• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calvin and Hobbes orig art on Ebay?!

40 posts in this topic

Anyone who knows much about the great Bill Watterson is that he hates commercializing his characters which is partly why he retired. No shirts, no tv cartoons, no plush dolls, just the books. although there was a calender in the 80s. Now THIS

shows up on ebay. My Grandfather used to work for the local paper in virginia and I do remember him giving me a reprint of this. I never understood who calvin was talking about. But if this is legit, I would love to pretend to buy this if I had the money insane.gif. This would be THE only peice of original art Bill did for sale EVER, it seems.

It is the real deal and it is VERY rare. Originally sold by a California art store a few years back. There are a handful of original watercolors like this on the market and about a dozen dailys or Sundays. However if you look at LtdRarities on ebay, you would think that Watterson was pumping out sketches on a daily basis. I'm shaking the change loose from the couch as I type.

That artwork is all going to be sold one day. Anyone that overpays now may regret it when it all hits the market.

Watterson has said as much in interviews, going as far to say he will do it in his lifetime so that he can personally get a laugh at all the people that "overpaid" for his art.

Chris

I might be mistaken, but I recall hearing that Watterson has donated (or at least pledged) all his artwork to the library of his alma mater (Ohio State).

It is on "loan" to Ohio State and I believe it is currently there right now.....

Very funny. I dislike when people I respect and appreciate refuse to sign autographs or make public appearances. I don't understand why they refuse to sign autographs or meet fans. This is one of many things in the world I will never understand.

I have said it before and I will say it again. THEY DO NOT OWE YOU ANYTHING. They published something and you bought it. It can end there.

I don't get it either. Him and Ditko just seem like a pair of grumpy guys. They put out great and revolutionary works, but refuse to have the fans show their appreciation and amusement by having some merchandise or being fan friendly.

Watterson as always been somewhat anti commercial and wanted people to appreciate the cartoon for what he is. What, this guy is being criticized for NOT whoring himself and his creation out? It's not that he's not fan friendly, I genuinely think his personality is reclusive and that's his right to be who he is, not who we want him to be.

I love Watterson and was happy that we got the years of enjoyment and brilliance that we did.

While I understand thecollector's view, I also understand it when a comic strip creator is uncomfortable making public appearances or signing autographs. I'm shy myself; while I've spoken in public, I've never embraced the experience. And this isn't a TV star or some C-list celebrity pumping their latest book/CD/direct-to-DVD release. This is a retired comic strip creator! Let him stay at home and collect his royalties. (CALVIN AND HOBBES is my favorite comic strip, y'understand, and I'd love to hear Watterson speak but I don't think it's owed to me.)

Having said that, let me add: 25 GRAND FOR A FRIGGIN' SINGLE PANEL WATERCOLOR SKETCH?

I am impressed at how knowledgable people on this site are about what's out there. I know some people who have corresponded with Watterson and supposedly gotten a piece of art. People make a bit much of his desire not to do a lot of merchandising or to do a TV series. The concept could so easily be ruined, there's no reason for him to want to do it, especially considering he's moved on from doing the strip itself. As for the availability of the art, I wish he'd unload it all now instead of later, just because my kids are very much into it and it's one of those rare things we both appreciate somewhat equally. Buying it as an "investment" or buying it years from now could never be the same. But having a piece from a strip my kids and I shared a laugh at would be very nice, and I'm sure I'd never sell it unless I absolutely had to, like if the kids needed money for college or if I needed a corvette for a mid-life crisis.

I understand that artist and writers don't owe us anything. I have thought about shying away from writers and artist who are like this. That being said I am going to start selling off items I have which include ditko art aswell as my calvin and hobbes books. Svndst1030 is right they don't owe us anything and in return we don't owe them anything.

I understand that artist and writers don't owe us anything. I have thought about shying away from writers and artist who are like this. That being said I am going to start selling off items I have which include ditko art aswell as my calvin and hobbes books. Svndst1030 is right they don't owe us anything and in return we don't owe them anything.

Of course this is your right, but isn't it about the enjoyment you derive out of the artwork or product? Sounds like you are cutting your nose to spite your face.

I love Ditko artwork and Calvin and Hobbes --

Just b/c a guy signs autographs doesn't make him a "swell" guy.

Bill has every right to be as recluse as he wants to be. He doesn't have to sign autographs or sell his strips if he so chooses. However, it seems to be the job of the crazy fanboy to do or pay what he must (within the law and reason) to get said autograph or original art. How cool would it be to get an autograph of Bill Watterson! What would you guys do to get and autograph or art?