• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold...the actual books.

49 posts in this topic

Since the last thread was hijacked, I will post the books here.

Not sure how to fix the images. Maybe someone can help me out with that.

Please, no hijacking.

Thanks to Master Chief for putting this all together.

Here ya go october...

Since the last thread was hijacked, I will post the books here. Not sure how to fix the images. Maybe someone can help me out with that.Please, no hijacking. Thanks to Master Chief for putting this all together.
In an effort to provide useful information and hopefully add, on my part, some semblance of meaningful input, I'd like to present a few examples of books I've catalogued as appearing to have some form of treatment applied to enhance their appearance and monetary value.In most cases, the treatments that I have been able to ascertain center on aesthetic repair. Whether it is in some form of cleaning, pressing, or combination of the two, it is my belief they were applied with the intent of returning the book to that of its original condition.That said, I would like to state that I am by no means an expert in the area of restoration detection. Nor am I an expert in restoration treatment techniques and the procedures used therein. I am as much a novice in this area as I am a poster on these boards. So if there is error on my part, or there is opportunity to provide additional educational insight as to something for which I've missed, I would like nothing more than for those with experience to impart their knowledge for the benefit of all.Prior to posting an example, I will make an effort to determine if it has seen previous board discussion. If after posting it is noticed that the book in question has indeed been aired earlier, please let me know and I'll delete it. Thx!***************** Planet Comics #38 (nee Crowley Copy) In a matter of five months, this 9.2 designated Crowley Copy was purchased, treated, recertified as an un-designated 9.6, and then resold at auction for a positive gain.The example appears to have been cleaned and pressed. Soiling, staining and minor creasing which appear on the original book have been removed, for the most part, upon examining the touched version.The 9.6 (0044751005) was graded on October 10, 2002 and has become the highest graded copy to date. The 9.2 (0010526002) is no longer searchable in the CGC certification database.Certification/Resale Provenance:Certification/Resale ProvenanceResource Links: Planet Comics #38 (9.2) Crowley Copy Planet Comics #38 (9.6)
9.2 Crowley Copy Front 9.2 Crowley Copy Back
9.6 Front (nee Crowley Copy) 9.6 Back (nee Crowley Copy)
Appreciate the kind comments one and all. I will continue to post examples as time permits ... This next one will make you sick to your stomach and leave you shaking your head wondering why. Quite unfortunate really. The extent that some will go for the sake of profiteering is simply amazing.If you have the time, I recommend you examine the hi-res scans to gain a full appreciation for the level of treatment done to this very small part of comic book history.**************** Fighting Yank #26 (Edgar Church / Mile High) Although the piece appears to be pressed, it is the cleaning treatment that is undeniably noticeable. I'm not sure exactly what process was used, but I will venture a guess and say it was more than just dry cleaning. As a result, the cover has lost all character aging and now exhibits an unreal reproduction look.The Church Copy of Fighting Yank #26 was purchased at auction as a CGC certified 8.5 with White Pages in the summer of 2002. It was billed as being "unparalleled in its stunning appeal". At the time, and prior to any manipulation, the Church Copy was the highest graded specimen to date. The copy appeared again at auction in the winter of 2002. This time minus any third-party grading certification. It was sold raw and advertised as a Mile High Pedigree in VF/NM (9.0) condition. The auction description, in part, included the following: "Exhibiting fresh pages, full gloss, and perfectly sharp edges..." and "CGC could not encapsulate the book due to an overhang along the right edge."The original 8.5 copy (0056475003) is no longer searchable in the CGC certification database, and only two copies of Fighting Yank #26 currently appear in the CGC census. One copy in 8.0 and the other in 5.0 condition respectfully.Certification/Resale Provenance:Fighting Yank #29 (Church Copy) Certification/Resale ProvenanceResource Links: Fighting Yank #26 (8.5) Edgar Church/Mile High Fight Yank #26 VF/NM (Raw) Edgar Church/Mile High Images:

