• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Marvel artists of all time !!!

67 posts in this topic

Regarding Buscema and the fact that his work wasn't "broken out in guide"...

Let's say that the entire Silver Surfer run was done by Larry Lieber and Silver Surfer 4 is as it stands today. You don't think that issue would be broken out in guide? I just don't buy that as an argument. Buscema usually worked on long runs of books (Conan, Silver Surfer, Subby, Avengers).

Barry Smith's run on Conan was about as long as Buscema's run on Silver Surfer, and he is still most definitely broken out in the Guide. There is a big drop off in price between the end of the Smith run on Conan and the beginning of the Buscema run, which speaks volumes about how the market views the 2 artists.

I'm not trying to pick on Buscema here, just trying to explain one of the factors that went into the selection process for my top 10. flowerred.gif

Regarding Buscema and the fact that his work wasn't "broken out in guide"...

Let's say that the entire Silver Surfer run was done by Larry Lieber and Silver Surfer 4 is as it stands today. You don't think that issue would be broken out in guide? I just don't buy that as an argument. Buscema usually worked on long runs of books (Conan, Silver Surfer, Subby, Avengers).

Aside from the SS 4 cover, what has Buscema really done that stands out from the crowd? confused-smiley-013.gif

His long run of Avengers. Look at Avengers 61 for an example. Also look at his later run of Avengers. Buscema had a strong sense of proportion and it made his work look more "realistic"

Aside from the SS 4 cover, what has Buscema really done that stands out from the crowd? confused-smiley-013.gif

The entire Silver Surfer run, for one.

If the SS 4 cover is the only Buscema work that you think stands out, then I'm shocked.

By 'stand out' I mean enough to warrant a place in the top ten Marvel artists EVER. I am sorry, but I just can't think of any other work he has done that qualifies.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed his work on Silver Surfer, The Avengers and Thor also, but none of the work was extraordinary.

If you think that Jim Starlin deserves a place in the top ten and Buscema doesn't, then I just don't have anything to say beyond this: Starlin isn't even a fraction of the artist that Buscema was. Starlin on his best day couldn't touch the worst of Buscema's SA work.

If you think that Jim Starlin deserves a place in the top ten and Buscema doesn't, then I just don't have anything to say beyond this: Starlin isn't even a fraction of the artist that Buscema was. Starlin on his best day couldn't touch the worst of Buscema's SA work.

I absolutely disagree.

Jim Starlin created some truly memorable characters and had a HUGE impact on the Marvel Universe as a whole. He practically single handedly introduced the use of cosmic characters and concepts and widened the scope of the Marvel world. Some of his artwork (particularly in the 1970's) is just stunning.

Not a lot of point debating any further though, as you seem oblivious to the point of view of others, and are obviously blinded to Buscema's ordinariness (probably due to your nostalgia for the SS series 893scratchchin-thumb.gif).

Having said though though, art is very subjective and I CAN understands JB's appeal. I personaly, don't rank him all that highly in terms of greatness however.

Jim Starlin created some truly memorable characters

We're talking about art here, not writing.

(probably due to your nostalgia for the SS series 893scratchchin-thumb.gif).

Since I wasn't even alive when Buscema was working on Silver Surfer, it doesn't appear to be nostalgia.

If you were to make a list, not in any particular order, who the top 10 Marvel artists of all time, who would be on the list? You don't have to personally agree with anyone you put on the list but who would be generally accepted as the greatest Marvel artists of all time? I think as a general consensus the list would look like this.

John Romita Sr. (my fave)

Steve Ditko

Jack Kirby (especially his early covers)

Jim Steranko

Mike Ploog (not sure why)

Todd McFarlane

John Byrne

Barry Windsor Smith (which I truly don't understand as the cover to Avengers #100 is fugly)

Neal Adams (limited work but truly groundbreaking)

Gil Kane (whose 70's work at Marvel, surpasses his 60's stuff at DC)

Would this be the definitive list?

For me personally I would replace BWS, Ploog and Steranko with Ross Andru, John Buscema and Dave Cockrum.

Jim

I would take Byrne off the list and put cockrum in his place other than that I don't think the list needs any changes. The reason everybody thinks byrne is great is because many of his covers are iconic and the worked on a legendary run of X-men with clairmont when he was still good and Terry Austin which is always good.

I am really kinda shocked no one has mentioned J. Buscema's long run on Conan.

Aside from creating some of the Iconic covers of the Silver Age (Avenger's Annual #2, Silver Surfer, etc), his run on Conan redefined that character and showed an immense level of detail, skill and love for the work.

If you want to see master level work in the comics field, Buscema Conan is a nice place to start.

Chris

www.hulk-smash.com

Aside from the SS 4 cover, what has Buscema really done that stands out from the crowd?

Avenger's Annual #2 Cover Art

Avenger's #57 Cover

These are just a couple of the covers that "jump out at you" there are a couple dozen more Silver Age covers from Avenger's and other titles that are just as powerful and masterfully created if not an immediate nostalgia device.

As well, I would prefer to judge John Buscema by the thousands and thousands of pages of gorgeous interior art, that while they might not be glamour pieces that get alot of attention, are some of the finest work in comics people may ever see.

Chris

Are you serious? You think that the art has nothing to do with the creative process??

I give up. foreheadslap.gif

Did you look at the title of the thread? If writers were being considered, do you think that Stan Lee would have been mentioned in every list?

Are you serious? You think that the art has nothing to do with the creative process??

I give up. foreheadslap.gif

Did you look at the title of the thread? If writers were being considered, do you think that Stan Lee would have been mentioned in every list?

I realise that. What I am saying is that Starlin's art was just as important to the creation of his characters and cosmic universe as his writting was. Hence his importance as an artist. foreheadslap.gif

Some good discussion here. My question is this: By "top 10 Marvel artists" do you mean -- the best artists, the most historically important (within the context of comics) artists or the most influential artists?

I think some people are arguing from different perspectives. For instance, Don Heck doesn't fall on any of these lists -- I don't collect his work myself -- and, yet, he was an important artist during Marvel's beginning superhero years.