• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out this sweet page

33 posts in this topic

Rob, my attitude would change.. if I didn't think the prices were out the window. Personally I'm not paying 15,000 dollars for a ho-hum cover done by a not very notable artist.. it just doesn't make sense to me. I can run out and get some artwork by some nationally known artists at that price.. and we're not talking bottom of the barrel stuff like the 15k piece I was just talking about.

The problem isn't that I can't afford to do both, it's that I question the wanting to spend 15k on something like this..it's not a matter of buying something else for the money, it's a matter of why that price makes sense.. and it simply doesn't IMO.

Brian

Rob, my attitude would change.. if I didn't think the prices were out the window. Personally I'm not paying 15,000 dollars for a ho-hum cover done by a not very notable artist.. it just doesn't make sense to me. I can run out and get some artwork by some nationally known artists at that price.. and we're not talking bottom of the barrel stuff like the 15k piece I was just talking about.

The problem isn't that I can't afford to do both, it's that I question the wanting to spend 15k on something like this..it's not a matter of buying something else for the money, it's a matter of why that price makes sense.. and it simply doesn't IMO.

Brian

And an original art collector would say the same thing about high grade comics. They would have a much different perception of value in comics because the thing that drives them is original art. That's my point. What you think about the prices doesn't matter to anyone but you, since you're not an original art collector. Original art doesn't speak to you the way it does to some people, so what you would pay and what an original art collector would pay are, by definition, going to be very, very different figures. The way I see it you might as well be commenting on baseball card or coin prices.

You're also inflating the matter, as you're not going to spend more than $10,000 for any cover unless it's something remarkable either historically or in terms of quality. Here's the range from $7500 to $15,000 from Heritage's archives.

7068 Original Comic Art

Barry Windsor-Smith - Original Unpublished Cover Art for Conan #9 (Marvel, 1971).... Signature Thursday, March 06, 2003 $7,590

6090 Original Comic Art

Sprang - Original Cover Art for Batman: The Sunday ... Signature Sunday, July 07, 2002 $7,648

7316 Original Comic Art

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott - Original Cover Art for The Invaders #32 (Marvel, 1978).... Signature CGC Saturday, October 12, 2002 $8,050

7347 Original Comic Art

Frank Robbins and John Romita, Sr. - Original Cover Art for Giant-Size Invaders #1(Marvel, 1975).... Signature CGC Saturday, October 12, 2002 $8,050

6668 Original Comic Art

Sprang - Cover Recreation of Detective Comics #136 (1991). Signature Saturday, March 16, 2002 $8,050

6807 Original Comic Art

Al Feldstein - Original Cover Art for Weird Science #11 (EC, 1952).... Signature Thursday, March 06, 2003 $8,050

7525 Original Comic Art

Russ Heath - Original Cover Art for Astonishing #8 (Atlas, 1952).... Signature Saturday, October 12, 2002 $8,510

7453 Original Comic Art

Al Feldstein - Cover Art for Weird Fantasy #16 (EC, 1950).... Signature Saturday, October 12, 2002 $8,625

6208 Original Comic Art

Al Williamson - Original Art Cover to Valor Comics #2 (EC1955).... Signature Sunday, July 07, 2002 $8,625

5866 Original Comic Art

Gil Kane and Frank Giacoia - Original Cover Art for Amazing ... Signature Sunday, July 07, 2002 $8,625

5935 Original Comic Art

Dave Cockrum - Original Cover Art for Uncanny X-Men #158 (... Signature Sunday, July 07, 2002 $8,625

6589 Original Comic Art

Jack Kirby - Original Cover Art for Thor #149 (Marvel, 1968). Signature Saturday, March 16, 2002 $8,913

5469 Original Comic Art

Jack Kirby and Syd Shores - Original Cover Art for Captain America #108 (Marvel, 1968). Signature Sunday, November 25, 2001 $9,488

6125 Original Comic Art

Gill Fox - Original Cover Art to Torchy #3 (Quality, 1950).... Signature Sunday, July 07, 2002 $9,488

7328 Original Comic Art

Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta - Original Cover Art for Thor #148 (Marvel, 1968).... Signature Saturday, October 12, 2002 $9,775