Fighting Yank #26 (8.5) Edgar Church / Mile High

Fighting Yank #26 VF/NM (Raw) Edgar Church / Mile High
The following example provides an excellent illustration of what, in my opinion, constitutes disassembly and reassembly pressing treatments. So dramatic are the before and after images that one may safely assume the procedure involved removing the staples to individually press the cover and interior pages, then re-assembling the component parts to press as a complete unit.One particular area of note concerning this piece is the degradation in page quality between certified versions. The treatment procedure, coupled with perhaps an over-zealous restorer, may have contributed directly to producing this unexpected and dire consequence. As a result, the decline in quality destroyed any hope of manufacturing a FMV upwards of $10,000.*************** Sub-Mariner Comics #1 First appearing at auction in October of 2002, this solid mid-grade copy of Sub-Mariner Comics #1, with cream to off-white pages and bearing a label comment of "two detached center wraps", sold for a respectable amount.Three months later the book reappeared at auction. This time with a slight up-tick in its numeric grade and branded with a new text notation stating "2 small pieces of tape on centerfold; slightly brittle pages". The modified version met with reduced interest and realized a 22% loss from its original state. The evidence of pressing, slight cleaning, and the reattached center wraps went unnoticed and were not disclosed.The 5.5 version (0064593001) was certified on November 27, 2002 and is positioned on the CGC census at the median grade. The original 5.0 (0055242008) is no longer searchable in the certification database.Certification/Resale Provenance:Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) PerformanceResource Links: Sub-Mariner Comics #1 CGC VG/FN 5.0 Sub-Mariner Comics #1 CGC FN- 5.5 Images:Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) Front Cover ComparisonSub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) Rear Cover ComparisonSub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) Edge Comparison
For some reason Triple Crown incarnations are really facinating. Probably because of that try, try, try again, year after year, effort. crazy.gifAll Star Comics #43 CGC 8.0 All Star Comics #43 CGC 8.5 All Star Comics #43 CGC 9.2 LewisWayne Gallery AllStar_43CGCx3.jpg
This next case study spotlights a particular surface area condition commonly called "cover transparency". Characteristically apparent in older books with light colored surface areas, it is best defined as being able to see the printing on the inside of the comic from the outside cover surface.I have documented numerous examples of original books displaying cover transparency, only to have the condition removed from the subsequent version as a result of some apparent treatment technique. More often than not, the transparent feature is replaced with solid, vibrant color and the book's aged personality gives way to a manufactured newsstand appearance. I could be wrong, but to me, this is an clear indication that work has been performed. *************** BLACKHAWK #11 Sparsely described in its 2002 auction debut, this Very Fine copy of Blackhawk #11 realized a price 30% less than its pre-auction estimate.Thirteen months later, the same book reappeared at auction in Near Mint condition following a clean and press makeover. With a description denoting the highest certified grade to date, the manipulated version surpassed its original purchase price by 300%.The 9.4 version (0064423007) is not searchable in the CGC certification database. It has been zeroed out. The book has been resubmitted and carries a third serial number.Two copies of Blackhawk #11 are ranked at the 9.4 position on the CGC census. They are the Mile High and Big Apple pedigree copies. One lone copy sits atop the census; that particular book is in Near Mint+ (9.6) condition. Certification/Resale Provenance:Blackhawk #11 PerformanceResource Links: Blackhawk #11 (8.0) Blackhawk #11 (9.4) Images:Blackhawk #11 (8.0)Blackhawk #11 (9.4)Blackhawk #11 (8.0) & (9.4) Corner Comparison
In the previous post I tried to provide a representation of cleaning. Perhaps I missed the mark and the example was, at best, inconclusive. However that may be, it is my belief that the following specimen provides clear confirmation of manipulation. *************** Blond Phantom #13 Purchased as a Very Fine+ copy in the summer of 2002, this 1947 Timely had an unmistakable marking within, and to the lower right, of the title caption. Additionally, the presence of soiling and minor creasing was visually apparent on the back cover surface area.Six-months later the copy re-emerge as a Near Mint- and bearing a new serial number. Appearing to be cleaned and pressed, the copy was advertised in part as having "very little in the way of defects" and promoting a back cover that was "clean and white". The obvious pencil marking in the title area was removed, with just the slightest of horizontal lines remaining in the red colored area. The 9.2 version (0044759004) is currently ranked as number two on the CGC census. The original 8.5 version (0048090015) is no longer available in the verification database.Certification/Resale Provenance:BF_13_performance.gif" alt="Blonde Phantom #13 PerformanceResource Links: Blonde Phantom #13 (8.5) Blonde Phantom #13 (9.2) Images:bf_13_8.jpg" alt="Blonde Phantom #13 (8.5)bf_13_9.jpg" alt="Blonde Phantom #13 (9.2)bf_13_animation.gif" alt="Blonde Phantom #13 Cover Marking Animation
Here's another treatment sample which may further illustrate indiscriminate erasure fueled by a lust for short-term profit.In this particular case, the example in reference exhibited a resemblance to other books that may have originated from the personal collection of comic book mail order catalogue pioneer William J. Thailing. Unfortunately, the unwarranted manipulation led to the removal of this book's unique personality, and the validation of its genealogy will forever go unchecked.*************** Thrilling Comics #1 Displaying white pages and a distinctive black "S" grease pencil mark in the book's logo area, this Very Fine copy of Thrilling Comics #1 sold just under its pre-auction estimate. Seven-months later the book resurfaced, this time without the unique "S" and re-graded as a Near Mint -. Also missing from the copy was a light "25.00" pencil mark which was unobtrusively located in the upper left-hand corner of the original back cover surface. The 9.2 manufactured version of Thrilling Comics #1 is currently ranked number one on the CGC census dated August 21, 2006. The 8.0 original has been removed from the certification database.Certification/Resale Provenance:tc_1_performance.gif" alt="Thrilling Comics #1 PerformanceResource Links: Bill Thailing "S" Collection Thrilling Comics #1 (8.0) Thrilling Comics #1 (9.2) Images:tc_1_8.jpg" alt="Thrilling Comics #1 (8.0)tc_1_9.jpg" alt="Thrilling Comics #1 (9.2)tc_1_edgepics.jpg" alt="Thrilling Comics #1 Edge Comparison
The path this one takes is interesting...July 2005 Shadow Comics V9#2 CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages. "This is currently the highest grade awarded by CGC for this issue." March 2006 Shadow Comics V9#2 CGC NM 9.4 on Ebay, reserve not met.May 2006 goes back to Heritage Shadow Comics V9#2 CGC NM 9.4Of course the 8.0 is no longer in the census.15072014020o.jpg820113011o.jpg
This next case is pretty interesting in and of itself. Not because the issue is currently ranked #32 on Overstreet's list of most valuable Golden Age books, but rather for the reason that it presents some interesting points of study between the graded versions.*************** All Winners Comics #1 Described as a "dazzling copy" in its March 6, 2003 auction debut, this CGC graded 8.5 Golden Age key sported a clearly identifiable dust shadow along its left front-cover edge.Appearing again seven months later, the 1941 Timely was re-graded as a 9.2 and branded with a description befitting its newly certified grade. With special emphasis on its census topping position, the copy achieved a purchase price 180% greater than its original close. The clarity and depth of the dust shadow was somehow minimized.The 9.2 version of All Winners Comics #1 is currently raked number two on the CGC census. It was eclipsed by the 9.6 Chicago Pedigree copy on March 4, 2005. The original 8.5 copy is no longer searchable in the Collectors' Society certification database. In my opinion this piece has been cleaned and pressed.Perhaps the cleaning was by dry technique with specific attention to the oxidation shadow and the soiled areas of the spine and lower-rear cover. It is interesting to note the marked change in the consistency of the shadow within the yellow region above the cape. In contrast, there is little, if any, change to the red cape and yellow portion directly beneath it. The area below Sub-Mariner's arm remains unchanged. The mitigation of spine creases and the slight staple movement may provide visual clues to pressing. In addition, the realignment of the cover wrap, evident in the lower-left corner of the back cover, suggests this type of treatment. Weather the book was pressed intact or disassembled is debatable.Certification/Resale Provenance:awc_1_performance.gif" alt="All Winners Comics #1 PerformanceResource Links: All Winners Comics #1 (8.5) All Winners Comics #1 (9.2) Images:awc_1_front.jpg" alt="All Winners Comics #1 (8.5) & (9.2) Front Cover Comparisonawc_1_back.jpg" alt="All Winners Comics #1 (8.5) & (9.2) Back Cover Comparisonawc_1_edgecomparison.jpg" alt="All Winners Comics #1 (8.5) & (9.2) Edge Comparison

