• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1990 News story on comic collecting...

100 posts in this topic

Modern comics have firmly been an adult market for almost 2 decades now, and I can't see that changing. The entire production, distribution and retail markets absolutely love those ultra-high cover prices and the adults that continue to pay the price.

But just like sportscards, they and the hobby will pay the ultimate price.

Where do you get off calling anyone retarded? Who are you anyway? Prices keep going up. Is this a concept you find difficult to understand? Do you have a time machine? Why will comics end up like cards? Never have before. My point, to simplify for you, is that in every instance since 1965 everyone that haspredicted a price plateau has been wrong, including me. I have no idea what future prices will be and neither do you. I do know that for 40 years naysayers and prophets of the fall of comic values have been wrong. Individual books will fluctuate but I see books still selling at silly prices and expect that to continue. We are losing numbers of comic book readers but this has been going on since the 50's. Walt Disney's Comics and stories had print runs in the millions. So what? There still appear to be plenty of people willing to spend large sums of money on comics

keith

Well, now waitaminute, books did take a dip during the late 90s, and there were certainly dealers trying to unload a lot of silver... ebay and CGC hit and bam, comics are back in... but although prices have climbed over the course of 40 years, I don't think it's realistic to counsel that prices will simply keep rising because they haven't leveled off yet...

Well, now waitaminute, books did take a dip during the late 90s, and there were certainly dealers trying to unload a lot of silver... ebay and CGC hit and bam, comics are back in... but although prices have climbed over the course of 40 years, I don't think it's realistic to counsel that prices will simply keep rising because they haven't leveled off yet...

It is amazing how many people feel that comics prices are determined by a fortune teller with an ethereal "magic ball" - "you don't know and neither do I" - when in reality, it's quite easy to see why comic prices have continued to rise, and had their major price spikes in 1989-92 and 2001-2005.

It's not rocket science, and all you need is a basic grasp of mathematics.

Truly one of the world's great thinkers. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Where do you get off calling anyone retarded? Who are you anyway? Prices keep going up. Is this a concept you find difficult to understand? Do you have a time machine? Why will comics end up like cards? Never have before. My point, to simplify for you, is that in every instance since 1965 everyone that haspredicted a price plateau has been wrong, including me. I have no idea what future prices will be and neither do you. I do know that for 40 years naysayers and prophets of the fall of comic values have been wrong. Individual books will fluctuate but I see books still selling at silly prices and expect that to continue. We are losing numbers of comic book readers but this has been going on since the 50's. Walt Disney's Comics and stories had print runs in the millions. So what? There still appear to be plenty of people willing to spend large sums of money on comics

keith

although prices have climbed over the course of 40 years, I don't think it's realistic to counsel that prices will simply keep rising because they haven't leveled off yet...

If it's fair for some people to continuously "counsel" that prices are going to plummet, then it's just as fair for other people to counsel that prices will keep rising. confused-smiley-013.gif

although prices have climbed over the course of 40 years, I don't think it's realistic to counsel that prices will simply keep rising because they haven't leveled off yet...

If it's fair for some people to continuously "counsel" that prices are going to plummet, then it's just as fair for other people to counsel that prices will keep rising. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think either statement are true... I mean let's be fair...

high grade has for years been climbing, but that's a really small sector of the market. The rest of the market has been steady, but I really don't see prices increasing for mid grades. I think this polarized market has to be discussed in those terms.

Prices aren't going to totally tank, but there's been a correction from 2003, as many "top prices" paid are down. On the other hand, some books and their relative scarcity has been revealed and those prices are up.

I think neither statement accurately reflect where the market is going, but I think there will be more going down than going up.

Truly one of the world's great thinkers. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

keith

I'd love to take a poll among the comic collecting community as to who knows more about comics and the comic book market: Keith Contarino or Joe_Collector.

27_laughing.gif What a joke you are, JC.

If it's fair for some people to continuously "counsel" that prices are going to plummet...

What bugs me about this, are the dumbasses who continually spout BS like "I remember someone telling me the EXACT same thing in 1941 when I sold an Action Comics #1 for 25-cents". foreheadslap.gif

Get with the program, we're in 2006, and I couldn't give a rat's butt what some old fart told you in 19XX. I never said that, and I have never, ever, ever stated that we're in for a back issue meltdown before CGC and their slabbed bubble started up. In fact, I've always thought the majority of pre-CGC prices offered a good value, and never advocated selling out at any prior period time.

So please, save your hackneyed old nuggets about Sawdust Sam and his words of comic wisdom from 1965, and start debating the points from a 2006 perspective.

I'd love to take a poll among the comic collecting community as to who knows more about comics and the comic book market: Keith Contarino or Joe_Collector.

He's advocating a never-ending rise on comic prices, until the end of time, and you're laughing at me?

Have you people ever taken an Economics course in your life? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I think neither statement accurately reflect where the market is going, but I think there will be more going down than going up.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, Brian, but there seems to be this political correctness on the boards that permits people to loudly proclaim, ad nauseum, that the values of books will go down, whereas anyone who has the temerity to say that prices will go up is quickly attacked as a speculator and/or a fool.

The fact is there are good arguments for both sides, but there is no need for either side to shout down the other side.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, Brian, but there seems to be this political correctness on the boards that permits people to loudly proclaim, ad nauseum, that the values of books will go down, whereas anyone who has the temerity to say that prices will go up is quickly attacked as a speculator and/or a fool.

Oh yes, I remember with great clarity the number of times you've treated my comic pricing statements with respect. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

i for one agree on wishing i too had kept my early HG SA books back in the early 90's. foreheadslap.gifsorry.gif

This brings up a point as to why, if you guys were so totally wrong about the early-90's, why we should listen to you today. 27_laughing.gif

The fact is there are good arguments for both sides, but there is no need for either side to shout down the other side.

You are absolutely right Tim, and I agree with your point. I think there are plenty of books that are going to climb in value. For instance, the whole thread I had on GL 76 is an example... other books that may climb may be books like HG ECs, and I believe GA will always have a loyal, consistent following.

Where I think JC is most certainly right is if you look at fewer people in the marketplace, it's going to make those already incredibly available mid grades even more plentiful, and even some high grade may not see quite the same level of competition.

Look, I'm around for the long haul -- and I think that the market will remain fascinating to watch.

Since I've got about 20-25+ short boxes of SA and BA 893censored-thumb.gif to blow off to suckers over the next few years, I'd better shut up now.

I can't believe I'm promoting a negative view of comic prices when it's in my best interest to sugar coat it, like the rest of you. foreheadslap.gif

well vince...has the prices ever decreased for early HG SA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif as for the reason why i sold them, girls and partying were more important in my life at that time back then. blush.gif not to mention i was retsoring my 1964 VW micro bus too which i no longer own. tonofbricks.gif

well vince...has the prices ever decreased for early HG SA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif as for the reason why i sold them, girls and partying were more important in my life at that time back then. blush.gif not to mention i was retsoring my 1964 VW micro bus too which i no longer own. tonofbricks.gif

Hope you at least kept a picture of that bus.