• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Early Richie Rich (1-3), Harvey Hits (3,9) Little Dot 6

35 posts in this topic

Any notes in the Overstreet Price Guide regarding it's scarcity? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll send the seller an email to see if he has it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Most sellers I've contacted weren't selling their Little Dot #6's. It's a conspiracy! 27_laughing.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Little Dot # 6 is indeed a very hard issue to find in high grade let alone any grade. Of course the attractiveness of it is the first cover appearance of Richie Rich and Little Lotta but Richie is the primary draw. I've seen more Dot # 1's for sale on E-Bay than I have # 6's to be sure. As a Harvey seller on E-Bay, I get more questions about whether I have this issue for sale than any other book so I'm pretty sure there is a demand (albeit small) for it.

There is an argument that 3D-Dolly # 1 is actually Richie's first cover appearance. If you look closely at the cover, jumping out of the comic is a character who is drawn suspiciously like Richie Rich, and the fact that issue does contain Richie's first appearance from Dot # 1 bodes well for this argument. Another collector pointed it out to me as I hadn't paid that close of attention to the cover to 3D-Dolly # 1 in the past. Check it out for yourself. I'm still not sure what I think about it. I tend to think it's not Richie Rich but the likeness is sure there.

Regarding Harvey Hits # 3 & 9, # 9 is by far the harder book to find in high grade over # 3. In my opinion, it's also the more desirable issue of the two because it reprints the very first Richie Rich story from Little Dot # 1 and has a much better cover.

Regarding the picture of the 7.0 Harvey Hits # 9 posted above, I'm dying to know why it didn't grade higher. The four corners of the book all look very nice and I can't see any kind of flaws on the rest of the cover.

I may resub the #9, but I just have a hard time giving CGC an additional $30 when they screwed up (IMO) grading it the first time.

Regarding the 3-D Dolly #1 and Richies first cover appearance. Even with an open mind, I can't see it. He is a kid in shorts and has a bow tie. I'd go as far as prototype likeness but thats about it. The main thing is the hair doesn't match and the non red bowtie. If there were no Richie story, nobody would even consider that to be Richie Rich. Plus the cover is ugly, nobody likes 3-D comics, and there are a jillion copies out there so stop mucking up the Richie Rich key books.

Its bad enough that this book is out there at all, and as an ugly 3-D non colorized reprint. The horror.

At least its not as bad as the Daffy Duck first appearance being the Duck Hunt book. Now I need to figure out Woody Woodpeckers first cover appearance. I think he was on the back cover of a New Funnies ad.

Curious to know ft88, have you ever re-submitted a book to CGC for a re-grade? I'd like to know what people get the 2nd time around. Also, do the graders themselves know the book has been resubmitted, or is it treated like any other comic that has not been previously graded?

I agree with you about the 3D Dolly book regarding Richie Rich and about 3D books in general, they aren't good! However, at the time that book was printed, Richie Rich had only been featured in two stories up to that point in time so the characteristic of always being drawn exactly the same way may not have been set in stone yet. I mean technically that book is Richie's 3rd appearance in a comic book, even if it was a reprint. That is the only reason I can think of that makes 3D Dolly more valuable than all of the other Harvey 3D titles.

Never resubbed, yet. I usually wind up keeping it or price it too high.

Regarding the 3D Dolly. While it is his 3rd appearance, since he's not on the cover, its a reprint, its horrible 3D, and there are a bunch of copies, I find this issue easy to pass up as a Richie key or even semi key.

Undeniable yet disregardable.

There was a raw Little Dot #1 on ebay recently but I can't remember what the final selling price was. Is there a site that tracks this?

Any gueses on what this one will sell for? What would you grade this one at? Kind of hard to tell from the auction listing. I'll request a nicer scan and post it.

No offense at all, I know my price is fairly high. Its a book I enjoy owning and rather than just saying "its not for sale"; I put a high price on it. One I wouldn't feel guilty selling it for. Its not the books you don't sell or buy at a show that you feel bad about, its the ones you let go that you miss the most.

Ed

So how much is high on this one?

I asked for $900, Jeranimal was going to buy it too (with trade) but then ebay had a decent raw VG for $200 that he bought, so I still get to keep this one.

BTW, I found the Little Dot 6 CGC 5.5 and bought it. I figured what the hell, its a book I like and this thread got me going. Plus I've only seen this and one other copy for sale ever. When is another nice copy going to come around? I think it was 5x guide but with Overstreet having it the same price as #5, guide is kind of a joke.

Ed

That Dot # 1 on E-bay now looks like it's pretty decent, at least for that issue. If I were the seller I'd add more detail about the overall condition of the book. The few I've seen for sale usually have one thing in common and that is the two staples are deeply impacted into the spine and thus makes separation from the front cover that much more common. This book looks a bit nicer than the one from a couple of weeks ago and that went over $1,400.00 so this one should do at least that well if not considerably better.

While having that issue is nice, you can get the Richie Rich story in two other comics as a reprint: Harvey Hits # 9 and Richie Rich Dollars and Cents # 5. And if 3D works for you there is always 3D Dolly # 1 which also reprints the first RR story.

FT88, I don't think your asking $900 for a 7.0 Harvey Hits # 9 is all that out-of-line, considering the highest graded at 9.4 is priced at over $5,500.00. I think only 7 or so have been CGC'd, and one of them had restoration. The reason you see less of these graded than Harvey Hits # 3 is because some of the file copies of # 9 received water damage during storage.

I asked for $900, Jeranimal was going to buy it too (with trade) but then ebay had a decent raw VG for $200 that he bought, so I still get to keep this one.

BTW, I found the Little Dot 6 CGC 5.5 and bought it. I figured what the hell, its a book I like and this thread got me going. Plus I've only seen this and one other copy for sale ever. When is another nice copy going to come around? I think it was 5x guide but with Overstreet having it the same price as #5, guide is kind of a joke.

Ed

That's a nice looking Little Dot#6. thumbsup2.gif

Metropolis comics had a Little Dot #1 for $700. I think it was a VG/F. I didn't pull the trigger but somebody else did! makepoint.gif