Oh well... Here's the book's info anyway. I have no idea why it converts MasterChief's images back to hypertext. confused-smiley-013.gif
This next example does not exhibit manipulation on the scale that some may have demonstrated previously. On the contrary. The work this particular specimen portrays, in my opinion, is of a subtle nature. Nonetheless, it is offered here for that very reason, in addition to something else that I personally find rather interesting. That being: the relationship it holds to another book that has seen recent public discourse.*************** Master Comics # 22 Originally sold in the summer of 2005 as a VF+ copy, this desirable Golden Age issue saw strong interest and sold for an amount just under the fair market value of a higher-graded VF/NM counterpart. Following its initial public sale, and in the span of 25 working days, the 8.5 Fawcett was treated, graded, and re-encapsulated as a 9.2 copy – thus moving into its current 2nd place position on the CGC census. The book was auctioned again at the beginning of 2006, but this time it met with reduced interest. Even so, the copy achieved a price $2,500 more than its original take. The newer version of Master Comics #22 (0717287002) was graded on September 19, 2005. It carries a subsequent serial number to that of the altered version of Sensation Comics #1 (0717287001) Crowley Copy. As far as I have been able to ascertain, no other book is serialized following this numbered sequence. The older version of Master Comics #22 is not searchable in the CS database. After conducting an studied examination of the high-resolution images, I believe the copy was slightly treated by a combination of cleaning and pressing technique. The soiling, which was predominantly visible on the rear cover surface area, shows of minor cleaning improvement. While the easing in the appearance of both a lower-left edge crease and a slightly blunt corner may have been produced by pressing.

