• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibles of the Future?

78 posts in this topic

I'm not out to steal the title of Doom and Gloom poster of the year from more deserving nominees. wink.gif

But yeah the movie you refrence is sort of on the right track. You guys know I joke around here a whole lot, and enjoy making goofy images so don't think for a minute that I'm having a garage sale any time soon.

Not that it's accurate but my doubts about the future are from other areas that don't have anything to do with Collectors spending money; Housing Markets; Paper printing or any of the usual reasons for Doom and Gloom.

If western culture were left alone then sure I think collecting would continue for a few hundred years, maybe even longer.

Feel free to PM me and I'd be forthcoming. tongue.gif

Unless we don't want honesty... then nevermind. Everything's wonderful.

Yeah, well said. Just because we can't imagine collecting yugioh or magic cards or whatever doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm sure coin collectors never saw comics coming either gossip.gif

Do you remember the movie DEMOLITION MAN? It takes place in the distant future where most things are banned. People did collect stuff. I know its only a movie but it felt right. Even digital age kids like physical stuff.

Mmmm! Now I have the urge to go to that fancy high-class restaurant Taco Bell! thumbsup2.gif

Go talk to a 12 year old. See what he/she likes and wants to get. That's what will be collected in 2031. The rule of 25 is ironclad and never fails.

But it has to be something that has a significant shelf life to have that effect. For instance, I doubt if beanie babies will make a huge impact 25 years from now. However, if you asked kids back in the late 90's, that would've been their response.

Go talk to a 12 year old. See what he/she likes and wants to get. That's what will be collected in 2031. The rule of 25 is ironclad and never fails.

But it has to be something that has a significant shelf life to have that effect. For instance, I doubt if beanie babies will make a huge impact 25 years from now. However, if you asked kids back in the late 90's, that would've been their response.

I don't think kids were buying Beanie Babies, I think it was adults.

I still have some crazy.gif

But it has to be something that has a significant shelf life to have that effect.

I disagree, all is needed is a fond memory and a desire to repossess it!

Is that an admission? poke2.gif

But it has to be something that has a significant shelf life to have that effect.

True, but I doubt if the competition would be big enough to drive up prices. I mean sure, I can go to the store and buy every collectable there is, but only a select few would make a huge impact 25 years from now.

Agreed but that fond memory and strong desire usually go hand in hand with products that were around for more than just a blip in time.

This thread reminded me that a freakin' AOL Disk (one of the original floppies) went for something like $9,000 on ebay a short while back. screwy.gif

I think collectibles, in one form or another, will be around for at least as long as there are people and people willing to pay crazy prices for their stuff. grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

This thread reminded me that a freakin' AOL Disk (one of the original floppies) went for something like $9,000 on ebay a short while back. screwy.gif

I think collectibles, in one form or another, will be around for at least as long as there are people and people willing to pay crazy prices for their stuff. grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Not True but I wish it was .

I read somewhere it was a fake

Not True but I wish it was .

I read somewhere it was a fake

Oh see now - here I am trying to perpetuate the collectible hobby and you go and shoot it all to hell. frown.gifwink.gif

Seriously though I was sure I heard that on the TV or radio (not that what the media gives is law or anything). wink.gif

I guess a cool library of computer games is a collection of sorts and are these going to be worth a lot of money when they grow up and re-live their childhood.

There are already video games that are worth more than they sold for originally. Original old RPG's like Phantasy Star and some others are worth big bucks on Ebay. X-Com UFO defense for the Playstation 1 is worth a little more than it originally sold for. I sold my copy on Ebay a year ago for $67.00, then just recently found a copy at a used video game store for $14.99 and bought it back. cloud9.gif When I paid for it, I told the cashier to check Ebay. They usually sell for $55.00-$65.00 regularly.

To answer part of your question, yes I think some video games will be worth quite a bit of money. I don't think it will ever be like comic books. You won't see an original Mario Bros. game selling for Action Comics #1 prices. I also think comic book collecting will decline. The market for new or old comics is not getting any younger. Young people have too many other forms of entertainment diverting their attention away from this medium.

Toys will always be collectibles because every kid buys them versus comics. Toy collectibles today are 4x the sales that comics are........................50 year old men will want the toys they played with. That will never change.

Comics will evolve to becoming masterpieces like the great paintings and will be bought like stock for investments versus for nostalgic reasons. Comic book art will evolve to that status a lot sooner.......................

Comics will evolve to becoming masterpieces like the great paintings and will be bought like stock for investments versus for nostalgic reasons. Comic book art will evolve to that status a lot sooner.......................

By all that is holy, please tell me you aren't really a financial advisor. foreheadslap.gif

By all that is holy, please tell me you aren't really a financial advisor. foreheadslap.gif

This guy has me literally rolling on the floor laughing - please don't stop him. 27_laughing.gif