18166 Original Comic Art

Jack Kirby and Arthur Caseneuve - Original Cover Art for Speed Comics #22 (Harvey, 1942).... Internet Only Sunday, March 02, 2003 $10,063

7366 Original Comic Art

Neal Adams and Giordano - Original Cover Art to The Brave and The Bold #83 (DC, 1969).... Signature Saturday, October 12, 2002 $10,638

7003 Original Comic Art

Joe Simon - Original Cover Art for Pocket Comics #1 (Harvey, 1941).... Signature Thursday, March 06, 2003 $10,925

6509 Original Comic Art

Ken Kelly - Original Cover Art for Vampirella #6 (Warren, 1970).... Signature Saturday, December 07, 2002 $11,500

7498 Original Comic Art

Robert Crumb - Original Cover for Arcade #1 (Print Mint/ 1975).... Signature Saturday, October 12, 2002 $12,075

6077 Original Comic Art

Harry G. Peter - Original Cover Art for Unpublished Wonder ... Signature Sunday, July 07, 2002 $12,075

6626 Original Comic Art

Al Feldstein - Original Cover Art for Weird Science #8 (EC, 1951). Signature Saturday, March 16, 2002 $12,075

7004 Original Comic Art

Joe Simon (attributed) - Original Cover Art for Champ #20 (Harvey, 1942).... Signature Thursday, March 06, 2003 $13,225

6625 Original Comic Art

Al Feldstein - Original Cover Art for Weird Fantasy #7 (EC, 1951). Signature Saturday, March 16, 2002 $13,800

15666 Original Comic Art

Don Heck and Frank Giacoia - Original Cover Art for X-Men #37 (Marvel, 1967).... Internet Only Sunday, June 01, 2003 $14,950

Not exactly a list of no-names.

But, I'm not all that stubborn.You're entitled to your opinion and I don't need to beat this into the ground, so I'm going to end this here. I think I've made all the points I felt like I needed to make.

That is why Heritage is partnering in their 2nd Famous American Illustrators auction Sat. of San Diego comic-con. Vintage cover/paintings by known illustrators (non-comic bk) at the $5k-$15k price point. gossip.gif

Joanna and Rob,

Just so you guys know, I wasn't debating Original Art VS. High grade comics interms of investment, or as a better collectible. They are 2 seperate things entirely. My opinion differs from Brian's, because I don't think the prices are inflated. I was just giving my personal reasons for deciding not to collect original art at this time, and I've met a few other collectors who feel the same way. I'm a key collector(in comics) and don't care to put together huge runs. So when I get done with my Keys(years from now) I very well may get into art, because it does appeal strongly to me. The Art is the major reason I picked up my first comic, and I would love to own originals from any of my favorite artists. But I just don't want to until I'm reasonably satisfied with my comic collection, and I have a long way to go for that to happen.

Infact, I'd bet a lot of art collectors have already reached their "zenith" in collecting comics, and have switched over to art.

Infact, I'd bet a lot of art collectors have already reached their "zenith" in collecting comics, and have switched over to art.

"Nighthawkcomics" is a good example of this. He is "heartend" on here . . . Hari, you reading? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

That is one of the nicest WW pieces I have ever seen!

The detail was astonishing. It was a gallery piece from the History of the DC Universe Portfolio book.

See the attachment here and below for some of the detail work.

201916-WW3g.jpg.1c8e2a398ae18ad95464cf0be7b18b04.jpg

If you'd like, Steve, I could find the name of the dealer. He might still have it.

I think he sold it. Just looked on his web page and it's not there. The dealer is Albert Moy -- he's got some amazing pieces for sale.

In 2 years, collectors will get their fill of Cgc 9.2, 9.4, etc. then the hi-rollers will hopefully switch to collecting orig. comic, Disney or strip art. They will not be satisfied w/ lithograph reproductions or signed #d ltd edition prints. cloud9.gif

If you'd like, Steve, I could find the name of the dealer. He might still have it.

I think he sold it. Just looked on his web page and it's not there. The dealer is Albert Moy -- he's got some amazing pieces for sale.

Thanks anyway, Joanna. frown.gif I have a terrific WW cover by Mike Nasser (#232) if I ever get it scanned, I will post the original art.

I know Albert very well, he always has great pieces! cloud9.gif

I bought way too much art this past month, so I now have 10 pieces from my collection on ebay 893frustrated.gif