Certification/Resale Provenance:mc_22_performance.gif" alt="Master Comics #22 Performance

Resource Links: Are these the same book? Master Comics #22 (8.5) Master Comics #22 (9.2)

Images:mc_22_8.jpg" alt="Master Comics #22 (8.5)mc_22_9.jpg" alt="Master Comics #22 (9.2)mc_22_llc_front.jpg" alt="Master Comics #22 Edge Comparisonmc_22_urc_back.jpg" alt="Master Comics #22 Edge Comparison

A friend and I were discussing the history of a particular book he had tracked for quite a while. Painting a picture of its chronological movement from venue to venue, and grade incarnation to grade incarnation, he closed his story on a consequential note: "I feel sorry for the current owner", pausing just for a second, he then stressed, "That's why you need to do your homework on these high end books. You could really get burned!"

Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania)

The first publicly recorded auction of this Pennsylvania copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #37 took place on December 7, 2002. Advertised with special emphasis on its Hitler cover and the ability of Timely's to sell at multiples of guide, the Very Fine (8.0) copy was listed with an Overstreet book value of $1,080. By the auction's close, the item did not sell. It failed to receive bids equal to or greater than the reserve amount set by the consignor.

Eleven months later the same book returned to the auctioning block. There was no change in the copy's appearance or label; and for the most part, the lot description was the same. However, the noted Overstreet value saw a slight increase and was identified as being $1,144. Once more, the auction met with the same result. Five bidders fell short of the minimum bid and the item remained unsold.   

On April 4, 2004 – five months after the second auction – the book returned for a third and final try. This time the book was completely different. Gone was the old blue universal label with its Very Fine (8.0) grade notation, replaced by a new label and branded with a census-topping grade of Near Mint (9.4). With the book described in part as being in an "extremely uncommon grade" and the "highest graded copy to date", it had no problem selling. Eight bidders drove the successful bid to $8,912. More than 4X its pre-auction estimate.

The treated Pennsylvania copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #37 tops the CGC census. The next highest grade is one lone copy at the 8.5 position; just half a grade from where the original Pennsylvania used to be.

Certification/Resale Provenance:

mmc_37_performance2.gif" alt="Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania) Performance

Resource Links:

Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania) (8.5) 1st Auction

Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania) (8.5) 2nd Auction

Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania) (9.4) 3rd Auction

mmc_8.jpg" alt="Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania) (8.0)

mmc_9.jpg" alt="Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania) (9.4)

mmc_37_backcover_edgecompare.jpg" alt="Marvel Mystery Comics #37 (Pennsylvania) (8.0) & (9.4) Edge Comparison

In her article The Restoration of Comic Books: 1982-2002, noted restoration expert Susan Cicconi wrote: “I truly feel that once you remove staples from a comic book, you are altering the book; therefore I would consider this restoration. ...Noticing that staples have been removed from a comic book will always open a book up to suspicion as to whether anything else may have been done to the cover or interior pages.”

