• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Streak #1

38 posts in this topic

You might have guessed it already, but the reason why I'm so interested in SS #1 is because I picked up a copy and want to ensure it is 1) the real thing and 1) not restored.

I'm curious about what might be known about the origin of any counterfeits of this book and how they were produced. I don't own one, just idle curiosity.

This book is supposed to have silver metallic ink on the cover, right? I've always been curious about how that looks IRL, and how well it has survived the march of time.

I'd say the Larson is very tough to grade, as it has a giant blotch of mega-foxing right in the middle. At best it's a VG, but honestly I think that's a stretch. The rest of the copy is so nice, though.

Here's another copy of mine (have I mentioned I love this book?):

silverstreak1copy2.jpg

You might have guessed it already, but the reason why I'm so interested in SS #1 is because I picked up a copy and want to ensure it is 1) the real thing and 1) not restored.

I'm curious about what might be known about the origin of any counterfeits of this book and how they were produced. I don't own one, just idle curiosity.

This book is supposed to have silver metallic ink on the cover, right? I've always been curious about how that looks IRL, and how well it has survived the march of time.

Yes, I would like to know as well! smile.gif I've been researching about the existence of a SS #1 counterfeits aggressively on the internet, but haven't found any discussion about i. action1kid says he has one, though and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Actually, it would be nice to have a comparison list of the cf and real thing.

Thankfully, the copy I own has been fairly well maintained. The cover is nice and smooth and above all, it's maintained it's glossiness. And that means the Silver Streak logo with the metallica ink is in great shape, so good it's hard to believe!

markav, I will be posting a scan of the front and back cover on the PGM thread very soon, hopefully by tomorrow.

Peter

I'd say the Larson is very tough to grade, as it has a giant blotch of mega-foxing right in the middle. At best it's a VG, but honestly I think that's a stretch. The rest of the copy is so nice, though.

Here's another copy of mine (have I mentioned I love this book?):

silverstreak1copy2.jpg

Yeah, this would definitely be a nicer copy.

I have never heard of a counterfeit copy of Silver Streak # 1 - I'd really be surprised if something like that existed.

I wonder if someone may be talking about the Alan Light reprint from the old days...

STEVE (make mine Larson)

I have never heard of a counterfeit copy of Silver Streak # 1 - I'd really be surprised if something like that existed.

I wonder if someone may be talking about the Alan Light reprint from the old days...

STEVE (make mine Larson)

Is the Light reprint glaringly distinct from the original? Would the publishing info in the front inside cover read 1973 (or whichever year it was reproduced) or 1939?

Is the Light reprint glaringly distinct from the original? Would the publishing info in the front inside cover read 1973 (or whichever year it was reproduced) or 1939?

It's B&W on the inside - and yes, I think the copyright date is updated.

Still, I've learned never to underestimate the underhandedness - or gullibilty - of some people.

STEVE (make mine Larson)

It's B&W on the inside - and yes, I think the copyright date is updated.

Still, I've learned never to underestimate the underhandedness - or gullibilty - of some people.

STEVE (make mine Larson)

Good chance what I have is the real deal. yipee.

You are 100 percent correct. SILVER STREAK 6 is the 1st Daredevel not silver streak 1.I opologize to the board for that careless error on my part.It is the #6 that has counterfiets not the #1.

I see...I'm glad I caught that. It didn't sink in until later.

Good news that there's no counterfeit.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi mark. I do have a REPRODUCTION OF #6. I would not use the word counterfiet as I do not know if it was used for that purpose . I paid a few bucks for it at a convention 12 years ago so we all knew it was a REPRO.I have to dig it out and its going to take a while because I dont know where it is but I do still own it.I will surely post it when it turns up.Actual size and convincing color cover.

Hi mark. I do have a REPRODUCTION OF #6. I would not use the word counterfiet as I do not know if it was used for that purpose . I paid a few bucks for it at a convention 12 years ago so we all knew it was a REPRO.I have to dig it out and its going to take a while because I dont know where it is but I do still own it.I will surely post it when it turns up.Actual size and convincing color cover.

That would be an Alan Light reprint, I'd wager (he did quite a few books).

STEVE (make mine Larson)