• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAIL Alert * GRAIL Alert * GRAIL Alert . . .

44 posts in this topic

Terry

I have tried unsuccessfully to pry the WS 16 out of Jim's hands for the past several years. I doubt he will want to put it up in auction. If he does, the asking price will be quite high.

Stephen

He also told me that he was a genuine collector of the original art, and not someone who had an interest in controlling the market. The # 16 cover would certainly command mega-bucks if Jim does decide to release.

Anyway, here's the WEIRD SCIENCE # 19 cover - in many ways a companion piece to the # 9 cover:

3y3mzkl.jpg

For comparison's sake, here's a scan of the # 9 cover:

30icpxy.jpg

As I say, very much companion pieces. The # 9 cover has monstrosities looking out . . . the # 19 cover has a monstrosity looking in (okay, it's actually a corpse - but let's not split-hairs!) . . .

Here's a re-creation, of the cover to WEIRD SCIENCE # 15, by Bob McLeod (commissioned for a collector named Glenn Musial).

Interestingly, Bob based his re-creation on the published cover (being unaware that a scan of the original art was available), and managed to be pretty faithfull to the delicate line-work of the original.

Even more interesting, he changed the gender of one of the astronauts . . .

2z8273p.jpg

Wally Wood was missing in your EC cover collection, done now with a splendid example, congratulations.yay.gif

Now you need a Frazetta (me too) 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Funny how things fall into place . . .

I'm now expecting a second Frazetta original within the next week or two.

A finished (monochrome) small-scale painting.

Not exactly something bordering on the fantastic . . . but interesting in its own right.

Watch this space . . .

Wally Wood's 1950s originals are stunning in person. Very delicate use of white out to hi-light the stars in the background of EC or pulp art.

Being the #2 greatest comic book artist behind only Frazetta is not a bad place to be. hail.gif