

Any Gold issue (besides Deathmate) is a good deal for $5.

(Deathmate golds were double-printed so that Valiant and Image both got full quantity,

so the Deathmate golds are not really worth $5 to me.)

These aren't Valiant books... but they are previews of the Acclaim "volume two" versions

of some Valiant titles. Since Acclaim changed the characters so drastically, there isn't a large

Valiant following for Acclaim books (of any kind). Acclaim collectors seem to be a "subset"

of Valiant collectors, and most have already picked up the dealer previews ("Retailer Reviews")

for about $5 each (or less).

One dealer in Texas was constantly offering the full "dealer preview" set (about 8 different books)

on Ebay, and they sold for $20 to $50 as a set.

It would really be awesome to have a Valiant thread on these boards. There are a lot of collectors who could learn a lot from a thread like that without having to join Valiantcomics.com which also serves a paticular market.

Have any more Platinum errors shown up lately. thanks.

A weak NM? Hard to tell on this cover, but it looks like maybe a couple color breaking spine creases roughly 1/3 down from the top, across from the bottom of the logo.

There's a slabbed 9.0, 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8 on the census. What do you think these would bring in the market? Think the raw NM at $183 is more or less than the value of a slabbed 9.4?

There's a slabbed 9.0, 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8 on the census. What do you think these would bring in the market? Think the raw NM at $183 is more or less than the value of a slabbed 9.4?

Really tough to say. There's always that hope of more 9.6+'s coming from somewhere on a 'recent' book like this, so it might suppress the price on a slabbed 9.4 despite the low census numbers.

I just had one fail a pre-screen at 9.2, which was disappointing. sorry.gif Unfortunately, most of the copies we see turn up look worse than 9.0. Storage damage is common, since virtually no one read the thing.

Really tough to say. There's always that hope of more 9.6+'s coming from somewhere on a 'recent' book like this, so it might suppress the price on a slabbed 9.4 despite the low census numbers.

I agree, because this is a Dark Horse (printed) book, there's a possibility that a case

(or some nice quantity) has survived somewhere separate from where Valiants have turned up.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Dark Horse is sitting on any unsold stock...

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=43-801

...so I'm not sure who would be the most likely source of a 12-year-old unopened case.

What do you think of the raw "ebay NM" vs the slabbed 9.4. Which is more valuable? The raw went for $183, but my vote is that the slabbed 9.4 would be more valuable. Guess I just don't trust ebayers grading comics "NM" when posted with low-res pics instead of scans, and even then only the FC and not the BC.

Does anyone know the buyer of that ebay NM copy? Wonder what grade it really was... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif