• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Sale: Fantastic Four #1 CGC'd !!

67 posts in this topic

news.gif New scans posted on Page 4 of this thread news.gif

Hi Guys, I'm placing my Fantastic Four #1 up and taking offers at this point. I do have a price point set in my mind and looking to see if there's any serious interest here before it's offered up to the open public.

Details: It's graded Apparent 8.0 Moderate Professional. The restoration includes colour touch, pieces added (to repair the marvel chipping on the outer edge) tear sealed and cover cleaned. The page quality is off-white to white. Shipping will be included on an accepted offer.

Here's a couple quick pic's. I'll have better pic's later tonight or this weekend and I can always PM anyone extra pics too. Thanks guys thumbsup2.gif

FFCGCd.jpg

FFCGCFront1.jpg

Here's the GPA on this one. Looks like $2200 to $2700 is a good range.

SP (8.0) - 3,050.09 (1) 3,050.09 - 3,050.09 - Mar 2005 Marvel Com 1 1961 1

SA (8.0) (6) 2,550.61 (3) 2,930.45 - 3,176.36 3,790/1,154 May 2006 Marvel Com 1 1961 1

SA (8.0) Trimmed - 77.95 (1) 77.95 - 77.95 - Dec 2005 Marvel Com 1 1961 1

SA (8.0) Item recorded as sold/relisted by seller - 3,649.99 - - 3,649.99 - Dec 2004 Marvel Com 1 1961 1

EP (8.0) (2) 2,041.25 (1) 2,300.00 - 2,300.00 2,300/1,782 Mar 2005 Marvel Com 1 1961 1

MP (8.0) - 2,300.00 (1) 2,300.00 - 2,300.00 - Jan 2006 Marvel Com 1 1961 1

Yes.. I've looked over the GPA myself... but that well tell one side of the story. Past performance. There is also consideration given to availability of the book in certain grades. How key the book is. Seller's time frame and the right buyer. This is one book I'm not worried will move, nor concerned about moving. If it sells then great, if it doesn't, then great. If someone can find this book and pay only $2,300 to $2,700 then tell me and I'll buy another.

that attitude just makes me want to buy stuff from you immediately

wasn't meant to sound brash or rude flowerred.gif but every person has his/her price(both sellers and buyers). As a buyer, many will use the GPA as the bible and think they're going to get it cheaper then that and make a point to try and do so. I'm just saying that there is a lot more to factor into a book then those numbers. And, unlike many sellers who want to dump books quickly I'm not concerned if it goes quickly or not, but I'm not about to sell the farm on a book just because someone wants something for nothing either.

Yes.. I've looked over the GPA myself... but that well tell one side of the story. Past performance. There is also consideration given to availability of the book in certain grades. How key the book is. Seller's time frame and the right buyer. This is one book I'm not worried will move, nor concerned about moving. If it sells then great, if it doesn't, then great. If someone can find this book and pay only $2,300 to $2,700 then tell me and I'll buy another.

Availability of the book in certain grades and how key the book is are already factored into the GPA data. Chances are that when collectors interested in investment books on the market, he/she will do some research before bidding/purchasing. So the data at GPA reflects the fact that collectors go to CGC consensus, overstreet, heritage auctions archive, etc.

How key the book is...hmm. If someone decides to dish out $2300 for a book, they bloody hell better know what they are getting!

my 2 cents.

Pete

I think the issue is that when a book is offered without a price people look to the most likely way of establishing a range and recent past sales seems to be a good way. If your price is not based on past sales then it is likely you will have to spell it out for your potential buyers, To help eliminate all of the shots in the dark. Just my 2 cents. It is a great looking book by the way.

On a side note there is a 6.5 Slight (A) top trimmed on clink that got $2250 I don't know how much the percentage drops from Slight to Moderate and then raises from 6.5 to 8.0. What is your price range?

CW... you make some good points. You can also see how things fluctuate in prices by the clink example. a 6.5 SA sold for $2,250. I'm not going to beat around the bush. People take that GPA and will use it for trying to grind for the best price possible. That's fine. Nothing wrong in looking out for number one!!! Of course these are the people that wait a loooong time for what they want. I'm from a different school of thought. If I want a book bad enough and it's important for me to have it. I negotiate with the seller and comprimise on a price that we're both satisfied with once the transaction is done, and my experience is that I've paid way over GPA each and everytime on Strange Tales books because I want them and I'm comfortable paying to get them. So that raises another question. How important is this book to someone that they'll meet my price expectation. I will say that I wouldn't take less then $4,750 and it'll be priced higher then that when consigning it because I will compensate for commissions and bids. This is the type of book that isn't going to be "priced to move" or within a lot of buyer's everyday price range. You can't compare the selling techniques of this book to someone selling a CGC 9.8 modern that everyone already owns. With that... maybe a moderator could remove this thread from the forums.

That is 1 Fantastic price 4 a book that most people will never see in this condition! poke2.gif

Seriously...no trimming, moderate pro resto...If i was an FF collector I'd be all over this like a fly on [embarrassing lack of self control]

At that price that book should fly...considering an unrestored will cost you over $20,000. I know it goes against GP but i would pay over GP if i was a FF fan for this book.

cloud9.gif

R.

That is 1 Fantastic price 4 a book that most people will never see in this condition! poke2.gif

Seriously...no trimming, moderate pro resto...If i was an FF collector I'd be all over this like a fly on [embarrassing lack of self control]

At that price that book should fly...considering an unrestored will cost you over $20,000. I know it goes against GP but i would pay over GP if i was a FF fan for this book.

cloud9.gif

R.

My thoughts exactly... that is why I priced it as such and was thinking I was alone on my logic.

Why would the mods remove this thread? confused.gif

Your best bet is just to list the book on Comiclink/Ebay/etc... & see what happens. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Beyonder... way ahead of you there! I actually talked to Doug and Mark and will be having it listed on both sites at the same asking price. Should be up on Pedigree tonight and Esquire hopefully sometime on the weekend.

It's a very nice looking book and I wish you luck on getting the price you want.

I'm curious what the grade was before the Moderate (P) and how much the moderate (P) cost to have done.....

I understand not wanting to share this information, but some of us have a tough time valuing a restored key and GPA is not the end all answer as you've indicated also.

Color touch, pieces added at edge, tears sealed, cleaned and pressed.....

If it was a VG before restoration of the edge chipping etc then it was likely a $2,000-$2,500 book and then the restoration could easily cost $1500 or more depending on who you had do the work. So $4,000 as a starting point easily understandable. Whoever got the one that's listed in GPA as Mod P did very well.

Not many VG candidates can be improved up to an 8.0 inexpensively....

Color touch, pieces added at edge, tears sealed, cleaned and pressed.....

If it was a VG before restoration of the edge chipping etc then it was likely a $2,000-$2,500 book and then the restoration could easily cost $1500 or more depending on who you had do the work. So $4,000 as a starting point easily understandable. Whoever got the one that's listed in GPA as Mod P did very well.

Not many VG candidates can be improved up to an 8.0 inexpensively....

Collin, you just brought up a point I was trying to put on paper from my mind. Also, I just want to point out that the cover was only cleaned, it wasn't pressed. thumbsup2.gif