• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age keys #11-20??

65 posts in this topic

I don't think anyone has mentioned Marvel Special Edition #15 (?) - 1st MOKF. If Iron Fist makes the list of Bronze Keys, shouldn't Shang-Chi? MOKF was a pretty popular title (didn't it # into the 100's?). Add in the Bruce Lee/Kung-Fu mania in the 70's.....you gotta have 1st MOKF in the Top 30.

And, as I'll take any chance I can to bash it, Iron Fist #14 is not a KEY book!!!!! 1st appearance, yes. Key, no. I still can't understand the reasoning behind it being such a hot book. I mean, would Sabretooth even make your list of best villains/baddies? I'm starting a new thread, dammit!

Chris

is considered a "key" at all is his connection with wolvie.

Which is what? Are they related (as was hinted years ago)? Did the Origin series reveal something (I didn't read it)? He's Wolverine sans the adamantium. I just don't get it......

Chris

Which is what? Are they related (as was hinted years ago)? Did the Origin series reveal something (I didn't read it)? He's Wolverine sans the adamantium. I just don't get it......

And that's the problem. The only thing keeping the issue "hot" is because it once was. And only became hot when collectors/speculators were scrambling to find the next Marvel Spotlight #5 and jumped on IF #14, X-Men #266, X-Men #201, New Mutants #87, etc....

All the things that made the character important (or at least tried to make him seem like a important character) have faded. He obviously not Wolverine's dad. His history with Logan and Weapon X project is forgotten and suggested they were mind implants anyway (and that's an area that no writer wants to wade in especially considering Wolverine's new direction). And finally, he's nowhere to be found in current comics.

Who really actually cares?

Jim

And that's the problem. The only thing keeping the issue "hot" is because it once was. And only became hot when collectors/speculators were scrambling to find the next Marvel Spotlight #5 and jumped on IF #14, X-Men #266, X-Men #201, New Mutants #87, etc....

All the things that made the character important (or at least tried to make him seem like a important character) have faded. He obviously not Wolverine's dad. His history with Logan and Weapon X project is forgotten and suggested they were mind implants anyway (and that's an area that no writer wants to wade in especially considering Wolverine's new direction). And finally, he's nowhere to be found in current comics.

Who really actually cares?

Jim

A voice of reason! You tha' man, Jim!

Chris

Which is what? Are they related (as was hinted years ago)? Did the Origin series reveal something (I didn't read it)?

It seems most likely that Sabretooth is Wolverines brother/half-brother.

And Chris, whether or not you like the book is irrelevant, the market has spoken...the book is a key (at least for now). grin.gif

Which is what? Are they related (as was hinted years ago)? Did the Origin series reveal something (I didn't read it)?

It seems most likely that Sabretooth is Wolverines brother/half-brother.

And Chris, whether or not you like the book is irrelevant, the market has spoken...the book is a key (at least for now). grin.gif

If BYRNE didn't draw Sabertooth's 1st appearance......he NEVER would have made a 2nd one makepoint.gif

whether or not you like the book is irrelevant, the market has spoken...the book is a key (at least for now). grin.gif

And that's the problem....people are buying this comic because someone says it's a Bronze key. If you look at it though, it's significance doesn't add up.

Jim

Heck Brian....the run-up on the book occurred in the early 90s after his appearance in Wolverine #10 and the suggestion he was Logan's father. Way before 1998....

Jim

Heck, you can go all the way back to an interview in the 'Art of John Byrne,' published about 1980, for speculation that 'Tooth was Wolverine's father...

Heck, you can go all the way back to an interview in the 'Art of John Byrne,' published about 1980, for speculation that 'Tooth was Wolverine's father...

Maybe.....but that's not what moved IF #14 from the quarter bins to the back wall.....

Jim

Yes, but what exactly were they speculating ON back then? That he was Wolverine's father? Doesn't seem like worthwhile speculation fodder to me.

Only reason I ask is b/c uou made it sound originall like the book was only valuable due to the movie, which isn't true.

Brian

No the movie had nothing at all to do with it. Where did I say the movie started the price climb?

Back in the early 90s, any hint of importance of characters were speculation back issue fodder. That and the push (now a distant memory) Marvel was giving the character drove the price up. Sabretooth fit the mode perfectly then....now all of that importance is gone but the book continues on as "key".....

Jim

Mmmm... I don't remember that type of push as much as I saw people putting a ton of money into newer stuff. Anyways, I was under the impression the discussion was about the idea that the book is hyped up in price due to the movie..? Oh well, must've missed where it changed.

But yes, there was some of that going on.. and I'd agree with you that the first app of below 100 $ books was very quick to be purchased for intentions of a tidy profit later on tongue.gif

Brian

"MTU 53 - 1st Byrne X-men. Yet it is ignored by a large number of X-collectors"

I haven't read this book in a while, but as I remember it, aren't the X-Men just in like, one panel (splash panel)? I remember reading the OPG growing up and thinking "I've got to get this issue" and then being utterly disappointed that this was considered a Byrne X-Men book. I consider MTU # 53 to be a "Hulk # 180" type of book - destined to [!@#%^&^] off people who pay big money for one panel.