• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Instant H.G. Marvel Collection, Anyone?

23 posts in this topic

Well, he says 95%+ of the collection is VF/NM or better, but if you look at the slabbed books, there aren't many silver 9.0 and up books at all. And the Spidey 14 isn't slabbed...I looked at his feedback and it looks like many of the books were bought off ebay, which means many books are probably overgraded.

I'm in agreement with you. I have a feeling most of the high guide priced books are in the VF range at best.

He actually sent me an email last night say most of the ASM 100-200 were in VF+ condition and the ones after that were more like NM-. What does that imply about the 14-99 which are the ones that would be worth a decent about.

The problem with auctions like this is that there is a huge difference in price between a VF and a NM. The spread on CGC books for these grades is 1 to 6 (i.e. $50 in VF vs $300 in NM). Obviously, if a few of the Silver-Age books were NM, it could make up for a lot of VF- or lower, but it hard to tell if there are any NM's.

I also tried to do a quick spreadsheet to get a guide value and if most of the Silver-Age books are only VF's, there is no way the collection is valued at $58,000.

It seems to me that "Raw" common books (especially Bronze-Age) get less than 50% guide value if they aren't NM. Is this a correct assumption?

It seems to me that "Raw" common books (especially Bronze-Age) get less than 50% guide value if they aren't NM. Is this a correct assumption?

Yep...the spreads in the guide need to change! Keys do better, but half-guide is about right for VF and lower books from the late silver to present...