• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAIL Alert * GRAIL Alert * GRAIL Alert . . .

44 posts in this topic

Wally Wood was missing in your EC cover collection, done now with a splendid example, congratulations.yay.gif

Now you need a Frazetta (me too) 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks, Fred.

Something like a FAMOUS FUNNIES cover is way out of my league! hail.gif I think I'm going to have make do with my JOHNNY COMET daily. wink.gif

Mind you, I did see a nice . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This one's a deal five months in the making . . . five long lonely months of sweating things out.

But now, it's cloud9.gif

4ggqag0.jpg

A larger image is now up on my CAF Galleries

Nice Wood. I'd like to meet the OA collector that doesn't like this (or similar) Wood, I'm sure he's out there... Would (no pun) make for interesting conversation!

Nice Wood. I'd like to meet the OA collector that doesn't like this (or similar) Wood

hey buddy - this is a family forum..... 893naughty-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Thats a hard thign to say to someone,

I hope he doesent get the shaft from this board!

Most of the Wood EC Science-Fiction covers that have hit the market these recent years, through Heritage, are being fed by Jim Halperin.

By my reckoning there are four more covers that may make it to auction at some future time.

In order of original publication, here's the first of Halperin's remaining Woods:

303ckeg.jpg

For many collectors, this rates as perhaps the finest (or, at least, most memorable) Wally Wood cover image. Anyone who remembers the notorious MARS ATTACKS bubble-gum cards will notice the similarities (and the knowledgeable collector will know that Wood played a part in the preliminary art that Norman Saunders based his paintings upon).

If this one does make it to auction, watch the ensuing bidding war!

Terry

I have tried unsuccessfully to pry the WS 16 out of Jim's hands for the past several years. I doubt he will want to put it up in auction. If he does, the asking price will be quite high.

Stephen

He also told me that he was a genuine collector of the original art, and not someone who had an interest in controlling the market. The # 16 cover would certainly command mega-bucks if Jim does decide to release.

Anyway, here's the WEIRD SCIENCE # 19 cover - in many ways a companion piece to the # 9 cover:

3y3mzkl.jpg

The EC covers and stories that you see for sale all went through Russ Cochrans auctions in the 1970s-1990s. The art came directly from the EC vaults. The Wood sci-fi covers all went to one collector who in turn sold the bulk to Jim Halperin a few years back.

This one's a deal five months in the making . . . five long lonely months of sweating things out.

But now, it's cloud9.gif

4ggqag0.jpg

A larger image is now up on my CAF Galleries

Holy %$#&$^6^%!$> excuse me, I just fell out of my chair..... hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

are; you sure it is not a forgery (looks too bright) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I have heard of copies made and altered to look original.

Some of the images shown on Heritage's site have been brightened and tend to obscure things like light tanning or glue stains. The image of my own WS # 18 cover is taken from the Heritage permanent archives (so you're seeing a slightly 'cleaned up' version). The 4 cover scans taken from Jim Halperin's web-site, which I've been showing here, are probably more representative of how the originals actually look in person.

I have heard of some copies being made of Wood covers. One of these was (I think) by Bob McLeod, of the cover to WS # 15 (which Stephen has owned . . . twice!! ). The McLeod re-creation was excellent, but clearly labelled a copy. Other copies I've seen are not so good.

Anyway, I've been collecting EC art since 1982 and have had several hundred pages go through my hands over the years. Now, my collecting interests are mainly for cover examples. I like to think I have an eye for these things.

The EC art that went through Russ Cochran had a disclaimer printed on the back of each and every page sold during the time Gaines was still alive. It read:

"Possession of this work of art does not convey to the Possessor the right to copy, reproduce or publish the same. Such rights are expressly reserved to William M. Gaines, Agent, as Copyright proprieter."

That statement's on the back of my own WS # 18 cover, and I'm sure other collectors like Stephen and Paris Fred will tell you the same about their examples.

There's also an almost-invisible imprint, at the top of the artboard (which you probably won't be able to detect on the scan), which reads: "Entertaining Comics" (accompanied by the circular EC badges).

I very much doubt that you'll see any of these tell-tales signs on any forgery - no matter how good. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif