• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #43 Cover sets New Market High!!!!!!!

22 posts in this topic

While the price of this particular piece took me aback, I believe you'll see higher prices yet for comic art -- if and when it's especially iconic, as with the batman 11 that sold for 175K through heritage. Images that can be appreciated by anyone, comic fan or not, but which also feature characters they know about in images they may have seen whethre or not they read comics, will have value. So will images that require no explanation (i.e. that it's the 3rd appearance of the hobgobling, etc.) Art is about getting the image and being taken by it right away. And comic covers were often created to have tyhat effect. Sometimes very well done. I am not sure I would have said the spider-man 43 falls into the category of a cover that grabs even the non-comics fan, but there are enough comics fans out there that prices can hit new heights even then. But for images that are not only great but rare and which strike a chord with imagery that says it all, prices will go further into six figures.

While the price of this particular piece took me aback, I believe you'll see higher prices yet for comic art -- if and when it's especially iconic, as with the batman 11 that sold for 175K through heritage. Images that can be appreciated by anyone, comic fan or not, but which also feature characters they know about in images they may have seen whethre or not they read comics, will have value. So will images that require no explanation (i.e. that it's the 3rd appearance of the hobgobling, etc.) Art is about getting the image and being taken by it right away. And comic covers were often created to have tyhat effect. Sometimes very well done. I am not sure I would have said the spider-man 43 falls into the category of a cover that grabs even the non-comics fan, but there are enough comics fans out there that prices can hit new heights even then. But for images that are not only great but rare and which strike a chord with imagery that says it all, prices will go further into six figures.

thumbsup2.gif