More Fun Comics #71

Displaying a book-length reading crease, off-centered staples, and an accumulation of other noticeable defects, this well-used copy of More Fun Comics #71, graded Very Good/Fine (5.0), realized an auction price roughly 88 percent of the advertised Overstreet Very Good (4.0) value.

Six-months later, a second auction re-listed the More Fun copy. Exhibiting evidence of reading crease realignment to the cover spine axis, lateral leftward movement in staple placement, and a noticeable increase in edge color flaking, the re-certified copy carried a universal color-coded label with a 5.5 grade notation. At auction close, the manufactured copy sold for approximately 142 percent of its original auction value.

Publicly auctioned again in 2005, the manipulated version bore a third certification label with another new serial number; however, this time the book displayed no appreciable evidence of treatment.

Currently, both serial numbers imprinted on the second and third CGC labels are searchable in the Collectors’ Society certification database. The second number (0072797004) needs to be deleted to reflect an accurate population report.

mfc_71_performance.gif" alt="More Fun Comics #71 Performance

Resources:

The Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide, Second Edition

More Fun Comics #71 (5.0)

More Fun Comics #71 (5.5)

More Fun Comics #71 (5.5)

mfc_71_5.jpg" alt="More Fun Comics #71 (5.0)

mfc_71_5-1.jpg" alt="More Fun Comics #71 (5.5)

mfc_71_edgecomparison.jpg" alt="More Fun Comics #71 Edge Comparison

I don't want to derail this thread and it should stay as clean as possible so I'd suggest keeping comments to a minumum but I think there needs to be some clarification...More than likely the More Fun was not dis-assembled. It was probably just pressed to remove the spine roll. This re-aligned the staples without removing them. The back cover corner is decieving because the lighting is different in the two scans but if you look carefully you can still see the creases on the bc corner of the 2nd book. The dust shadow was possibly removed with dry cleaning. gossip.gif

R.

I'd like to know who did the resto on these books. The work done, is quite impressive. And I really think that in some circumstances the restoration done, (whether it was intended to be detected or not), has in a way conserved these books and has certainly improved the overall eyeappeal, for sure.

Sure. The accumulated defects of 50 years of handling and storage that devalued the book to a lower grade have been removed. Its a better looking and graded book now. So lets fix ALL books that never survived in NM shape to their original shape, right? Is that your point?

Of course the eye appeal is much improved. So lets fix em all, release their potential and make ALL books as pretty as they can still possibly be! Why not? Who cares as long as they look good again?

Added...

nelsonquote.gif

Sensation Comics #35

Certified by CGC in 2002, this copy of Sensation Comics #35 with a double cover was assigned a grade of VF/NM (9.0) and encapsulated with a Qualified label. A descriptive notation marked its green label that read “Interior and exterior cover switched. (1st cover 9.0 interior cover 7.0)".

The green-labeled copy listed at auction in August of 2003 with a simple text description mentioning its qualifiers. Six individuals participated in the bidding and the item sold for $776.

Four months following the auction, CGC re-certified the copy. The book received a new grade of NM (9.4) printed on a blue Universal label with a text notation of “1st cover 8.0 interior cover 9.4". No comment mentioned the book’s disassembly or the switching of the covers.

The new blue-labeled copy premiered at auction on April 4, 2004. Advertised with a focus on its ranking as the “nicest that CGC has certified to date”, three bidders drove the final hammer price to $1380.

As of August 21, 2006, the new version of Sensation Comics #35 maintains its status as the highest graded copy to date on the CGC Census. The original version (0055957020) is no longer searchable in the population database.

sc_35_performance.gif

Resource Links:

The New Pressing Project Results

Sensation Comics #35 Double Cover (9.0)

Sensation Comics #35 Double Cover (9.4)

sc_35_coverfront.jpg

sc_35_coverback.jpg