• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, who snagged the Tec 33 off eBay?

23 posts in this topic

I was watching that book! The guy sent me some additional scans. At first I thought he might have been a scammer. Seemed too good to be true. Perhaps he was. But the auction ended early.

Anyone have any other details about it? Detective 33

dc33coverreduced.jpg

dc33backcover.jpg

I was also watching it but then it just ended so I don't know what happened. I looked at the guy's feedback and it seemed like he sold so Golden-Age stuff so higher chance he was on the up and up.

Any collector who has a calibre book such as TEC #33 will damn-well know if the book was retstored, whether prior to originally buying it or finding out after. That auction is so vague in description to drive up the speculator's hopes. I wouldn't say a scam, but not being forthright with everything he knows.

Hey, lighten up. The guy's not a pro when it comes to grading. yeahok.gif

No way.. he's selling a CGC graded Fantastic Four #1 but wouldn't want to release the potential $$$ from getting the Tec #33 graded. Then to write a 3 line description which is mostly saying he can't grade is his parachute out. That says to me, "restored but I'm going to play dumb and since I am caveting my description I'm off the hook if there is restoration. " You would certainly build up a better marketing plan then 3 lines with this type of book.

true, he may not be a pro when it comes to grading, but if you're going to venture into selling books of this caliber, then you damned well better know how to look for resto. Buy a darned hand held blacklight for crying out loud!

makepoint.gif

Phil- he is a fraud.. Plays off as 'dumb' but is nowhere near. I was lucky not to get badly burned. He knows exactly what he is selling.

The only way he is a true fraud to me is if he takes my money and sends no book. I would gladly have paid decent money for a restored Detective 33. I rarely assume eBay sellers know what the heck they are talking about anyway. So I bid with that in mind. So if they overgrade, or don't mention restoration then I don't get burned so bad.

what if they do not disclose major defects, and knowingly grade Fair books as Fine?

Then they are a typical eBay seller. Or a complete thief! Let's face it, most of the people selling comics on eBay can't grade to save their life. We, comic collectors, have to depend on scans and the feedback of the seller. I have been disappointed numerous times when buying, Once in a while I actually send them back, but ususally don't.

But I will grant you that if someone knowingly sells a book that is incomplete, trimmed, missing a coupon or some other obvious defect then they are dishonest scumbags. If they are incapable of seeing small amounts of restoration or just missed it, then they aren't thieves, just untrained.

Heck, I miss color touch from time to time too. Resto guys are getting better and better at making resto nearly invisible.

But even if the guy is a scumbag and I can get a Tec 33 for way under guide, restored or unrestored, I'm in. Because I am avarice when it comes to collecting comic books, therefore vulnerable.

I am in firm belief that this was a scam!!

When i asked about the book, he did supply large scans (front and back covers), but failed to answer any questions about restoration.

The second time I emailed him about the book, a day before bidding was to end, I brought to his attention that this book looked exactly (right down to white specs from the scanning glass) like the TEC 33 on Metro's site (see second TEC 33 down) :

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSear...p;search=Search

he basically said someone else had mentioned this, but it was NOT the same book. I woke up the next morning and the book was pulled from ebay.

CLEARLY a scam. It was so obviously the same book as the Metro copy, I can't believe he would take the time to email me back to deny it.

Aren't you glad you didn't bid??